Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 47 & 48 (Dave on holiday?)

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, November 21 and Sunday, November 27.

This is the week that we give thanks for all the blessings in our lives. Use your photographic skill you were blessed with to take and share some pictures!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

I got two days to get out over the extended weekend - so I decided to take the Friday off to head up to a wetland farther north than my usual spot - because it tends to have a few different species than my local parks...then went to my two local spots too.  And I did get some different and less common species, and even a first-time lifer bird I've never seen before.

Starting off with this red-shouldered hawk on lookout:

original.jpg

A spotted sandpiper had decided this capped pipe was a great lookout spot:

original.jpg

My lucky find - and a new lifer to add to my list - this is a migrating bird that usually heads to S. America via Texas, so it's very rare in Florida.  This is a Wilson's warbler:

original.jpg

The gorgeous male northern shoveler:

original.jpg

This gadwall was showing off its belly and stretching its wings:

original.jpg

The colorful and lovely northern parula, here for winter:

original.jpg

Sometimes it's fun to include some human element into a wildlife shot - this great blue heron was coming in low, and as it was passing over the boardwalk it went right past another wetland visitor:

original.jpg

And this time, a great blue heron was flying past with the sun at my back for some nicer color on the bird:

original.jpg

A pair of cooter turtles sharing a log:

original.jpg

And I was able to find the strange and mysterious chuck-will's-widow again:

original.jpg

One more...because it's such a strange bird:

original.jpg

• Like 5

Thanksgiving has come and gone. Kim established a tradition of giving each guest for our Thanksgiving dinner a Christmas ornament that she selects specifically for that person. Son Dan got a blown glass Vader mask. Our gamer grandson, Brady got an elegant glass game controller. This year, daughter Kassi reciprocated with her own gifted ornaments. Kim got a Santa in a martini glass and I got a squirrel. My daughter has an evil sense of humor. I have battled the local swarm of bushy-tailed rodents for years as they annually defile at least 100 pounds of avocados from our tree. The furry bastards represented in a delicate glass ornament is a hilarious slap in the face. Coup counted, Kassi. Coup counted.

Slap in the Face

474234577_2022-47SlapintheFace.thumb.jpg.889971a8e6959dad282174588932b44c.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, pierces said:

Thanksgiving has come and gone. Kim established a tradition of giving each guest for our Thanksgiving dinner a Christmas ornament that she selects specifically for that person. Son Dan got a blown glass Vader mask. Our gamer grandson, Brady got an elegant glass game controller. This year, daughter Kassi reciprocated with her own gifted ornaments. Kim got a Santa in a martini glass and I got a squirrel. My daughter has an evil sense of humor. I have battled the local swarm of bushy-tailed rodents for years as they annually defile at least 100 pounds of avocados from our tree. The furry bastards represented in a delicate glass ornament is a hilarious slap in the face. Coup counted, Kassi. Coup counted.

Slap in the Face

Dave

I learned a long time ago - there is NO way to win that war.  I tried to fight off the squirrels from my bird feeders - using every new-fangled device that was supposed to prevent them from getting to the feeders - cones over the top, spinners that were supposed to throw them off, weighted roosts that close the feeder holes if too much weight gets on them...the squirrels are way too smart for all that - I've watched them slide down the cones and do acrobatic flips onto the feeder lip just before they fall...watched them spinning at 200RPM while they still proceed to grab the seeds - or spew them onto the ground from the spinning where they still get their meal.  They defeat the weighted roost by hanging down from above and reaching into the holes.  And when all else fails, they spend a few days gnawing on the ropes until the feeder falls to the ground.

So I decided to give up on the other expensive and failed efforts, and just buy 5Lb bags of peanuts, which I lay around the ground by the feeders for the squirrels.  They like the peanuts more than the seed, so it tends to keep them off the feeders.  Unfortunately, some birds like blue jays ALSO prefer the peanuts, so I have to contend with great flocks of jays storming the nuts and clearing them out in minutes...I tried a plastic owl, but the blue jays seem to enjoy landing on its head to eat their peanuts.  So I'm left swinging open the patio door every few seconds to scare off the jays until a few squirrels arrive - then the squirrels will defend their stash from the jays by chasing any bird that lands...though the jays are fast and still get their share.

I think I need that squirrel ornament though!

• Like 1

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 47 & 48 (Dave on holiday?)

Hope everyone had a pleasant Thanksgiving, or... Thursday, as otherwise known on this plant 😉 

Dave, you must be out on a squirrel hunt. I don't see a Photo-of-the-Week 48 to pin, so I edited last week's topic to cover this week. Honestly, you need a week or two off!!

Just read a fun article in The New York Times about glass ornaments (not unlike your furry tailed friend) that are made to represent an interesting amount of people, places, things.

If Santa doesn't drop any new camera, gear, or lens in your stocking (or for chanukah) this year, maybe there's a glass rollie ornament or old roll of Kodak or TriX to decorate your place with 😄 

Keep well!

Colleen

Week 48 is here:

I was a bit late due to some wood working projects.

Many little drawers for the new Grandson's Advent Calendar...

image.thumb.png.e57652ab949a51303c1575db4b8a7932.png

...and a music box prop with motorized wind-up key for Granddaughter Jackie's upcoming ice-skating performance where she will start out as a music box ballerina. (Daughter gets to paint it).

image.thumb.png.2a375c1471b0b1f81b23b8169c7ea4ab.png

Dave

• Like 5

On 12/3/2022 at 3:52 PM, pierces said:

Yeah...it was worth the time.

Understatement!! It's spectacular, as is the Music Box. 

Thanks for sharing, and returning to post week 49! (Sorry, this time I was late to pin...)

Colleen

• Thanks 1