Oversold GTY Oceanview Balcony

Dthorne1

1 minute ago, WheresWalter said:

The "Grade" is the overall designation of a cabin. Not just within a category. All cabins on a ship are given a grade and when they say your 'grade is not guaranteed' they are saying they can move you into any 'grade' on the ship. 

You're pulling this out of your backside.

The category type is Interior, Oceanview, Balcony, Suite.  Don't believe me?  Scroll back to your screenshot and read it out loud to yourself.

The grade of the category is the sub-category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WheresWalter said:

I don't know why anyone would book a Guarantee during busy times.

I book almost ONLY guarantees.  5 Christmases, ALWAYS got a better room than I expected -- and always saved hundreds or even $1000.

Thanksgiving for 7 years? 8?

Good Friday/Easter for many years.

New Year's Eves, many of them (not this year, tho).

Always a guarantee, almost always better than expected -- and 100% of Christmases it was better than expected.

Sometimes I ended up with an obstructed balcony when I booked a guarantee oceanview or interior!

I bet I've saved $40,000, maybe $50,000 over booking the stateroom I ended up with, over say 10 years and 100+ bookings.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

You're pulling this out of your backside.

The category type is Interior, Oceanview, Balcony, Suite.  Don't believe me?  Scroll back to your screenshot and read it out loud to yourself.

The grade of the category is the sub-category.

If you insist.. Honestly it's not worth arguing the point. Have a nice Thanksgiving. 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but Royal Caribbean does not guarantee you will receive the class of cabin you booked. I was just looking through the FAQ and it clearly says they can place you in any class of cabin at their discretion at any time right up until check in. I thought the same as the OP that you were guaranteed "at least" the class you booked. Apparently not. 

We never ever never ever book a guarantee because we want absolute control of where that cabin is going to be. I would recommend everyone at least purchase the next step up from the guarantee so at least you know you have a cabin assigned for the cruise. Especially for the busy times because we are back to 120 - 150% capacity sailings. 🙂 image.thumb.png.24935fb162a9f80ad28b842ff990a126.png

Read it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

We never ever never ever book a guarantee because we want absolute control of where that cabin is going to be.

Just realize that booking a fixed cabin does not exempt you from a very rare, but possible move.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:56 PM, WheresWalter said:

I think they're being very clever in their terminology using "Cabin Type" above and then "Grade" down below. They can move you to any "Grade" and that does mean they can change your cabin level.

And then to see that secondary thread where the people are getting bumped off the Wonder. I don't know why anyone would book a Guarantee during busy times.

Because it can save a lot of money and it usually works out. I’ve seen balcony guarantees go the the cost of insides. I’ve actually had an inside guarantee net me a ocean view balcony on one of my Alaskan cruises.

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Still no assignment on Laura cabin for Jewel NYE.

I haven’t told her 😉

We booked an OV gty on Jewel NYE couple weeks before you.  We have a number hidden in the barcode but we still do not have an assignment.  Not sure why they are waiting.

Edited by Starry Eyes

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

We booked an OV gty on Jewel NYE couple weeks before you.  We have a number hidden in the barcode but we still do not have an assignment.  Not sure why they are waiting.

I'll take a look and see if I can decipher it

Thnx

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'll take a look and see if I can decipher it

Thnx

Download your set sail pass in your apple wallet, then the last digits are  your room number.  It may only work if you see a muster station assigned to your set sail before downloading into your apple wallet.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, WheresWalter said:

The "Grade" is the overall designation of a cabin. Not just within a category. All cabins on a ship are given a grade and when they say your 'grade is not guaranteed' they are saying they can move you into any 'grade' on the ship. 

I believe you have confused category and grade 

Category (balcony, interior, ocean view…)is “guaranteed” grade is not 

39 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Download your set sail pass in your apple wallet, then the last digits are  your room number.  It may only work if you see a muster station assigned to your set sail before downloading into your apple wallet.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work on Android. Now I do see a muster, but it's way different than mine. It does say Deck 4, though.

But thanks

Edited by John&LaLa

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work on Android. Now I do see a muster, but it's way different than mine. It does say Deck 4, though.

But thanks

I've had it work with Android. Use your phone's camera or qr code app and scan the bar code on the set sail pass.

• Thanks 1

I have a GTY balcony on Anthem on 12/11. It’s showed the cabin using the barcode trick for the past month but only yesterday did the cabin show on my set sail pass. Finally got my cruise docs with luggage tags today. I was wondering why the wait as well, but at least it finally updated. 🙂

i usually pick a cabin but this was a last minute decision and the balcony GTY was less than the insides and a crazy good deal so we decided it was worth it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Now I do see a muster, but it's way different than mine. It does say Deck 4, though.

The barcode likely does contain the assignment then. It's a bit of work but you can also decode the barcode on a PC - upload the pic of the barcode (use snip) to OnLine Barcode Decoder (online-barcode-reader.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Sorry.  Not sure whether I used an s10 or later model.  Do you have the qr code app on your phone?  

Camera reads QR codes fine as is. Hate to add another app. I'm about full. No hurry to know anyway. I got my cabin😉

41 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Camera reads QR codes fine as is. Hate to add another app. I'm about full. No hurry to know anyway. I got my cabin😉

Do you and Laura attempt to get your solo cabins near each other?  If so, knowing Laura’s future assignment would allow you to swap if a cabin in your category comes available nearby.  OV’s have been available at times.

Or did you.get a particularly choice assignment that should not be forfeited?

Edited by Starry Eyes

11 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Do you and Laura attempt to get your solo cabins near each other?  If so, knowing Laura’s future assignment would allow you to swap if a cabin in your category comes available nearby.  OV’s have been available at times.

Or did you.get a particularly choice assignment that should not be forfeited?

On the world cruise we were at complete opposite ends at on time. I'll ask TA to follow up in a few days

On 11/28/2022 at 8:19 AM, John&LaLa said:

On the world cruise we were at complete opposite ends at on time. I'll ask TA to follow up in a few days

Perhaps Laura’s assignment will be official in a few days (mine, too, for that matter). If not, I rather doubt TAs have access to the guest’s set sail pass to decode the barcode even if the TA know the barcode trick.

• Like 1