Inside Cabin VS Balconey Cabin

Susan Cark

Hi all, I am very new to this forum but have been asking my friends this question, but haven’t been able to get a solid answer. Why would you book an inside cabin when the balconey cabins have amazing views, light, and fresh air? Do you book an inside cabin because of better sleep (dark metal bunker-type room) or is it for seasickness since you can’t see the ocean? Just trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the inside cabin, since you are missing out on waking up to amazing views at sea with an inside cabin. Thanks!

~S. Cark

For a lot of people it’s price point. Balconies can cost substantially more and if it’s between not cruising and cruising in an inside room a lot of people would choose the inside room. 
I’m claustrophobic, so I don’t know if I could. 

Folks book an inside because it is significantly cheaper.  Only the individual him/herself can accurately judge the value they place on a better cabin and act accordingly.  Personally, we have found that an Oceanview is our most common choice.

And WELCOME to Cruise Critic, @Susan Cark!

Edited by jsglow

10 minutes ago, Susan Cark said:

Why would you book an inside cabin when the balconey cabins have amazing views, light, and fresh air? Do you book an inside cabin because of better sleep (dark metal bunker-type room) or is it for seasickness since you can’t see the ocean? Just trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the inside cabin, since you are missing out on waking up to amazing views at sea with an inside cabin. Thanks!

Much cheaper price for an inside cabin.

For example purposes only below; prices & deals change. But this will give you an idea & something to wrap your head around.

8-Day sailing on Carnival Magic

March 9th to March 17th, 2024

Balcony Cabin........$2,104.00

Inside Cabin...........$1,524.00

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Much cheaper price for an inside cabin.

8-Day sailing on Carnival Magic

March 9th to March 17th, 2024

Balcony Cabin........$2,104.00

Inside Cabin...........$1,524.00

W.O.W. ! The price difference is significantly less than I thought it would be - the difference is negligible. So I guess most people book inside cabins because they get better sleep in a cold dark room. Or seasickness from viewing the ocean out your balconey.

~S. Cark

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Susan Cark said:

W.O.W. ! The price difference is significantly less than I thought it would be - the difference is negligible. So I guess most people book inside cabins because they get better sleep in a cold dark room. Or seasickness from viewing the ocean out your balconey.

~S. Cark

Most don’t consider $ 600 negligible, especially if the price is per person. If they do, they probably are looking at cruise lines other than Carnival.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Susan Cark said:

Hi all, I am very new to this forum but have been asking my friends this question, but haven’t been able to get a solid answer. Why would you book an inside cabin when the balconey cabins have amazing views, light, and fresh air? Do you book an inside cabin because of better sleep (dark metal bunker-type room) or is it for seasickness since you can’t see the ocean? Just trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the inside cabin, since you are missing out on waking up to amazing views at sea with an inside cabin. Thanks!

~S. Cark

On carnival I often try and book port holes which are priced as insides. At least I can see out.

I have had skin cancers and cant sit in the sun. A balcony is just a bigger window to me. I've had them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Susan Cark said:

~S. Cark

Why assume a inside cabin is cold lol.

Odd assumptions. I'm solo and dont care after over 50 cruises. I can walk up to the pool once I wake up. Rarely get seasick. 

Solo I'd rather sit where there are other people when I'm awake. Not by myself on a balcony. 

• Like 4

I'm going on my first Solo cruise in my first inside room and it all had to do with price and 99% of the people who answer will tell you the same thing. It's a 5 day cruise and I paid less than $300 for an inside 1a and the next up was an ocean view at double the price. I don't actually have a room preference. I hardly ever use the balcony and I close the curtains in my Oceanview. 

we have done balconies the vast majority of our cruises.   no comparison between the cabins for natural light, fresh air, views, size.  

that said, the last two times we have sailed inside cabins.   7 nt $100 pp.  the balcony was roughly 700 pp.  

for $1200 we decided it was well worth the cost differential to go for the less expensive option.  

• Like 1

Even with just 2 in a balcony, one can relax outside and the other watch tv or read or nap inside. At times, a little space apart is welcome.

An inside cabin doesn't afford that possibility.

I've sailed solo in inside and balconies, but always balconies as a couple.  JMO, YMMV.

• Like 1

I'm a VERY light sleeper so the slamming of balcony doors around me (in addition to the slamming of outside cabin doors) that I can hear over my noise machine make balconies not enjoyable for me. 

I also like a dark, cold cave to sleep in. 

My motion sickness has nothing to do with being in an interior versus a balcony and is generally handled with seabands or Bonine.

My irritability is handled by not having slamming doors surrounding me on two points of my cabin. 🤣

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Susan Cark said:

W.O.W. ! The price difference is significantly less than I thought it would be - the difference is negligible. 

With the example given, the difference is over 30% more for the balcony cabin. It's 580.00 difference.  The couple who chose the inside cabin could scrape up another 1000 and could do a B2B. Choosing to cruise in an inside cabin enables many to cruise more often.  Would you want two cruises in a balcony or three in an inside?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Susan Cark said:

~S. Cark

Have 47 cruises under my belt over the past 36 years on multiple lines.  Over 40 of them have been in an inside cabin, primarily chosen because of price. Currently have 15 more booked over the next 17 months with 14 in an inside and a free upgrade to a balcony on a 14 day Alaskan cruise on the other. That'll make 90+% in inside cabins. 

• Like 1

Cruised this year for the first time in a balcony and everything I thought I wouldn't like about being in a balcony was true.

I don't like to eat outside. I didn't like the tiny, uncomfortable, upright chair. I didn't like when I sat in the tiny, uncomfortable chair and looked outward the railing of the balcony blocked my view.

I didn't like the annoying scraping sound my neighbor made moving his chair quite often. I didn't like smelling the weed my neighbor smoked quite often.

I didn't like sitting outside in the hot sun.

I preferred the nice big comfy chairs and sofas throughout the ship where I could look out while in heavenly a/c.

I think we spent a total of about 2 hours on the balcony in 7 nights. Since we are only in our cabin to shower and sleep an inside works perfectly. And yes that dark cave atmosphere provides the best sleep ever 🙂

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Have 47 cruises under my belt over the past 36 years on multiple lines.  Over 40 of them have been in an inside cabin, primarily chosen because of price. Currently have 15 more booked over the next 17 months with 14 in an inside and a free upgrade to a balcony on a 14 day Alaskan cruise on the other. That'll make 90+% in inside cabins. 

Price is key for me for sure, I prefer booking an inside so I can cruise more often. I do prefer the experience of a balcony if we're simply talking about the cabin's environment but it's not make or break. We're not in our cabin that much, really. We feel we've found workarounds like going on secret decks for ocean views or maybe the lanai area... or if we don't need the view there's usually a spot where it's not super people-y that we can find outside our cabin to go relax. 

Edited by oyme

20 hours ago, shof515 said:

i am never in my room during the day so an inside is perfectly fine for me. only need the room at night to sleep

This. I don’t judge people who get balconies, but I would ask the opposite question. Why spend enough time in your cabin to justify the higher cost of a balcony?

Again, if people do spend that time, cool. I just never would.

• Like 2