Honeymoon and first ever cruise, 7 day out of LA to mexico questions!!

jacelyn

Hi! 

I'm just going to jump right in here... Can I wear my wedding dress (no train! Silk full skirt and lace top) out on the ship for selfies? Can I decorate our room somehow? I see there's an anniversary decor package but I can't see what it looks like anywhere. We are going in April, are crowds crazy then? Or Cold? We're looking at the unlimited dining package, and we did traditional dining at 530, (but I don't know what that means). Is the dining package worth it? (currently 420 for both). If I'm super honest we both tend to get overstimulated with crowds so I'm more trying to decide what is the best "go with the flow" choice vs the cheapest option. (think no lines and least stressful decision process). My concern with the dining plan is having to make last minute reservations and being concerned there wont be any available? We're total foodies though, that's part of the reason he wants to do the cruise. Is there anything I'm missing? 

It sounds like the dining package would be a good choice for you if you are foodies and looking for a more intimate dining experience.  You should make all your reservations for the week as soon as you get on board at any of the specialty dining restaurants.  It is a lot of food though.  Another option is the three night specialty dining package which would give you a chance to try a little of everything.  The main dining room has traditional or my time dining.  My time dining just means you can walk up with or without a reservation and be seated.  Usually you have to wait in a bit of a line with the no reservation option, so I think your choice of 530 traditional is a good one. You can wear your wedding dress if you want. You would probably feel less out of place wearing it on one of the two formal nights around dinner time when there are a lot of other people dressed up.  As far as decorations, that is allowed. A lot of people like to just decorate their door.  I would think that week will be somewhat crowded around Spring break, but you can usually find a quiet spot somewhere on the ship or hang out in your room for a bit when you need some quiet time.

• Like 1

Smokey’s advise is good advise. I’d get the Chops +1 package and get to know what you like and dislike and for you first anniversary 🙂 cruise you could splurge for  the dining package.  Maybe get a lunch or two from the specialty restaurants for your your sea days. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jacelyn said:

Hi! 

I'm just going to jump right in here... Can I wear my wedding dress (no train! Silk full skirt and lace top) out on the ship for selfies? Can I decorate our room somehow? I see there's an anniversary decor package but I can't see what it looks like anywhere. We are going in April, are crowds crazy then? Or Cold? We're looking at the unlimited dining package, and we did traditional dining at 530, (but I don't know what that means). Is the dining package worth it? (currently 420 for both). If I'm super honest we both tend to get overstimulated with crowds so I'm more trying to decide what is the best "go with the flow" choice vs the cheapest option. (think no lines and least stressful decision process). My concern with the dining plan is having to make last minute reservations and being concerned there wont be any available? We're total foodies though, that's part of the reason he wants to do the cruise. Is there anything I'm missing? 

We did the UDP on the Navigator and LOVED it.  It works well on that ship.  But if money is a consideration, just go to the MDR at your assigned time of 5:30.  You'll have a lovely table for two with a new menu every night.  

Plan to relax, and then join activities as the spirit moves you.  There is a Cruise Compass, which you can get on your phone by using the QR code that will be in your cabin and on the TV, as well as the Royal app.  

And congratulations.

(yes, you can wear your wedding dress anywhere you want.)

• Like 1

Having been on many cruises with honeymooners of all ages, I suggest very few pre-planned activities outside the stateroom. Most don’t make it to the planned activities. 😝

it doesn’t seem to matter how long they’ve been together prior to the honeymoon. 

• Haha 2

Go with the UDP. It’s great on the Navigator with a Hooked Seafood, Chops and Izumi’s. Jamie’s was ok for me. Playmakers has good food also. April could be spring break, so I don’t think too many college kids will pay for specialty dining, and I doubt parents will bring young children, so reservations shouldn’t be a problem. But just make them all once you get onboard. Enjoy the cruise. 

Did you book a cabin with a balcony?  I myself book a balcony for this very reason as main pool decks and sometimes even the adult pool areas are too much for me. I enjoy sitting on my balcony during the sea day and will walk outside on the main decks early in the morning or while everyone is at dinner. 

If you are foodies, splurge on the chef's table dinner. Puerto Vallarta also has some great restaurants for foodies and food tours.

Yes, wear your wedding dress and take pictures. Check out the RCCL plan my cruise page for Black Friday discounts on those dining reservations and photos.

I also get chocolate covered strawberries and champagne delivered to our cabin for anniversaries. 

Congratulations on your wedding and Happy Planning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacelyn said:

Hi! 

Congratulations!

Random thoughts...for first time cruiser on your honeymoon:

* Join the "Love and Marriage show"...it's a hoot.

* If you prefer a table for 2 (for dinner in the main dining room), you can email rcldining@rccl.com and send your request about 2 weeks before your cruise.

* Don't miss the ice show...outstanding...one of the best.

* For first time cruisers, the amount of food selection can overwhelming...you need to at least try the Main Dining Room. But as "foodies", you can do the 3 specialty restaurant package.

* Places to eat on the Navigator...Windjammer, Main Dining Room, El Loco Fresh, Cafe Promenade...all these are included. Then for extra charge...Chops (steak), Jamie's (Italian), Hooked (seafoid), Izumi (sushi), Playmakers, Johnny Rockets, and Bamboo Room...also Starbucks and Ben & Jerry's you'll have to pay for. There is free soft serve ice-cream on deck 12, by the pool.

* There's also "Chef'sTable"...nice menu with wine pairing(s)...extra charge for this diinner.

* As said earlier...if you can't make it out of your cabin...there's always room service.

* If you have specific questios about the Navigator, just ask...we'll be onboard on Monday.

20221126_095019.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacelyn said:

Can I wear my wedding dress (no train! Silk full skirt and lace top) out on the ship for selfies?

I've seen many recently married couples on the ship in their wedding attire, you'll be fine

3 hours ago, jacelyn said:

We're looking at the unlimited dining package, and we did traditional dining at 530, (but I don't know what that means). Is the dining package worth it?

Traditional dining will be same seating, same table and same dining staff for each meal that you dine at in the MDR.  You can request a table for 2, if you chose not to dine in the MDR that night just notify the staff.  As far as "is the UDP worth it" that's up to you and how much you want to spend and how much you value what many feel is an upgraded dining experience, both in food quality, service and ambiance.  Specialty dining tends to be less as a busy and noisy as the MDR.  Not everyone feels that way, opinions will be varied of course.  Just a thought since this is your first cruise, do both.  You can do a 3 night dining package and the rest in the MDR.  You really have nothing to compare it to so personally see the difference.  We've found it is not difficult to get the restaurants we want near the times we want when reserving onboard.  We typically do 3 or 4 nights of speciality dining depending on the ship and the rest in the MDR.  Also for us we find as the week goes on we eat less so for us the UDP would lose value, I couldn't see eating every meal including the lunches at speciality dining as it is just too much food for us.

Congrats on your wedding and first cruise, no matter what you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Edited by JeffT237
  • Like 1

Just something that we enjoy.  We always email Royal two weeks before the cruise and ask for a table along the balcony railing. Great place for views. Plenty of large tables and two tops. With early dining the tables alongside window views would have the drapes pulled and no view.  Congrats 

• Like 1