Joy - Haven vs Non Haven Question those that have done both

js

Hi. 

My dh and I are Platinum on NCL and we have always sailed in the Haven. We are upper 50s. 

We had Haven FCCs that we had extended after a Covid canceled cruise and booked Joy for July 30. We have quite a few non cruise trips planned for next year and booked a regular balcony, slanted, on deck 8, close to the action. Purchased Vibe and going to purchase extra specialties so we eat in one each evening. We have the becerage package and as of now not upgrading. I would be able to take full advantage, my dh not so much lol

Anyway, I emailed my TA and can book Haven on Deck 14, least expensive Haven, for about $3,O00 more. My dh really isnt thrilled with not being in the Haven proper and doesnt think it will be worth it not having our cabin in the actual Haven, where we usually book. Haven cabins on deck 14 are mid ship, not forward. 

If I gave up the Vibe and the four extra meals, I guess I would save about $700, so would be about $2,200 extra. We never have tried Vibe since would stay in the Haven during the day. 
The Haven proper would be over $5,000+ more and not doing that in 2023. 

For those that usually sail in Haven but have also sailed in balconies, what would you do. 

Just trying to hear pros and cons. 

Thank you. 

Edited by js
  • Like 1

I'd take the Haven Suite mid-ship on deck 14 and not worry about not being in the Haven complex.......but I also prefer the aft-facing suites which are even farther away from the complex. 🤪

If you want to drop VIBE and a few specialty meals, you'll still have everything Haven for the $2,200 increase. 

• Like 1

Sailed in the Haven proper, Haven spa on 14, and regular ol'balcony with upgrades as you are planning.

My opinion: staying out of the Haven proper, in a Haven-perks room, is BETTER than being in the Haven itself: it's a better value, still get access to sun deck and restaurant....and don't have to see the same people in the bubble.  Plus, I don't mind walking around to/from room to Haven as exercise is a good thing.

That said, it's a better value to just get a balcony and buy the Vibe pass ("Haven lite" as @Sthrngary has named it).  We didn't miss the Haven restaurant THAT MUCH to justify the big up-charge.  (Butler: don't care/don't need...but that's just us).

Have a great cruise.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, js said:

Hi. 

My dh and I are Platinum on NCL and we have always sailed in the Haven. We are upper 50s. 

We had Haven FCCs that we had extended after a Covid canceled cruise and booked Joy for July 30. We have quite a few non cruise trips planned for next year and booked a regular balcony, slanted, on deck 8, close to the action. Purchased Vibe and going to purchase extra specialties so we eat in one each evening. We have the becerage package and as of now not upgrading. I would be able to take full advantage, my dh not so much lol

Anyway, I emailed my TA and can book Haven on Deck 14, least expensive Haven, for about $3,O00 more. My dh really isnt thrilled with not being in the Haven proper and doesnt think it will be worth it not having our cabin in the actual Haven, where we usually book. Haven cabins on deck 14 are mid ship, not forward. 

If I gave up the Vibe and the four extra meals, I guess I would save about $700, so would be about $2,200 extra. We never have tried Vibe since would stay in the Haven during the day. 

For those that usually sail in Haven but have also sailed in balconies, what would you do. 

Thank you. 

On the Joy, over 50% of the Haven rooms are not in the Haven complex. While we love to be in the Haven complex, we book Haven rooms outside the Haven a lot of time time because you get a cheaper room with more space. 

Personally, we would pick the cheaper room, based on your description. 

That being said, NCL is going away from the current "Haven complex" approach with their newest ships. There are no rooms on the same deck as the Haven lounge and restaurant. Everyone is "outside the Haven" on the next generation ships. 

• Like 2

I'm just off of the Joy this weekend @jsand those midship Haven cabins are not as good as the two-bedroom family suites that immediately adjoin them on the center hall.  Moreover, the steward service on that hall was quite poor - had to raise the issue with the Housekeeping Manager.  Save your money!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Personally, we would pick the cheaper room, based on your description. 

That being said, NCL is going away from the current "Haven complex" approach with their newest ships. There are no rooms on the same deck as the Haven lounge and restaurant. Everyone is "outside the Haven" on the next generation ships. 

Maybe NCL planned it that way so they could justify charging similar prices for all Haven rooms since none of them are in the Haven? 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What ships are these?  Prima still has rooms in the Haven complex, don't they?

• Like 1

In February we stayed in a Haven Suite on 14 and then in September stayed in a non Haven Suite also on 14 but purchased vibe passes.   Enjoyed our September sailing experience more and saved alot of money.  The only thing we missed is the Haven Restaurant but we got over it with the savings and specialty restaurants.   

• Like 2

I never thought you could have a bad haven room. I was proven wrong however when I went from deck 14 haven to deck 18 haven. It was below hot tubs. And below Vibe. I won’t ever do upgrade again. This was my first time upgrading. Wish I had stayed on 14. 

• Like 3

We have only booked Haven on NCL.  It is the reason I am coming back to cruising.  If no larger Haven rooms available, I won't book that ship or itinerary.  No excuse for being a cruise snob, I have earned it.  I don't wish to interact with 4,000 passengers and not have space and some solitude. The newer ships have too many people and I am appalled at chair saving/lack of space around pools, etc..  The haven is as close to chartering without spending big bucks on Luxury lines.  Looking to book Breakaway out of Rome.  This is a newer ship for us.  I love the GEM/Jade/Pearl Havens with larger rooms.  If booked in the haven, does it make any sense to book Club Vibe or a waste of money?

Thanks.

20 hours ago, js said:

Hi. 

Thank you. 

@js Within the last 12 months, I have cruised the NCL Joy twice.  The first time with my family of four in the Haven.  I also usually always cruise NCL in the Haven.  The second time a few months after I cruised as a solo in a Club Balcony Suite.  

I am about to cruise Next Week on the NCL Breakaway this time Non-Haven with my Wife.  So I have a perspective on Haven and Non-Haven on the Joy.  I also know how to structure my cruises to get what I call a "Haven Lite" experience.  Allow me to add that I have been in both the Haven Proper and a few decks below the Haven in a Haven Suite. 

Please remember, what I am about to say is my personal opinion.  Nothing more and nothing less.  With a budget of $3,000.00 to upgrade to the (HI) Haven Suite, I would say, "NO".  Not because it is not in the Haven Proper; because on the Joy you have better options.  Just what until they send you a Upgrade Bid opportunity.  With a budget of $3,000.00 you should, key word should get a suite in the Haven Proper so suit everyone's needs.  If you want strategy on how to bid, just ask.

If your bid works, just cancel the extra meals and Vibe.  If your bid does not work, stay with the plan you have.  What you don't know is that the Vibe on the Joy is twice the size of the Vibe let's say on the Breakaway.  When the Haven Sundeck it crowded with happens all that time, you look through the fence and see the Vibe is wide open, has umbrella's and two hot tubs.  I think that says it all.  

On the food situation, sure you cancel the four Specialty meals however it is still nice to have variety.  Also, the Haven Bar is always crowded and the Vibe Bar is never crowded.  If you bid reasonably, you can get a Haven Upgrade, keep the vibe and the meals.  Your call.  

I hope that makes sense.  Feel free to ask me any questions you like.  I loved my travels on the Joy.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

If you want strategy on how to bid, just ask.

Hi Gary. A question I have pondered myself  - 'strategy.' I'm sailing Joy in May, currently booked in an MB. Would like to bid for Haven and have a budget of c. $2500-$3000 which I'd be happy to part with in bidding. I've also-prebooked Vibe following your sage 'Haven Lite' advice so the effective cost is reduced as I would be getting a refund for Vibe.

I have a few schools of thought:

a) Bid, in decreasing order from most preferred cabin type to least.

b) Bid the same for all Haven categories and hope to get one.

c) NOT bid on an SC suite (unique to Joy as I understand it, and I know it's not a Haven suite). Probably overthinking it but I if I show an interest (even at a lower $ value) in an SC, I might get it and it will wipe out my chance on the Haven bids. Whereas if I don't bid for the SC at all, it's a much more binary 'Haven or not.'

From what I gather there is no winning technique and various factors such as total spend and ability to re-sell (to another bidder) the cabin you are vacating comes into play.

22 hours ago, js said:

Hi. 

Thank you. 

Our last cruise we had a Haven Courtyard cabin on the Escape. I have to admit it was really nice. On our upcoming cruise on the Getaway I had originally book a Spa Balcony, then prices came down for the Haven. I had a budget and booking a Haven Spa Balcony just fit (its the cheapest Haven cabin). I'm not worried at all we are not in the Haven Proper, it will probably take less than a minute to walk to the courtyard. I would prefer to be in the courtyard, however the cabin was close to 2K more and we would still need to pay for Thermal Spa passes

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'd take the Haven Suite mid-ship on deck 14 and not worry about not being in the Haven complex.......but I also prefer the aft-facing suites which are even farther away from the complex. 🤪

If you want to drop VIBE and a few specialty meals, you'll still have everything Haven for the $2,200 increase. 

Thank you very much. I don't mind the walk and not being in the Haven proper, my husband, not so much LOL

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JGmf said:

Sailed in the Haven proper, Haven spa on 14, and regular ol'balcony with upgrades as you are planning.

My opinion: staying out of the Haven proper, in a Haven-perks room, is BETTER than being in the Haven itself: it's a better value, still get access to sun deck and restaurant....and don't have to see the same people in the bubble.  Plus, I don't mind walking around to/from room to Haven as exercise is a good thing.

That said, it's a better value to just get a balcony and buy the Vibe pass ("Haven lite" as @Sthrngary has named it).  We didn't miss the Haven restaurant THAT MUCH to justify the big up-charge.  (Butler: don't care/don't need...but that's just us).

Have a great cruise.

Thank you.

Being in the bubble is exactly what my dh prefers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

a) Bid, in decreasing order from most preferred cabin type to least.

The bidding process is really odd.  NCL uses a third party company to make the selections.  The order does not make a difference.  The way I look at it, I want a Haven Upgrade, it does not matter which Haven Suite.  It does not matter if it is in the Haven proper or not.  I will only bid higher that a few off the minimum is I really want the suite.  Again, you only get award one, the strategy is just get a Haven suite. 

8 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

b) Bid the same for all Haven categories and hope to get one.

Go on to Cruise (dot) com and look at the inventory.  Which ever the Haven category that has the most suites, bid a little lower for those.  Less suites, bid a little higher.  always remember, "Haven Lite" is still pretty awesome. 

10 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

c) NOT bid on an SC suite (unique to Joy as I understand it, and I know it's not a Haven suite). Probably overthinking it but I if I show an interest (even at a lower $ value) in an SC, I might get it and it will wipe out my chance on the Haven bids. Whereas if I don't bid for the SC at all, it's a much more binary 'Haven or not.'

Yes, pass on the SC suites.  Stay with what you have.  I think you are in a Club Suite so you get a free back of laundry and some snacks.  You are over thinking it but your question still has merit. I know I said this earlier.  On the Joy, the Haven is lovely.  We stayed as a family of 4 in the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  We used every ounce of value you could get from staying n the Haven. 

Yet, the Vibe on the Joy is super special.  Double the size of normal Vibes, two huge hot tubs, super comfortable loungers and a crew that will do almost anything for you.  "Haven Lite" is a good thing so don't be disappointed if you don't get a Haven upgrade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

I'm just off of the Joy this weekend @jsand those midship Haven cabins are not as good as the two-bedroom family suites that immediately adjoin them on the center hall.  Moreover, the steward service on that hall was quite poor - had to raise the issue with the Housekeeping Manager.  Save your money!

I've been in two bedroom suites and wouldn't even think they could compare to the Joy's midship Haven cabins. I'm sorry you had poor service.

17 hours ago, vacation44 said:

In February we stayed in a Haven Suite on 14 and then in September stayed in a non Haven Suite also on 14 but purchased vibe passes.   Enjoyed our September sailing experience more and saved alot of money.  The only thing we missed is the Haven Restaurant but we got over it with the savings and specialty restaurants.   

I'll miss the Haven restaurant if we don't book. I love to go to the gym early, come back and they have my iced coffee waiting and I order breakfast, sit by myself while my dh is still sleeping. It is just a little thing that I absolutely love lOL

14 hours ago, cabincop said:

I never thought you could have a bad haven room. I was proven wrong however when I went from deck 14 haven to deck 18 haven. It was below hot tubs. And below Vibe. I won’t ever do upgrade again. This was my first time upgrading. Wish I had stayed on 14. 

Thank you. Yes, it is important to always check what is above/below your cabin.

13 hours ago, scanr said:

We have only booked Haven on NCL.  It is the reason I am coming back to cruising.  If no larger Haven rooms available, I won't book that ship or itinerary.  No excuse for being a cruise snob, I have earned it.  I don't wish to interact with 4,000 passengers and not have space and some solitude. The newer ships have too many people and I am appalled at chair saving/lack of space around pools, etc..  The haven is as close to chartering without spending big bucks on Luxury lines.  Looking to book Breakaway out of Rome.  This is a newer ship for us.  I love the GEM/Jade/Pearl Havens with larger rooms.  If booked in the haven, does it make any sense to book Club Vibe or a waste of money?

Thanks.

I know many book both Vibe with Haven. Personally, we don't but I know many do, especially when traveling during holidays and summer with many kids on board.

3 hours ago, deweytrader said:

Been on Joy 3 times, once in Haven Penthouse Suite deck 17, once in Balcony and most recently in Haven Suite on deck 14.  I preferred the Haven Suite on deck 14, much better room layout and quick walk to haven proper and usually a lot less money.

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Our last cruise we had a Haven Courtyard cabin on the Escape. I have to admit it was really nice. On our upcoming cruise on the Getaway I had originally book a Spa Balcony, then prices came down for the Haven. I had a budget and booking a Haven Spa Balcony just fit (its the cheapest Haven cabin). I'm not worried at all we are not in the Haven Proper, it will probably take less than a minute to walk to the courtyard. I would prefer to be in the courtyard, however the cabin was close to 2K more and we would still need to pay for Thermal Spa passes

We both love the Haven Courtyard cabins and Escape is my favorite haven ship (so far LOL).

I may just wait with the prices and seeing about bidding for an upgrade. We shall see.

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@js Within the last 12 months, I have cruised the NCL Joy twice.  The first time with my family of four in the Haven.  I also usually always cruise NCL in the Haven.  The second time a few months after I cruised as a solo in a Club Balcony Suite.  

I am about to cruise Next Week on the NCL Breakaway this time Non-Haven with my Wife.  So I have a perspective on Haven and Non-Haven on the Joy.  I also know how to structure my cruises to get what I call a "Haven Lite" experience.  Allow me to add that I have been in both the Haven Proper and a few decks below the Haven in a Haven Suite. 

Please remember, what I am about to say is my personal opinion.  Nothing more and nothing less.  With a budget of $3,000.00 to upgrade to the (HI) Haven Suite, I would say, "NO".  Not because it is not in the Haven Proper; because on the Joy you have better options.  Just what until they send you a Upgrade Bid opportunity.  With a budget of $3,000.00 you should, key word should get a suite in the Haven Proper so suit everyone's needs.  If you want strategy on how to bid, just ask.

If your bid works, just cancel the extra meals and Vibe.  If your bid does not work, stay with the plan you have.  What you don't know is that the Vibe on the Joy is twice the size of the Vibe let's say on the Breakaway.  When the Haven Sundeck it crowded with happens all that time, you look through the fence and see the Vibe is wide open, has umbrella's and two hot tubs.  I think that says it all.  

On the food situation, sure you cancel the four Specialty meals however it is still nice to have variety.  Also, the Haven Bar is always crowded and the Vibe Bar is never crowded.  If you bid reasonably, you can get a Haven Upgrade, keep the vibe and the meals.  Your call.  

I hope that makes sense.  Feel free to ask me any questions you like.  I loved my travels on the Joy.

Thank you so much! I was so hoping you would comment on my question 🙂

Yes, I've been following and read your Haven Lite thread. Love it and my dh calls our cruise Haven Lite.

I think I will do as you mention. I will keep as is. Since we are willing to spend the extra $3K, I will wait and see if there are any cabins available come July 2023. Not sure since summer but I will wait.
If we can get the upgrade to Courtyard, fab and if not, we will be very happy with what we have and it will be a new experience.

Thank you so much and I will most certainly be asking you about the bidding process when it gets closer to my cruise. We have never bid before since we always just book the cabin that we want.

Thank you so much again. I am going to read this to my dh tonight.

• Like 1

I was on the Joy to Bermuda in late October.  We booked aft penthouses in the past (still our favorite cabins) but stayed in the Haven proper this time.  Since my husband is handicapped, this worked much better for us.  And, the Joy was packed with people.  Everytime I ventured out of the Haven it felt like Times Square on New Year's Eve. 

We did eat at Ocean Blue and Le Bistro; both were AMAZING.  And the Haven Restaurant menu never changing is nuts.  NCL obviously never plans to do a world cruise....

• Like 1

We have sailed in the Haven 3 times and loved staying in the Haven proper but our last cruise on the Joy we had a balcony room and Vibe passes. We enjoyed the Vibe being kid free which Haven is not. We spent so much time in the Vibe we hardly ever enjoyed our balcony so next time we are thinking we could do an Oceanview and the Vibe.

• Like 2

Not sure if this matters at all or not, but which category of Haven on Deck 14 are you looking at?  There is both HI and HJ.  HI is shorter but wider with the walk in closet area.  HJ is longer and narrower but many of the rooms have a large structural post in the middle.  I think the HJ are the cheaper of the two.  Deck above has the same HI but adds the bigger HH version, which is even bigger. No idea if the open deck above 15 gets super noisy through, as we've only done a Club Class on 15 to Alaska and it wasn't noisy at all.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, BabsinTX said:

I was on the Joy to Bermuda in late October.  We booked aft penthouses in the past (still our favorite cabins) but stayed in the Haven proper this time.  Since my husband is handicapped, this worked much better for us.  And, the Joy was packed with people.  Everytime I ventured out of the Haven it felt like Times Square on New Year's Eve. 

We did eat at Ocean Blue and Le Bistro; both were AMAZING.  And the Haven Restaurant menu never changing is nuts.  NCL obviously never plans to do a world cruise....

Thank you. Yes, I don't understand how the Haven menu never changes.

We sail Yacht Club on MSC and the menu changes daily. It's a different line and sail that with my mom since my dh and I enjoy NCL, but IMO the YC surpasses Haven in many areas.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, kernie968 said:

We have sailed in the Haven 3 times and loved staying in the Haven proper but our last cruise on the Joy we had a balcony room and Vibe passes. We enjoyed the Vibe being kid free which Haven is not. We spent so much time in the Vibe we hardly ever enjoyed our balcony so next time we are thinking we could do an Oceanview and the Vibe.

Thank you.

I was reading this to my husband last night when he was trying to convince himself to stay outside the courtyard area and he wasn't aware the Vibe was 18 and older. While we don't mind kids (we have two adult children and one grandchild), when I'm not sailing with my own, I don't need to be around them if I can avoid it LOL

On 12/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, scooter6139 said:

Not sure if this matters at all or not, but which category of Haven on Deck 14 are you looking at?  There is both HI and HJ.  HI is shorter but wider with the walk in closet area.  HJ is longer and narrower but many of the rooms have a large structural post in the middle.  I think the HJ are the cheaper of the two.  Deck above has the same HI but adds the bigger HH version, which is even bigger. No idea if the open deck above 15 gets super noisy through, as we've only done a Club Class on 15 to Alaska and it wasn't noisy at all.

Thank you. I think HJ, I have to look in my emails. Really, the cabin doesn't matter to us as long as we have a balcony, it is everything else outside the cabin that matters, at least to me.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, Sthrngary said:

I just wanted to come back and say thank you. My husband was trying to convince himself yesterday about possibly booking outside of the Courtyard and I know he really doesn't want to do this (and as I mentioned, we have many other trips booked for 2023).

I read him the responses from this thread and then told him that your post was one I was hoping that would respond to me. I think we will do as you suggested.

We will keep what we have and purchase the extra specialty meals. 
We will keep Vibe. My dh wasn't aware that it was over 18, this is a big plus. We have adult children and a grandchild but when we aren't cruising with my kids, I don't need to be around other families LOL  We don't go in the pool but we do enjoy going in the hot tubs. However, when we sail in the summer, we really never get in the hot tubs in the Haven because kids use them as little pools.

This is a big plus for the Vibe as well as the bar. 

We will wait and see when we get the upgrade email. I will only bid for Courtyard but we are sailing in the summer and not sure there really will be any availability but we shall see.

Thank you so much again. I'm happy with what we have either way.

• Like 1