Purchasing Specialty Dinning during day 1 or 2

Jcol5786

We have been on 4 cruises in the last year. On our last cruise we realized that since startup no one has been approaching us asking if we want to purchase any Specialty dining. This used to happen regularily usually while dining in the WJ during the first day or to. We don't do a lot of Specialty dinning but we have in the past purchased for the days we were bored with the MDR menu. We used to get some good offers and found we could usually negoiate a better price with some resturants. I assume this has gone by the way because of staffing levels. We were thinking about doing Chiefs Table on our last cruise and we did go to the MDR as instructed to purchase but the first day lines were hugh and we chose not to wait. I assume the days of the roving sales teams have gone by the wayside or is it still happening on some ships? 

The days of pushing specialty dining are still with us. A lot of it has to do with the revenue department metrics. If there were a lot of pre-sales on dining, there is less of a push to fill more tables. The last two cruises we've been on, we were approached by staff with folios hawking specialty dining, and they were somewhat negotiable on the pricing depending on the venue.

Edited by footzz

Thanks footzz for the reply. That's a good explination. We were Oasis twice, Anthem and Adventure once and they are sailing at capacity so I guess they didn't need to push the specialty dinning as much. To bad as I would have done for Chef's Table especially if there was a discount offered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Why do people like specialty Dinning so much? To me it's irritating.   🙂

Recently, I have seen the staff trying to sell off days in the Windjammer on day one and periodically milling around outside venues during the day.

Food is much better, ambience is upgraded, food cooked to order, never any rush for next course. We always have a  BOGO or a 3/5 night package.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Food is much better, ambience is upgraded, food cooked to order, never any rush for next course. We always have a  BOGO or a 3/5 night package.

Agreed that would be specialty dining. Specialty dinning is an entire different thing. (Yes, being “That Guy”) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Agreed that would be specialty dining. Specialty dinning is an entire different thing. (Yes, being “That Guy”) 

Thanks. I sometimes forget that Dining is the same as Whining. I'll try to be perfect next time so you won't need to be "That Guy".

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Why do people like specialty Dinning so much? To me it's irritating.   🙂

Recently, I have seen the staff trying to sell off days in the Windjammer on day one and periodically milling around outside venues during the day.

We never do specialty dining.  We thing the food in the MDR is perfectly fine.  If my husband wants an upgraded steak, cheaper to buy it in the MDR than to go to specialty.  I don't eat meat (only chicken/turkey) and zero seafood, so specialty dining is a total waste of money for us.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

Thanks footzz for the reply. That's a good explination. We were Oasis twice, Anthem and Adventure once and they are sailing at capacity so I guess they didn't need to push the specialty dinning as much. To bad as I would have done for Chef's Table especially if there was a discount offered.

You're welcome. I've had some interesting conversations with a couple of revenue managers. They were a wealth of knowledge (pun intended) regarding the methods they use to generate revenue and increase on-board spending.

• Thanks 1

July on Navigator we went to Windjammer upon boarding.  They came around offering 1/2 price for that night at Jamie's so we took it.  Even though the service wasn't great the food was the best we had onboard the entire cruise.  We were just on Wonder in an OS and in the past when in the suite lounge upon embarkation we would get offers to book Chef's table for a discount.  This time on Wonder no such offers were forthcoming.  Plus the concierges never came out from behind their desk except at the end of the cruise to look for tips, they didn't get any.  In the past on Allure and Oasis the concierges would work the tables every night in the suite lounge making sure all was well.  More than once one would sit down and have a cocktail with us.  Now they seem to busy to be friendly unless you go to them.  They should take their desk away or at least move it out of the far corner.  

• Like 1

We had droves of sales people offering dining and drink packages as well as sushi making classes, etc on our most recent two cruises (Grandeur and Adventure). Boarding the Jewel tomorrow so we will see! We love the specialty dining options and when you get them at a discount it's well worth it (IMO).

On 12/2/2022 at 1:23 PM, springfire said:

The food and service in the Main Dining Room has definitely gone down hill over the years.  We now find ourselves enjoying Specialty Dining on occasion and eating more meals in the Windjammer.  

We just got off Oasis yesterday and our service in the MDR (my time dining) was great.  We had different wait staff every night and no issues at all.