If Elite or higher would you book cruise only?

gordylad

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I prefer walking into the DR with my wine.  At times service is so slow as they are short staffed and by the time the sommelier takes your order and brings the wine one could be half way through their entree.  I enjoy my wine with my meal. Just my opinion. 

Just another example of declining service on Celebrity.

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Just another example of declining service on Celebrity.

It was pretty bad on the May Eclipse cruise and we took the drinks package normally I don't bother. We did enjoy the Elegance Pinot noir but when my friend tried to order 2 bottles to take home she was quoted $40 per bottle then  on second to last night sommelier said oh not $40 its $70 plus 20% gratuity. I made a mistake.  Big difference in price.  

On 11/22/2022 at 2:55 PM, dreamer321 said:

I wish I could find one of these mythical travel agents that give you All Included group rate for the price of Cruise Only but I've struck out with the several that I've contacted. Given Cruise Critic's policy regarding mentioning TA's I've given up hope and just book direct with X. I'd rather have my fate in my own hands if I have to change something.

They exist but are only allowed to sell to certain individuals. I was in the aviation industry and the TA I use can get me AI pricing for just a touch more than Cruise Only via X's website. That being said, it is sometimes cheaper to use a traditional TA because I benefit from all of X's OBC and the TA OBC. I price the cruise on multiple sites before purchasing. My aviation TA has insanely low deals on Cruise Only pricing but I normally use them for cheap pricing on more premium cruise lines.

Five of us sailed on Celebrity Constellation out of Tampa last March for 10 days.  My husband and I chose the sail only package while the other 3 did the AI option.  All of us went to the bar before dinner and had a drink, then carried a second drink in for dinner. (early dining).  Those two drinks were more than enough for my husband and myself. Rarely did the other three folks order a drink during the day and for sure we didn't want one then.  Our status gave us enough internet time and there was that bag of free laundry. We all had balcony cabins and even after paying tips the cruise ended up costing us over $500 less than theirs did. So Sail Only status for us!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SandraLee said:

I'm Elite and not familiar w/ the Elite breakfast.  Can you share how this works? 

Thanks!

Every morning in Tuscan Grill 8 to 10. Nothing cooked. Fresh fruit, croissants, assorted meats and smoked salmon. All pre plated but plates can be made to order. Smoothies, speciality teas and coffees, bloody Mary's, sparkling wine. Attendance varies, busiest on sea days and a real centre on TA's. Our favourite way to start the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, actuarian said:

You are right that "cappuccino, latte, espresso, and tea" are complementary all day. The quoted list is pasted from Celebrity's web site. There is no mention of Chocolate. I know that I could pick up a free alcoholic drink at a bar and take it into the restaurant.  However, that is not the same as simply ordering it from my server, as I can do on Royal. There is often a wait to be served at most bars at that time of day and, in any case, the option is not available after 7 PM.

Hot Chocolate is included and it's really yummy!!! 🙂

On 11/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

The answer to that totally depends on how much you plan on drinking, not forgetting waters and coffee, and if you need WiFi. 

I would suggest working with a TA that can get you under a group rate which would give you all three inclusions plus a refundable deposit for probably less or equal to the Cruise Only rate. 

Then under a group Cruise Only rate would be even less than a regular Cruise Only.

I just went through the math on this Booking on Celebrity Beyond.  We do like have drinks and Cappuccinos.  Going through the match, they wanted $600 each, or $1200 for WIFI,, Drinks and Gratuities

Their recommended  Gratuities are $245

Combing the Elite discount with the WIFI Presale (You have to call to combine), Internet for the two of us is $165 total

You get Free Cappuccinos in the Elite Coffee Breakfast and free drinks as posted from 5-7 every day except embarkation day

so $1200 (Asking price for AI) less the Gratuities and Wifi ($410 total) leaves us almost $800 to drink above and beyond what we would get free at the 5-7 Happy Hour.  Even without the Happy hour and Coffee breakfast, the standard $69 a day price is 5-7 drinks a day depending on what you order.  

We almost went with the discounted Non Alcohol Drink package for Premium coffees and water, but decided to see how the Coffee Breakfast is.  With the discount, it was $13 a day.

We did the All inclusive on our Panama Canal Cruise on the Millennium 2 months ago.  It was a great rate on a 15 day cruise and I didn't delve into other options for it.

The benefit of the all inclusive is you don't have to worry about it.   I will look at each cruise going forward and see what makes sense.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are Elite Plus and wouldn’t book the A.I. at any price. We each get 240 free minutes of internet and have never used them all, even on a transAtlantic. We get free specialty coffee and Mimosas or Bloody Marys at the Elite breakfast. lastly, the free drinks available 5-7 is more than we normally drink.There ate no surprises on our final bill as we budget 0 and spend 0 on drinks. Finally, we would never change our drinking habits just to get our moneys worth from a drink package.

7 hours ago, Dirk_Pitt said:

I just went through the math on this Booking on Celebrity Beyond.  We do like have drinks and Cappuccinos.  Going through the match, they wanted $600 each, or $1200 for WIFI,, Drinks and Gratuities

Their recommended  Gratuities are $245

Combing the Elite discount with the WIFI Presale (You have to call to combine), Internet for the two of us is $165 total

You get Free Cappuccinos in the Elite Coffee Breakfast and free drinks as posted from 5-7 every day except embarkation day

so $1200 (Asking price for AI) less the Gratuities and Wifi ($410 total) leaves us almost $800 to drink above and beyond what we would get free at the 5-7 Happy Hour.  Even without the Happy hour and Coffee breakfast, the standard $69 a day price is 5-7 drinks a day depending on what you order.  

We almost went with the discounted Non Alcohol Drink package for Premium coffees and water, but decided to see how the Coffee Breakfast is.  With the discount, it was $13 a day.

We did the All inclusive on our Panama Canal Cruise on the Millennium 2 months ago.  It was a great rate on a 15 day cruise and I didn't delve into other options for it.

The benefit of the all inclusive is you don't have to worry about it.   I will look at each cruise going forward and see what makes sense.  

It's even better at Elite+ as then all your speciality teas, coffee and chocolate are included.

just booked the "connie" and booked cruise only...With being elite the happy hour is sufficient for us and we always take extra bottles of good wines onboard..We got $900 in obc's from the ta and celebrity and additionally saved over $1400 on the purchase price...We don't use the internet either...I think we got a great deal for a very nice balcony cabin....It just worked for us but everyone is different...have a blessed day.

• Like 2

This thread has been very interesting.  We are very newly elite and when I was checking prices for our May cruise during the Black Friday sales, I re-did the math to make sure it still made sense to do AI.  Ultimately, I had the cruise re-priced to cruise only.  Even after budgeting for a few extra drinks outside the elite benefits and after purchasing a 1 device internet plan to share with my husband, we come out ahead about $60 a day.  In this case, it helped that they were offering $400 OBC which basically equalled the gratuities we would have to pay by switching to cruise only.  

We shall see how it goes.  The one thing I will miss is Perrier/San Pellegrino.  When I have the premium drink package, I drink a lot of those premium waters but it is not something I will pay out of pocket for.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The one thing I will miss is Perrier/San Pellegrino.  

You realize you can each bring on a case? When I have the drinks package I order it with my meal but when not just buy from any grocery store or Walgreen.  The san pellegrino comes 8 cans to a case the perrier is 10.  Alternatively just buy plastic bottles and have it checked in with luggage. 

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

It's even better at Elite+ as then all your speciality teas, coffee and chocolate are included.

I just became Elite+ and my first cruise without AI is coming up next week.  When you say Specialty coffees are included, Outside of the Elite breakfast, does it include Café al Bacio all day and during meals?

13 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I just became Elite+ and my first cruise without AI is coming up next week.  When you say Specialty coffees are included, Outside of the Elite breakfast, does it include Café al Bacio all day and during meals?

I know it definitely covers Cafe al Bacio but not sure your waiter can get it during dinner in the MDR.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Yes and not just coffee basically any of the hot/cold drinks that don't include alcohol (tea/coffee/chocolate) and you can get the coffee at Al Bacio 2 in the Buffet and at any other bar where they have a machine for example the Passport Bar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

You realize you can each bring on a case? When I have the drinks package I order it with my meal but when not just buy from any grocery store or Walgreen.  The san pellegrino comes 8 cans to a case the perrier is 10.  Alternatively just buy plastic bottles and have it checked in with luggage. 

Thanks for the reminder.  I know I could but I probably won't go to the trouble.  We will already have a lot to handle with carryons for this next cruise and limited space in checked luggage since we are flying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Yes and not just coffee basically any of the hot/cold drinks that don't include alcohol (tea/coffee/chocolate) and you can get the coffee at Al Bacio 2 in the Buffet and at any other bar where they have a machine for example the Passport Bar.

@the penguinswhat about the fancy teas in the little yellow triangle boxes? Would they be included for Elite? They are 5 bucks each