Two styles of cruising emerging WITHIN Celebrity... traditional vs. high energy YOUNGER crowds.

taras333

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Those are called Charters…

Sailings where the cruise lines alter the rules, such as allowing nudity, yes that is a FULL charter.  There are also partial charters where many venue can be closed for "private events".  Finally there are simply group bookings which could attract party people.  Here's a highlight of the most popular ones (was on short Carnival cruise):

"THE NUMBERS SO FAR: 517 - the total # of people who successfully snuck alcohol on board, 5 - the number of hours it took for the first guy to be banned from drinking the rest of the weekend, 2 - the number of people arrested on the ship for narcotics, 4 - the number of failed attempts at the cruise group photo, 16 - the number of people total banned from drinking by Carnival, 26 - the number of times the "roaming flip cup crew" got forced to stop playing, and most importantly: 0 - the number of players left behind in Mexico.

(Search carnival kickball cruise to see the madness for yourselves)."

11 hours ago, taras333 said:

Very interesting video highlighting the differences in Celebrity cruising...  'Edge' vs. 'Solstice' Class ships... traditional classic style vs. high energy YOUNGER crowds and venues.  Worth a watch!

Click here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUzRrtGf5g

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 3.28.02 AM.jpg

I also wanted to comment about the picture, in a lot of these events they're attended by crew members to help "get the party going".  I believe the three gentlemen closest to us are crew members.  Far more likely that they're crew seemingly posted to outside vs three guys booking an Edge sailing, them all bringing white pants and them not dancing in the middle of the action

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This says it all...

image.thumb.png.d1378b63ea3429e7a743eb7b11a6044f.png

Yeah, saw that a few days after in posted it.

One thing I've noticed about Gary over the years...he knows how to write a subject line that's generally perfect click bait. I should know...I click on them.  🤣

By the end of each video, he almost always manages to walk the middle line.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Yeah, saw that a few days after in posted it.

One thing I've noticed about Gary over the years...he knows how to write a subject line that's generally perfect click bait. I should know...I click on them.  🤣

By the end of each video, he almost always manages to walk the middle line.  

He seemed to practice some self-control as his CURRENT title (for all we know he changed it) isn't click-bait.  "What Celebrity has been up to?", I'd just speculate it was about them increasing fees while decreasing the food quality and selection...lol

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

He seemed to practice some self-control as his CURRENT title (for all we know he changed it) isn't click-bait.  "What Celebrity has been up to?", I'd just speculate it was about them increasing fees while decreasing the food quality and selection...lol

Pretty sure that is the original title. As I was busy researching X at the time, any vid that had 'Celebrity' in the title was on my watch list...

Sure wish I could cruise as much as he does!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's one thing to refurbish the decor and another thing entirely to take a ship and morph it into something else (ship within a ship concept).  If they continue to revolutionize the remaining S class ships to be more like the E class, then in my view they really aren't playing to multiple age demographics at all.  I guess I'm a traditionalist.

I tend to be a traditionalist too but let's be honest, the "ship within a ship" concept has been happening slowly over many many years, the Edge class just made it more obvious.

On our first cruise on the Constellation back in 2002 there was no Luminae or Blu, Michael's Club was a cigar lounge that was open to everyone, and the spa was a paid option for everyone. Now Blu & free thermal spa access is for Aqua cabins and Luminae & Michael's are reserved for suites. It may have been more subtle and spread out through the ship but it's still a "ship within a ship" in my eyes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I guess I'm now a part of the older demographic 🙃 by definition but still enjoy a lively atmosphere...

I'm trying to figure out which demographic I'm in... lol.  My point of highlighting this video as well as a few other posts I've made- inquiring whether there is a disco (nightclub) on board is because I miss those from the 80' and 90's era cruises (when I was younger).   Did  few Celebrity cruises in the last decade or two since those dance clubs disappeared and found the ships a bit too SLEEPY.  Wanted a little bit of a party crowd with dancing, etc but it couldn't be found. All that being said, I was somewhat pleased to hear there is a DJ in the club late night and some sort of similar lively activity in the center (rotunda?) area for my next sailing...  going on the 'Beyond' in December so will see how it all turns out. 🙂  (First time Edge class ship)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 20165 said:

My wife and I are early 50s and prefer the more traditional cruise...

I think I definitely prefer "traditional" too, with reference to the DINING room options.  

A little apprehensive about not having a SET dining room and table for my "Beyond" sailing in Dec.  Confused by having to choose from 4 different main dining restaurants.  I like having the same table, and the SAME WAITER and busser  for the whole sailing...  makes you feel more special because they get to know you and your preferences. And then I also have one waiter I can tip extra for that special treatment.  

I chose a '10 top' for the late seating... but don't want to be stuck in the 'Tuscan Grill' eating Italian all week. Is there still a LOBSTER for the formal night? Do all the restaurants serve it?

If we switch to one of the other 3 main dining restaurants for other nights, my new found friends from the '10 top' will not be there, nor my waiter. So...I may confirm in my report after this sailing that I definitely MISS the traditional cruising concept of the other ships.   But... will reserve my judgement till after the sailing. 🙂 

13 hours ago, cmaleblanc said:

both in our mid 30's...

Not to digress but.. .Prior to hearing that the live music venue turns into a club with a DJ late night, I thought I was going to have to make a suggestion to the cruise director about "demographic" and music choice in the venues.  

When I was cruising in my 30's there were folks on the ship 60-70 years old who grew up on music in the 1950's... so a classical violin trio in the lounge might have been appropriate.  

Now that I'm 55, maybe I look "old" to the younger crowd, but I like the music I listened to in the 1980's-90's.  ( I don't want the violin trio. lol  like my grandmother would have enjoyed. 🙂 )  

So I'm hoping the entertainment directors are cognizant of this... not just the new demographic of a younger crowd, but the shift of what a 'middle age' crowd  (my age group) looks like and grew up with.  

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 12.56.30 AM.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taras333 said:

I think I definitely prefer "traditional" too, with reference to the DINING room options.  

A little apprehensive about not having a SET dining room and table for my "Beyond" sailing in Dec.  Confused by having to choose from 4 different main dining restaurants.  I like having the same table, and the SAME WAITER and busser  for the whole sailing...  makes you feel more special because they get to know you and your preferences. And then I also have one waiter I can tip extra for that special treatment.  

I chose a '10 top' for the late seating... but don't want to be stuck in the 'Tuscan Grill' eating Italian all week. Is there still a LOBSTER for the formal night? Do all the restaurants serve it?

If we switch to one of the other 3 main dining restaurants for other nights, my new found friends from the '10 top' will not be there, nor my waiter. So...I may confirm in my report after this sailing that I definitely MISS the traditional cruising concept of the other ships.   But... will reserve my judgement till after the sailing. 🙂 

Maybe they changed it post pandemic, but the original plan was that you can still choose set dining, and you'll be assigned to one of the dining rooms.  All will have the same regular menu, but each will have a few additional items related to the the theme.  We were on the Edge very early, and all dining rooms had one choice each from one of the other rooms.  For example, the French one had a pasta from the Italian one, as well as a couple of unique items related to the their theme.  They all had the same regular menu.

I don't think they've changed it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, taras333 said:

There's some confusion based on the restaurant  naming.. Tuscan MDR is not Tuscan Grill which is a specialty restaurant. The 4 MDRs on Edge class ships all have the same rotating daily menu you'd see on other ships. So there will be lobster on one "formal" night. In addition, each of the 4 has it's own options ( same each day) which fit the theme of that restaurant....Italian, French, Continental or Greek . To make it more confusing, you can order, say, a Cosmopolitan special in Tuscan.  They definitely made dining a mental workout on the new ships 😀

Edited by Smmessineo

I'm trying to figure out which demographic I'm in... lol.  My point of highlighting this video as well as a few other posts I've made- inquiring whether there is a disco (nightclub) on board is because I miss those from the 80' and 90's era cruises (when I was younger).   Did  few Celebrity cruises in the last decade or two since those dance clubs disappeared and found the ships a bit too SLEEPY.  Wanted a little bit of a party crowd with dancing, etc but it couldn't be found. All that being said, I was somewhat pleased to hear there is a DJ in the club late night and some sort of similar lively activity in the center (rotunda?) area for my next sailing...  going on the 'Beyond' in December so will see how it all turns out. 🙂  (First time Edge class ship)

You will enjoy silent disco night. It was a whole lot of fun when we were on Apex.

• Haha 1

A little apprehensive about not having a SET dining room and table for my "Beyond" sailing in Dec.  Confused by having to choose from 4 different main dining restaurants.  I like having the same table, and the SAME WAITER and busser  for the whole sailing.

Assuming your preferred time is available, make it for the same time in the same dining room - then on boarding go to the dining area to request that you be seated with the same servers every night. May not be exactly the same table, but they should be able to put you in the same section.

• Like 1

Someone posted part of my comment above stating that my wife and i are in our early 50s and prefer a more traditional cruise which is very true, however, the rest of my post went on to say my 16-19yo prefer a RCL/NCL type of cruise and my wife and I have 'outgrown' that so we are hoping the Apex is a good mix of both. According to what im reading here, its sounds like it may be. Could be a good niche for families with older kids.

Good thread. thx

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smmessineo said:

There's some confusion based on the restaurant  naming.. Tuscan MDR is not Tuscan Grill which is a specialty restaurant. The 4 MDRs on Edge class ships all have the same rotating daily menu you'd see on other ships. So there will be lobster on one "formal" night. In addition, each of the 4 has it's own options ( same each day) which fit the theme of that restaurant....Italian, French, Continental or Greek . To make it more confusing, you can order, say, a Cosmopolitan special in Tuscan.  They definitely made dining a mental workout on the new ships 😀

Around 2005, Princess introduced 2 ships (Diamond and Sapphire), that had four small "anytime" rooms.  Each had a theme, and there was a small additional menu related to the theme.  All of the theme menus were available in all the dining rooms, including the traditional one.

I think that there were long lines for a couple of the anytime rooms, and no lines for the less popular themes, and people in line were reluctant to change to a different room, in spite of the fact that all dining rooms offered exactly the same menus.

By the time I sailed in early 2006, they'd completely dropped the theme menus.  It was, apparently, causing more problems than it was worth.

• Like 1

Such an interesting topic! Our first X cruise was age 25 on the Solstice, then 26 on the Equinox. About to do the Apex at age 36. I am so curious about the difference. Even though we are part of the "younger" crowd we enjoy classical musical and listening to the violin, we also enjoy trendy restaurants and downtempo/EDM music. This is what appeals us to Celebrity and very curious to try the Edge class after sailing on Solstice class.

• Like 3

My observations and based on Caribbean cruises

The early  shows are usually 30%.   

The later shows are more crowded.   

Since most are frequent passengers they no longer want to see the same lame production shows that haven’t been changed  and won’t attend.   I am one 

Some guests entertainers are good and could warrant seeing again but for the most part they are constant repeats.   Don’t need to see again. 

The crowded party showing the younger crowd could have been a special party for the crew.   This happened on a cruise we were on.   The pool deck was closed to the passengers for a crew party.   It is like the photos in the brochures glamorizing the cruise experience showing the young dressed to the nines dining and drinking.   I have never seen that many younger passengers on a cruise other than the crew or it may have been a staged event for the video.  

On our last cruise the atrium was full of ‘old” people participating in the silent disco.  They were in the atrium, on the stairs and along the upper decks.   It was the same for the moon party.   The pool area was packed with the old folks. 

It is marketing but the old folks are those paying the bills and the younger generation isn’t interested in cruises and most can’t afford it.  If they can afford it  there are other places that are more attractive and desirable where they can spend their money without any restrictions.   EX.  They can go to any bar and purchase real premium spirits and not be told it is a supply issue.  We were recently.   it is nothing for them to buy a bottle at a club paying $1000, smoke weed, doing drugs and having free for all sex.   Won’t happen on X no matter how hard they try.  Too many restrictions to attract that crowd.  

Why go on a cruise when you have South Beach? 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

Just off the Apex TA 2 weeks ago and agree with several here about the change in atmosphere/vibe on the Edge class vs "S" class.  We do have another Apex cruise booked but have already decided we will stick with "S" class after that.   

The music in the atrium was so loud all evening long, with a DJ as the majority of the entertainment.  

We aren't old, but we aren't 30 anymore either, and the throbbing music that pervades the entire atrium area is just not what I call entertainment.  What we mostly saw, outside of those hanging around the martini bar, were people passing through quickly... us included.  Not much to entice you to sit down.  

Would love to see a 3 piece band like the Ensemble Lounge on "S" class usually features or a jazz band or a dance band like we used to see in the Sky Lounge.... that's why we are heading back to "S" class after our next cruise...... IF we find itineraries we like and can afford.....   the increasing prices make unique itineraries more important, can't see paying top dollar to do the same cruise over and over.

• Like 2

I took my first Celebrity cruise when I was 14 and I'm almost 44 now and still enjoy it. I do go to the Silent Disco but I'm also perfectly happy listening to acoustic guitar at the Sunset Bar or the entertainment in the Rendezvous Lounge. I enjoy dinners at Tuscan Grill but I also like the buffets at Oceanview Cafe. I stop by the Martini Bar daily but I can also sit and enjoy a nice glass of wine in Cellar Masters.  I've already been on the Apex and Equinox this year and had a great time on both and I'm sure I will have a great time on Summit next week.

Bottom line is I 've grown up with Celebrity Cruises and I still enjoy because I can find various things for the different moods I may be in (or I can sit on my balcony and do absolutely nothing at all).

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Just off the Apex TA 2 weeks ago and agree with several here about the change in atmosphere/vibe on the Edge class vs "S" class.  We do have another Apex cruise booked but have already decided we will stick with "S" class after that.   

The music in the atrium was so loud all evening long, with a DJ as the majority of the entertainment.  

We aren't old, but we aren't 30 anymore either, and the throbbing music that pervades the entire atrium area is just not what I call entertainment.  What we mostly saw, outside of those hanging around the martini bar, were people passing through quickly... us included.  Not much to entice you to sit down.  

Would love to see a 3 piece band like the Ensemble Lounge on "S" class usually features or a jazz band or a dance band like we used to see in the Sky Lounge.... that's why we are heading back to "S" class after our next cruise...... IF we find itineraries we like and can afford.....   the increasing prices make unique itineraries more important, can't see paying top dollar to do the same cruise over and over.

Off the Solstice two full sailings ago, they posted a DJ right by the Martini bar

12 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Will we see Celebrity split into two brands? Seems a likely option.

Won't happen, OP created an epic click-bait title...When X runs commercials, they use actors with a younger age range than the actual passengers and they only showcase the E-Class because its their newest ship.

There is hardly any division between E-Class and S/M-Class, this thread is literally pointless

• Like 1