No MDR lunch on sea days anymore?

4Nathan

Sailing on Odyssey Dec. 3 and was checking the app for current MDR menus.  The current sailing of Odyssey shows brunch on sea days 8:30 to 12:30 - no lunch.  Is this a recent change? Fleetwide? Lunch in the MDR has always been a nice quiet place to escape the crowds on sea days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 4Nathan said:

Sailing on Odyssey Dec. 3 and was checking the app for current MDR menus.  The current sailing of Odyssey shows brunch on sea days 8:30 to 12:30 - no lunch.  Is this a recent change? Fleetwide? Lunch in the MDR has always been a nice quiet place to escape the crowds on sea days.

Where do you find current MDR menus for your sailing?  Thanks

To find the menu for the MDR launch the app then go to Dining down at the bottom for your sailing date. Once the dining page opens go to Main Dining near the top. When the Main Dining page loads select one of the decks listed. Once that deck loads look for Menu highlighted in blue near the middle of the page. Once you select Menu you can scroll thru the days down at the bottom.

I am also not seeing a lunch time except for a few days so maybe they are cutting back from everyday to twice a week.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet

We just got off Jewel on Sat after a b2b and we had lunch on all sea days.  Lunch was 1130-1 (which is what it's always been).  Personally, we don't really like the MDR lunch menu anymore.  Our last sea day we ordered moz sticks which we always get.  What they served us was not mozzarella and I couldn't eat it.  You know how mozzarella stretches?  This cheese broke immediately and didn't taste like mozzarella.  Anyway, we haven't seen brunch on any of the cruises we've done since restart (3 b2b's and one single).  Some of the food issues we had were because Jewel just returned from Europe.  For example the "hot dogs" they served were really English sausage and burgers were thin.  Anyway, I'm guessing brunch is also being trialed on some ships.

Edited by BND

12 minutes ago, Dcellbattery said:

Where do you find current MDR menus for your sailing?  Thanks

Open the app.  There are 3 icons at the top, a ship, a file folder, and a person.  Click on the file folder icon.  An itinerary appears for your cruise. Scroll to the bottom. Click on Change Ship/Dates.  Select your ship and the current sailing.  You can see the current menus under Dining, main Dining, Menu.  This is also a good way to view entertainment show times.  On the Daily Planner, select Filters, Entertainment and you can then check entertainment offered each evening.  

54 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We had Brunch on Oasis in August.  There was a mix of breakfast and lunch items, enjoyed the Royal hamburger.  I think they had traditional breakfast on some days.

I liked getting their truffle fries with my omelet for breakfast (with their brunch menu) as I don't care for hash brown patties.    I don't remember it closing at 12:30 - that seems too early.

1 hour ago, BND said:

We just got off Jewel on Sat after a b2b and we had lunch on all sea days.  Lunch was 1130-1 (which is what it's always been).  Personally, we don't really like the MDR lunch menu anymore.  Our last sea day we ordered moz sticks which we always get.  What they served us was not mozzarella and I couldn't eat it.  You know how mozzarella stretches?  This cheese broke immediately and didn't taste like mozzarella.  Anyway, we haven't seen brunch on any of the cruises we've done since restart (3 b2b's and one single).  Some of the food issues we had were because Jewel just returned from Europe.  For example the "hot dogs" they served were really English sausage and burgers were thin.  Anyway, I'm guessing brunch is also being trialed on some ships.

Thank goodness, real sausages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

To find the menu for the MDR launch the app then go to Dining down at the bottom for your sailing date. Once the dining page opens go to Main Dining near the top. When the Main Dining page loads select one of the decks listed. Once that deck loads look for Menu highlighted in blue near the middle of the page. Once you select Menu you can scroll thru the days down at the bottom.

I am also not seeing a lunch time except for a few days so maybe they are cutting back from everyday to twice a week.

Thanks but could not find but was able to find from another post. Thanks

2 hours ago, 4Nathan said:

Open the app.  There are 3 icons at the top, a ship, a file folder, and a person.  Click on the file folder icon.  An itinerary appears for your cruise. Scroll to the bottom. Click on Change Ship/Dates.  Select your ship and the current sailing.  You can see the current menus under Dining, main Dining, Menu.  This is also a good way to view entertainment show times.  On the Daily Planner, select Filters, Entertainment and you can then check entertainment offered each evening.  

Thanks was able to find but only available for this weeks cruise so will wait 10 days and look again. Thanks again a great help

Another interesting thing in your app under MDR if you scroll thru the Know Before You Go info it says an 18 percent gratuity will be added to your check. Most likely it is for those who order the Chops items like filet and Lobster, at least for now. But, if you go to the website and open your cruise planner and go to Dining the MDR My Time Dining is an option for Specialty Restaurants with a current price of 0.00.

I wonder if that is going to become a fee soon.

We have been on several cruises where brunch, rather than breakfast and lunch were offered.  

OP- Brunch closes only 30 minutes earlier than the traditional lunch. Many of the same menu items are offered. Plus-we’ve found fewer people and the later times for brunch so if you are looking for a quiet place, you will be happy. 

Honestly, so few people use the MDR for lunch that the brunch might be a way to justify serving any type of noon meal there. 

m

11 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Another interesting thing in your app under MDR if you scroll thru the Know Before You Go info it says an 18 percent gratuity will be added to your check. Most likely it is for those who order the Chops items like filet and Lobster, at least for now. But, if you go to the website and open your cruise planner and go to Dining the MDR My Time Dining is an option for Specialty Restaurants with a current price of 0.00.

I wonder if that is going to become a fee soon.

Maybe they are waiting to see how Carnival does with its fee on a 3rd entree.😆

I asked this question the other day, when the app is not showing the MDR open for lunch. Everyone tried to assure me that this would not be the case.
Sailing on Explorer for Christmas and New Year, there are a lot of sea days and this would be most disappointing.  I expect a rather full ship, so going to be very busy. 

17 hours ago, nelblu said:

We were surprised when we went to the MDR around 1:15 PM for lunch and were told that they were closed.  Maybe we did not pay attention to the daily planner.

closes at 1 the MDR for lunch