Insurance for underlying health conditions.

Hi everyone. I realise that sometimes I'm a bit of a devil at being a bit cheeky quite often and hope that everyone takes it in the manner it's supposed to be. A bit of fun. But I do have a serious question and that is "Does anyone know the best insurance cover for underlying health conditions" as both myself, prostate cancer . high blood pressure and high cholesterol and my wife has fibro myalgia, type 2 diabetes, irregular heart beat. Therefore it would be good to know which is the best and least expensive cover. The last two times I have taken out insurance it came to £650 each time and for one reason or another we never got to cruise.

17 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Hi everyone. I realise that sometimes I'm a bit of a devil at being a bit cheeky quite often and hope that everyone takes it in the manner it's supposed to be. A bit of fun. But I do have a serious question and that is "Does anyone know the best insurance cover for underlying health conditions" as both myself, prostate cancer . high blood pressure and high cholesterol and my wife has fibro myalgia, type 2 diabetes, irregular heart beat. Therefore it would be good to know which is the best and least expensive cover. The last two times I have taken out insurance it came to £650 each time and for one reason or another we never got to cruise.

If you were a member of the armed forces then you can obtain cover to travel for all conditions http://www.forcespensionsociety.org/

Have a look at the CSSC website (Civil Service Sports Club). A few pounds a month for membership but good savings to be made. I haven’t purchased travel insurance through them as it comes with our bank account but it might be worth a punt. 

3 hours ago, Port out said:

If you were a member of the armed forces then you can obtain cover to travel for all conditions http://www.forcespensionsociety.org/

Ex RN and wondering how competitive they are ? Over 75, high blood pressure and wife, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. Annual world wide cruise cover, with Avanti was £530 in July, which I thought was very good.

We was struggling to get something reasonable for someone in our family. However just before buying I spotted a post on social media on this topic. The man had had prostate cancer, 2x heart attacks and a quadruple heart bypass. For a joint worldwide annual policy he pays sub £500! My jaw hit the ground as that was close to what our relative had been quoted for single trip, single person, and a more trivial medical history.

What was his secret? I should have known but overlooked it, it was the Nationwide FlexPlus current account. Due to how these group policies are underwritten they often can work out much cheaper.

If eligible this will be an annual policy (subject to keeping the account open) and the cost will be

£156 (£13 x 12) for the (joint) account, plus

£65 if EITHER of you are over 70, plus

£xxx for the medical screening, plus

(optional) £40 to add "cruise cover" (optional, read what it gives you)

Before opening the account you can get a quote for how much extra they will charge you for your medical conditions. Visit https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/travel-insurance/ and scroll down to "How to purchase and get a quote for upgrades" for link to quote online or phone number if you prefer that and/or want some assurance. 

Also, one overlooked perk is if you are travelling with someone on the same trip you can add them as a "guest" by paging a fee (varies due to duration of trip age etc) and plus anything extra from medical screening. This is actually what we did to add the person to our policy!

Note: you don't even need to use the account, just make sure the fee is covered each month. However there is also a £200 switching offer worth considering.

Edited by Chrish2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have an annual policy with Staysure because they don't increase the premium too much due to DH having heart valve replacements 17 years ago.

Another vote for Staysure, Michelle did a tonne of research due to her lung cancer and they were by far the most reasonable. 

They don't just pump up the policy like others, they ask relevant questions regarding treatment etc. 

Andy 

13 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have an annual policy with Staysure because they don't increase the premium too much due to DH having heart valve replacements 17 years ago.

I have a real issue with Staysure at the moment and their stance on ALL IN or ALL Out if you are waiting for tests to be done on some inocuous issue they will NOT cover any existing medical conditions. You cannot even agree to opt out of cover for your awaited tests its all in or all out if you are awaiting tests.

The current insurance underwriting system stinks and smacks of we will find a way to trip you up and not pay out on a claim. Totally ridiculous, they just want to take your money and not accept any risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

I have found  Avanti reasonable, especially for an annual policy.

Avanti was the only one (also Free Spirit) who gave a reasonable price for 2 of us 84 and 75 with pre-existing conditions.  I did a quote through Money Supermarket and it was £3106!! LOL  Avanti quoted £604.  Staysure quote £804 and £1100.

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Avanti was the only one (also Free Spirit) who gave a reasonable price for 2 of us 84 and 75 with pre-existing conditions.  I did a quote through Money Supermarket and it was £3106!! LOL  Avanti quoted £604.  Staysure quote £804 and £1100.

Strange as Avanti and Staysure are the same company.

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Strange as Avanti and Staysure are the same company.

Didn't know that, but yes interesting.  Found this Therefore, Avanti and Staysure are part of the TICORP Ltd trading group however both operate as standalone businesses.

Edited by jeanlyon

56 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

I have a real issue with Staysure at the moment and their stance on ALL IN or ALL Out if you are waiting for tests to be done on some inocuous issue they will NOT cover any existing medical conditions. You cannot even agree to opt out of cover for your awaited tests its all in or all out if you are awaiting tests.

The current insurance underwriting system stinks and smacks of we will find a way to trip you up and not pay out on a claim. Totally ridiculous, they just want to take your money and not accept any risk.

Same here with staysure. They cancelledours when on a  waiting list. We took out a couple of single trip policies with good to go, but now are back on annual. This time with Allclear.

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Same here with staysure. They cancelledours when on a  waiting list. We took out a couple of single trip policies with good to go, but now are back on annual. This time with Allclear.

Good to know its not just me that feels let down by these so called leading insurers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Didn't know that, but yes interesting.  Found this Therefore, Avanti and Staysure are part of the TICORP Ltd trading group however both operate as standalone businesses.

When I was shopping around for a quote for annual policy before I used Nationwide Flexplus and their included worldwide travel policy I had a quote independently from Staysure and Avanti for myself and my wife and they were exactly the same to a penny.

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

When I was shopping around for a quote for annual policy before I used Nationwide Flexplus and their included worldwide travel policy I had a quote independently from Staysure and Avanti for myself and my wife and they were exactly the same to a penny.

That wasn't my experienced, nearly £200 difference, Avanti cheaper. 

12 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Staysure is who I have been with the last couple of years. Well years not as in January to December as we were due to go on a cruise in February this year and were covered through from last year. Due to P&O changing the itinerary but allowing us to either have extra OBC, a complete refund or to take a different cruise we went for the same cruise but next year. Sadly lost out insurance wise though as they deem the fact that the ship sailed as not being a cancellation. Have now paid £650 two years running and got nothing for it so Staysure is on the backburner.