Info on carry-on luggage allowances.

Stockjock

Now that we're mostly traveling more, some may not know that different airlines have different carry-on bag allowances. Some airlines, especially non-US, have a smaller allowance in terms of size and some airlines even weigh your carry-on and personal bags.  

For example, my Tumi 22" carry-on would be allowed on an upcoming USA to Europe flight (United), but could not qualify as a carry-on on my return flight to the USA (Lufthansa).

Here's information on various airlines' carry-on bag allowances that some may find useful.

https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/

Carry-On Baggage

United Airlines ~ 56 x 35 x 22 centimeter

Lufthansa ~ 55 x 40 x 23 centimeter

(sources: Websites of United and Lufthansa)

55 centimeter are 21.6535 inches (21 21/32”)

.. You will be just fine ..

Returning from Barcelona (on American), I was not allowed to bring said Tumi bag aboard when it was just fine on the flight to Europe.  The cost to check the bag was $100 USD.  Fortunately, because my GF had military ID, they waived that fee.

In terms of Lufthansa, and other international airlines, I wouldn't bet on everything being "fine" on flights to or from Europe.  I'd make sure that the bag is fully compliant in terms of both size and weight.

On my most recent Lufthansa flight to Germany, they weighed my carry-on bag.  Each bag has a limit of 8kg (17 lbs. 10 ounces).  I read somewhere that they don't weigh carry-on bags, and I can only say that they definitely did weigh my bag.  

On domestic flights, I tend to really load up my carry-on bags, but I know that "wouldn't fly" (pardon the pun) on most international airlines.  On those flights, I tend to use a Thule backpack for carry-on (40l) and personal bag (20l).  The backpacks piggyback, meet international size requirements, and weigh next to nothing, which allows me to dedicate more of the weight towards my stuff, rather than worrying much about the weight of the bag itself.

In fact, here's a link to the bag I use, which is well-designed and I love the piggyback feature.  There are carrying handles, or it can be worn like a backpack.
Edited by Stockjock

What is this thread about ?

Luggage restrictions of airlines

..or..

advertisement of luggage brands

..or..

bragging about your “expensive” luggage

I am flying almost 40 years all over the world.. with 6+ international flights every year.

Never was my carry-on luggage subject to inspection. Never been measured.. never been weighted.

Why refer to a third-party website for information when airlines posting current restrictions ?

Have a good flight and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SirWolf said:

I am flying almost 40 years all over the world.. with 6+ international flights every year.

Never was my carry-on luggage subject to inspection. Never been measured.. never been weighted.

I'm very impressed you've never been inspected. Most of the European and UK airlines we've flown with in recent years will check your cabin baggage. Some check weight and some size. Some both. 

One airline accepted the size of our cabin bag on the outbound flight but refused it on the return!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I'm very impressed you've never been inspected. Most of the European and UK airlines we've flown with in recent years will check your cabin baggage. Some check weight and some size. Some both. 

I don't remember that our carry on has ever been inspected. They probably recognize our bags as okay in size.        

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

What does this have to do with MSC cruises?

While it may not have anything to do with the MSC on board experience, it is useful for those who have never travel outside the US and have no idea that what might "fly" on Southwest will not make it on board the aircraft outside the US.

Just as everyone should be fully aware of the Terms and Conditions of each cruise line before booking, people also need to research any restriction on their means of transportation to the cruise port.

Luggage restriction are available on the website of each carrier  being used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1