Current Check In/Boarding Times Procedure?

Greenpea2

Hoping someone can help. I am reading different things about how you get your boarding times. I think maybe some of the info has been from when they were still in full Covid procedure and that is what is confusing me. We are cruising out of Port Canaveral end of February. Am I supposed to do something, be proactive to get our boarding times? And if so, how and when? Thank you!

1 minute ago, Greenpea2 said:

Hoping someone can help. I am reading different things about how you get your boarding times. I think maybe some of the info has been from when they were still in full Covid procedure and that is what is confusing me. We are cruising out of Port Canaveral end of February. Am I supposed to do something, be proactive to get our boarding times? And if so, how and when? Thank you!

AT the 21 days prior to sail date, log into your MY NCL account and go to Check-In.  Once you go through the necessary steps, you will be able to select an available (drop-down) time.  Good Luck!!!

At 21 days before your cruise you'll be given the chance to check in on line.  Lots of questions and info to fill out, and upload pictures too. Within that process you'll be able to choose a time to show up at the port (not to be confused with actual boarding time).  Part of the port checkin will be a boarding number, assigned when your paperwork is done at the desk.  Then you sit down and wait for your number.

Don't need the app, you do it from your web page on the SUMMARY tab, START CHECKIN at top grayed out until 21 days.  For each guest you'll need a picture to upload  about like a passport photo, birth dates, credit card numbers and expiration, passport numbers and expiration, contact person not on trip.  As you progress through the form you may find some fields such as e-mail and phone are auto-filled from info NCL already has...DON'T BE FOOLED.  Retype that info and be sure to click VERIFY if that button appears.  Many on the board have written to say the auto-fill didn't work right and they had to re-enter the info to make it work (a glitch).

Once you've done all guests you should get green check marks by them.

Come back in a day or two and you'll be able to click DOWNLOAD E-DOCS at the bottom. Also there'a a button somewhere (I think it's on E-DOCS page) to print luggage tags if you didn't get yours in the mail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

Oh thank you, all! So all the online check-in info (names, address, age, passport numbers, etc) is no longer done UNTIL 21 days before, now. That's new. Do I need to download the NCL app on my phone for any treason?

The app is needed on the ship. You can check in from your laptop. 

12 midnight eastern time 21 days to departure is when check in opens. Early check in times will sell out quickly. 

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Be careful you pay attention to the minutia.  I just did both mine and my wife's check-in info but somehow I got 11 - 11:30 and my wife got 12 - 12:30.  Didn't notice until I printed out our eDocs.  😏

same sort of thing with us. Horrible!

Check In time and Boarding Time are TWO DIFFERENT times.  

Check In Time-- when to arrive at the terminal

Boarding Time-- Once the ship is cleared from the previous cruise, you will be allowed to board.  Usually boarding begins shortly after 11 A.M.

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Be careful you pay attention to the minutia.  I just did both mine and my wife's check-in info but somehow I got 11 - 11:30 and my wife got 12 - 12:30.  Didn't notice until I printed out our eDocs.  😏

Guess your wife will have to wait without you haha!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DwayneG said:

Don't need the app, you do it from your web page on the SUMMARY tab, START CHECKIN at top grayed out until 21 days.  For each guest you'll need a picture to upload  about like a passport photo, birth dates, credit card numbers and expiration, passport numbers and expiration, contact person not on trip.  As you progress through the form you may find some fields such as e-mail and phone are auto-filled from info NCL already has...DON'T BE FOOLED.  Retype that info and be sure to click VERIFY if that button appears.  Many on the board have written to say the auto-fill didn't work right and they had to re-enter the info to make it work (a glitch).

Once you've done all guests you should get green check marks by them.

Come back in a day or two and you'll be able to click DOWNLOAD E-DOCS at the bottom. Also there'a a button somewhere (I think it's on E-DOCS page) to print luggage tags if you didn't get yours in the mail.

Question - Once all the check in info has been provided, How long before NCL sends the Docs? I will be out of computer and phone accessibility beginning day 20 until the day of sailing.

What sort of info should I have at the ready at midnite (if I can actually pull that off, ha ha)? My last cruise was the week before they pulled all the cruises due to Covid. It feels like ages! And I can't really remember what the check in info includes. Name, address, phone number, (driver's license and/or passport number?), DOB...what else? And what do they need photos of, I can do those earlier to have them ready.

You all are such a great help!

18 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

What sort of info should I have at the ready at midnite (if I can actually pull that off, ha ha)? My last cruise was the week before they pulled all the cruises due to Covid. It feels like ages! And I can't really remember what the check in info includes. Name, address, phone number, (driver's license and/or passport number?), DOB...what else? And what do they need photos of, I can do those earlier to have them ready.

You all are such a great help!

Just the standard person info as before...name,address,passport info (no driver's license). As someone mentioned, don't use the auto fill options but type and verify email address and cell phone number. Make sure all boxes are checked and you have the green check mark in every section (I think there are 8 but it's been a few months since I did this). Photo is just a standard head shot, taken with your laptop or cellphone camera.  I have mine downloaded to my desktop and just upload it every time.

Edocs should be available anywhere from 2 to 24 hours afterwards.

Let's say I get a check in time of 10 AM. We have a hotel transport that will be taking us to the port. Do we have to be there at that exact check in time or is that time flexible as long as you don't get there earlier? The hotel cruise transportation has set times according to what cruise you are on so I won't know when that will be. 

4 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Let's say I get a check in time of 10 AM. We have a hotel transport that will be taking us to the port. Do we have to be there at that exact check in time or is that time flexible as long as you don't get there earlier? The hotel cruise transportation has set times according to what cruise you are on so I won't know when that will be. 

The check-in times are, in my experience, nothing more than suggestions in the hopes that enough people assume they are inflexible and arrive as scheduled. This spreads the passenger load out over the course of the morning and prevents overcrowding at 8am. I have never had any port employee look at my documents to see when check-in was scheduled. Show up early, late or precisely as scheduled. No matter when you arrive, you’re not boarding the ship until late morning (11-1130 ish). 

• Like 2

We found it way easier to use the "take photo" option rather than uploading a photo. When I tried uploading a photo, their system didn't accept it. It was a JPG file, but for some reason they didn't like it. When using the take photo option, it acts just like the facial recognition software and gives you a circle to move your face into, assuring that an acceptable image is captured.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, Greenpea2 said:

Oh thank you, all! So all the online check-in info (names, address, age, passport numbers, etc) is no longer done UNTIL 21 days before, now. That's new. Do I need to download the NCL app on my phone for any treason?

the app is useful when you're onboard.  You can see the freestyle daily on it as well as check your reservations.  You can also make reservations on the app.  I would recommend downloading the app before you get on the ship, though.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vince_g said:

We found it way easier to use the "take photo" option rather than uploading a photo. When I tried uploading a photo, their system didn't accept it. It was a JPG file, but for some reason they didn't like it. When using the take photo option, it acts just like the facial recognition software and gives you a circle to move your face into, assuring that an acceptable image is captured.

This is a good idea, but probably only for me. Chances are my husband won't want to stay up until midnite. But you never know--I will keep this mind. Thanks so much.

• Like 1