Is Sharing A WIFI Account Possible?

DENBET30

Is it possible to have one person in a cabin purchase a wifi package and share the account with their cabin mate?  Specifically only one person could be online at a time but they would share login/password and would be using two devices. I believe we did this on RCCL but I don't think that will work on NCL

It should be possible, you just have to remember to logout of one device before logging in on the second. I know I shared mine with another cruiser when she ran out of minutes and I had lots left at the end of my first NCL cruise. 

8 minutes ago, DENBET30 said:

Is it possible to have one person in a cabin purchase a wifi package and share the account with their cabin mate?  Specifically only one person could be online at a time but they would share login/password and would be using two devices. I believe we did this on RCCL but I don't think that will work on NCL

Yes. We don't need a lot of internet, but we share one account across 5 devices when we sail (2 personal phones, 2 work phones, 1 laptop). When the next device needs access, you just "bump" the prior device off the network (unlimited plan). Otherwise, log on, download email quickly, log off. 

2 hours ago, DENBET30 said:

Not a problem at all, as long as only one is logged in at a time. 

12 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

is it possible share the internet making your own hotspot

If the device can use a WiFi network as the internet source AND create another WiFi network to share it, I don't see why not.  This is becoming a more common capability, but historically this has not been possible as devices have not been able to connect to one WiFi network and create another for sharing (the WiFi radio was only able to connect to one network at a time).

17 hours ago, DENBET30 said:

Yes, as others have said, as long as only one device is connected at a time, "sharing" the WiFi access is fine.

Think about it:  Someone could bring more than one devices, even someone traveling solo.  (Many do:  A laptop and a cell phone with internet capabilities, which is common these days.)  The WiFi access is for one account.  The system cannot "know who physically owns the device".  Someone could have brought the device "owned" by a family member who is not traveling.  Or borrowed from a friend.  Etc.

Why don't you think it would work on NCL?

GC

14 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

We have unlimited on once....is it possible share the internet making your own hotspot

you can hot spot off of your phone, but you aren't dealing with a lot of bandwidth and are not likely to have good performance.