Specialty Restaurants… Reservations Question:

DenGNNJ

Question:  Regarding specialty restaurant reservations… I’ve read it’s important to make reservations as soon as you board the ship because they’re popular and open spots fill up fast.  Is this equally important for people booked in the Owner’s and Ocean suites… i.e. do they leave some space open for folks in these cabins when plan changes arise???  Thanks.

Edited by DenGNNJ

• DenGNNJ changed the title to Specialty Restaurants… Reservations Question:

I don't have enough experience to call it statistics, but on Journey in October our Butler was able to get us all the specialty reservations we requested at or close to our requested times – but we like to dine late, which may have helped.

What I did was go to the table on embarkation day right after lunch [note to self: next time don't have lunch first, do this immediately!].  We were closed out of all Chef's Tables [later got in to the second nights of both] but were able to get the two specialties early in the cruise that we wanted.  [It was clear that cabin level had no impact on your success at this stage.]

Then when we had a chance to view all the MDR menus on our cabin TV, I identified the weak menus and asked our Butler to get us reservations for those nights – whichever of the specialties he could, at 7:30-8:00.  He succeeded exactly as asked.

[I'm sure this last experience will vary from cruise to cruise.  One afternoon we had a voicemail in the cabin suggesting that if we cared we could arrive at Aqualina much earlier than our reservation time.  We didn't want to dine earlier and were afraid that we were forcing the staff to stay later just for us, but it turned out there were plenty of other diners staying as late as we did – so I think this was just a courtesy call offering us the flexibility if we wanted it.]

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 7:51 AM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

On my the Quest the only times you could choose were early sitting 6.00 to 6.30pm or 8.00 to 8,30pm.  There were always many empty tables at both sittings. I presume due to shortage of crew they have to limit the number of tables to ensure service is not impacted. 

I’m not sure that is a fair comment, there were 476 (maximum is around 700) passengers onboard and 404 crew.

On 12/10/2022 at 6:51 PM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

On my the Quest the only times you could choose were early sitting 6.00 to 6.30pm or 8.00 to 8,30pm.  There were always many empty tables at both sittings. I presume due to shortage of crew they have to limit the number of tables to ensure service is not impacted. 

No difference from pre pandemic fully staffed. Tables are only one part of the consideration the galley is shared between the two restaurants and is v small

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uktog said:

No difference from pre pandemic fully staffed. Tables are only one part of the consideration the galley is shared between the two restaurants and is v small

The specialties need a mix of twos, fours and sixes or more, so they can accommodate a different mix of patrons each night.

• Like 1