passport renewal time?

We mailed our passport renewals on March 5. They go to Irving which is about 3 1/2 hours up the road from us. Our passports didn't expire until 2025 but since we didn't have a trip planned, we decided to go ahead and renew them. I did regular processing. We got the new passports in the mail yesterday, March 22. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We are very fortunate here in the UK to be able to have more than one passport. Just renewed my second one in February so thats me got 5 year gaps between renewals and always one available whilst the other is being renewed.

Did the premium service and got it back in less than a week.

Edited by Digjharper

Just shy of 2 weeks for me, sent on the 12th which was priority mail (though idiot USPS did not complete tracking) they cashed the check on the 19th.  Paid for expedited service.  

Still nothing yet, but also includes passport card with it, which could slow it down a bit.  

Though I WAS doing the happy dance yesterday when we finally received our Global Entry cards!  Whew...that was a long process!  

Wow, thats a bad service!

We live in Europe and have dual nationality.
For one nationality you have to go to the office, and then wait 20 minutes for the print of the passport.  Sometimes are waiting times for an appointment for 4-6 weeks, but only bevor the summer holidays.

And our other country have 3-4 days to print the passport. 

On 3/24/2024 at 6:08 AM, island lady said:

Though I WAS doing the happy dance yesterday when we finally received our Global Entry cards!  Whew...that was a long process!  

I just renewed my Global Entry last week and received my new expiration date in less than 24 hours. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I just renewed my Global Entry last week and received my new expiration date in less than 24 hours. 

My sister did the same thing yesterday.  Was like you, 24 hours.  

Ours was first time application.  I did the original application in May of last year, had to wait six months for conditional approval...then wait until this month just to get an appointment to have pictures, fingerprints, present passports, drivers license, and face to face interview.  

Had to drive 2 hours south, versus the 45 minutes it would take to drive to Orlando.   Orlando had no appointments available at all this year.  Yikes.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crusin okie said:

Submitted renewal applications on 2/9/24.  Checks were cashed shortly thereafter.  Have not received them as yet. 

Did you opt/pay for expedited service?  

NOTE !!!  If you in SE USA, there is a BIG problem brewing in the USPS. The major distribution site in Palmetto, GA is backed up beyond belief. The local new has tried to talk with USPS management, but all they will say is 'unexpected difficulties'. The whole mess has both our Congressman Collins and US Senators now involved. They get no answers either. Mail has been sent to the wrong addresses or not delivered for weeks. People that get medications through the mail are suffering. There is a long list of problems.

So, if you are in the SE USA, please send in any mailed requests (i.e. passports) early. You may also request a signature for your mailing, but that seems to have a minimal effect.

On 3/24/2024 at 3:08 AM, island lady said:

Just shy of 2 weeks for me, sent on the 12th which was priority mail (though idiot USPS did not complete tracking) they cashed the check on the 19th.  Paid for expedited service.  

Still nothing yet, but also includes passport card with it, which could slow it down a bit.  

Your passport and passport cards will come in separate mailings. There will be a tracking number provided by email when the passports are sent out. Then you will get a 3rd mailing with the documents you provided for passport. If you log back into passport website you will see if the passport has been sent. If you see the documents have been sent back notice, your passport was probably sent back a week before that date. 

Just got back our second GE renewal. It was within 48 hours of online application, got the approval for renewal with no need for an interview.  Our first and only (thankfully) in person interview was done at Houston Bush airport. Scheduled a long layover from our HNL to MCO flight and did interview there. There was appointments available for all days and most hours. There was no interviews available at the HNL location for at least 9 months.  This was about a decade ago, before covid shutdown, and appointments were already scarce then.

Hope our paths cross soon. Wife and I are scheduled to do Med in Sept with MSC and then board Explorer for the TA and then B4B. Plan to return home in time for Christmas 2024. If god be willing we will be cruising a lot more in 2025 and forward. Have not cruised out of Port Canaveral since 2018. Pricing of RCL has been pretty steep and with Navigator out of San Pedro she has been our port of choice since restart from covid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, baldilocks said:

NOTE !!!  If you in SE USA, there is a BIG problem brewing in the USPS. The major distribution site in Palmetto, GA is backed up beyond belief. The local new has tried to talk with USPS management, but all they will say is 'unexpected difficulties'. The whole mess has both our Congressman Collins and US Senators now involved. They get no answers either. Mail has been sent to the wrong addresses or not delivered for weeks. People that get medications through the mail are suffering. There is a long list of problems.

So, if you are in the SE USA, please send in any mailed requests (i.e. passports) early. You may also request a signature for your mailing, but that seems to have a minimal effect.

A report I sent to USPS pointing out that my tracking was showing my priority envelope I sent to PA as still not delivered.   Though I already knew they had it when I saw the check amount go through my account.  I made them search for it. 

They finally checked and affirmed it had been delivered, but they had shown me no progress once it got to PA for over a week.  The same thing happened with my passport.  

So apparently the application letters being sent to processing center in PA are not being scanned in properly at the processing center by USPS.  Your government dollars at work.  🤪

9 hours ago, frank808 said:

Your passport and passport cards will come in separate mailings. There will be a tracking number provided by email when the passports are sent out. Then you will get a 3rd mailing with the documents you provided for passport. If you log back into passport website you will see if the passport has been sent. If you see the documents have been sent back notice, your passport was probably sent back a week before that date. 

Just got back our second GE renewal. It was within 48 hours of online application, got the approval for renewal with no need for an interview.  Our first and only (thankfully) in person interview was done at Houston Bush airport. Scheduled a long layover from our HNL to MCO flight and did interview there. There was appointments available for all days and most hours. There was no interviews available at the HNL location for at least 9 months.  This was about a decade ago, before covid shutdown, and appointments were already scarce then.

Hope our paths cross soon. Wife and I are scheduled to do Med in Sept with MSC and then board Explorer for the TA and then B4B. Plan to return home in time for Christmas 2024. If god be willing we will be cruising a lot more in 2025 and forward. Have not cruised out of Port Canaveral since 2018. Pricing of RCL has been pretty steep and with Navigator out of San Pedro she has been our port of choice since restart from covid.

Thanks Frank!  Yes, that was the same when we renewed our passports and passport cards (love those things!) the last time.     Came in separate envelopes, separate mailings.  It's USPS I have a problem with.  Uggh...   

Indeed will be nice when we renew our Global entry in five years...much more simple than the frustratingly long and complicated first application. 

Our next cruise is not until early May...so should be OK waiting for Bucky's new passport to come by then.  But I do want to get Bucky's new passport number into our Viking cruises to complete the registration.  They keep bugging me with emails to do so.  And those cruises are not until next year.  They are just anxious, with really early pay off and want their files updated right away.  Otherwise, we love the Viking line.  🙂