The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday December 5th, 2022

richwmn

19 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfish  What did you mean when you said-

As others have said, since Air Alaska made the change they will work with you to get a better schedule for you.  It may not be a legal connection.  

What I meant was that when the airline makes changes to your itinerary and it doesn't leave you enough time to connect to another flight, they are required to work with you to make it better.  Most airlines and airports have rules on connection times and if your connection time is less than the rules, it isn't a legal connection.  I was once left with a connection of -5 minutes.  My connecting flight left 5 minutes before my first flight arrived.  I called the airline and they fixed it with no problem.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Happy Blue Jeans Day!  I decided to 'dress up' for a trip to the local post office & changed from sweats (bought during the stay at home pandemic days) to blue jeans. After reading The Daily, decided to wear the jeans all day, while pulling weeds, cleaning sewing things, and starting Christmas cards.  I love our local US post office, and I am certainly behind with getting things ready to ship for the holidays.  A few people in line ahead of me were juggling big boxes and piles of stamped cards, all ready to post!  With my boxes and stamps in hand, I hope to catch up! 

• Like 13

5 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

My brother remains in the hospital because they couldn't make a decision about whether to release him or not.   I will be heading there shortly.    There is good news that he can go on oral antibiotics so his pic line will probably be finished when he leaves the hospital hopefully today.

Glad to hear that your brother’s pic line is coming out & antibiotics will do the trick. 

It sounds hopeful and my prayers continue.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Well, I'm the proud owner of a shiny new water heater. Apparently copper isn't allowed here for the gas connection any longer due to corrosion from the hydrogen sulfide added to the gas for smell, so there's a new stainless steel flexible line. They carted away the old one for $10. The guy was shocked at how old it was. Maybe in 2023 I'll replace the other one. The basement is a mess. The floor was dusty, and mixed with water there's a thin layer of mud. I'll clean tomorrow. Total cost was $1075. I still need a regular plumber for some other issues; my prior guy was quite expensive, so maybe time for someone new.

Happy to hear that you got most of the water heater problem solved but sorry about the expense.  Ugh on your clean up 😔 So sorry and good luck.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My problem now is a gum abscess. I had my teeth cleaned 2 weeks ago and apparently the hygienist left some polish up in my gum and I got infected. I'm on antibiotics and go back to the dentist tomorrow. I've never heard this before. I'm hoping everything gets fixed soon!

Oh dear, I hope the antibiotics help solve the problem and the dentist visit tomorrow helps assist.

2 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

A few people in line ahead of me were juggling big boxes and piles of stamped cards, all ready to post!  With my boxes and stamps in hand, I hope to catch up! 

Holy cow!  Sending them already?  I’m either very far behind or you are ahead of me 😉 Picking up my flat box at the post office tomorrow (foot permitting) for my gifts to ship.

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Just hope that if I leave Atlanta on May 3rd, I'll be in Vancouver on the 6th.

You sound like me for my upcoming cruise.  I’m leaving 3 days early. - not so much to explore the port pre-cruise but to make sure I get there in time 😉 weather permitting.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

I love our local US post office

I suppose we all complain at times about the postal service. But during the shutdown in 2020, when my office was allowed to stay open (with only one person working at a time), we weren't permitted to allow constituents into the building. Many of our members had a habit of bringing checks and documents in person -- not only because that was what they had always done, but because they liked to come in and chat. I started telling them about a "wonderful new thing called the post office" where you could put something called a "postage stamp" on an envelope and a government employee would take it and slip it through our mail slot the next day. If they insisted on coming in person, we could only allow them as far as the vestibule, where they could drop the envelope in a basket and leave immediately.

• Like 9

I realized tonight that I hadn’t read yesterday’s Daily after I posted. 

Vanessa @JazzyV, I’m sorry about your arrangement not arriving in time for the service. Have you thought about sending BFF a potted plant instead?  My DM received several after her DH passed and they were very nice. She gave me several that I enjoyed for years.  It was a lovely reminder of my stepfather. 

On 12/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, 4966and556 said:

Hi!  Just got here after a busy morning.  We went and bought some ground beef and then came home and used the food saver machine to divide a lot of meat into 14 meals that will average out to $7/meal. Dh thought it was a good deal considering food prices right now.  I kept 1 package out for meatloaf tomorrow night because we are having rabbit tonight.  I am cooking it in the crock pot with a jar of butter chicken sauce.  

The sun is shining today.  Dh is watching American football pregame show.  Terry Bradshaw is one voice I recognize.  We also brought in a load of wood for the fireplace for later today.  Lots of apple and pear wood from a neighbour.

I make rabbit about once a year or so for my DH but I make it as a ragu with pasta. I’ve never tried it a different way. Do you serve your rabbit with rice?

41 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We made it home on time and without incidents! Long day and headed for bed.

Welcome home!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I’m sorry about your arrangement not arriving in time for the service. Have you thought about sending BFF a potted plant instead?  My DM received several after her DH passed and they were very nice. She gave me several that I enjoyed for years.  It was a lovely reminder of my stepfather. 

When my mother's sister died (decades ago; I was in high school), one of my mother's friends, who didn't know the sister or anyone else in the family, sent flowers to my mother at our home.

• Like 7

On 12/5/2022 at 8:19 AM, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I haven't seen any ninjas around, have put thousands of hours in volunteering over the years, and both of us live in blue jeans.  DH only started wearing them about 10 years ago; he grew up on the farm where they were work clothes, not day wear.   I bought him a pair of soft blue jeans and he grew to like them - now it's all he wears, except when we dress up.

@aliaschiefconfirmed addict here, no doubt about it.  Best wishes for your flight home today.

@Crazy For CatsHappy Birthday to your lovely Ashlee!

Rest In Peace Bob McGrath from Sesame Street; he was well known in our province, as he came faithfully to our Telemiracle fundraising weekends for 40 years.  We felt like he was one of our own and he will be missed.  As I said in my FB post yesterday, the world became a little less kind with his passing.

I thought we might have a nicer day today, since yesterday saw bright sunshine and moderating temperatures, but last night another force blew in with snow and wind, and we're down to -27C again.  Such is life on the "frozen tundra".

While it was nice out yesterday, DH and I went out to buy him some new travel pants. Both of us are getting tired of him almost having a wardrobe malfunction every time  going through security - taking off his belt which causes his pants to slip down, trying to hold onto them while putting both arms up in the air going through the scan machine, then me having to help re-install it after he's cleared.  I went online and saw that a major chain ending with the word Navy had elastic waist chinos which happened to be on sale, so off we went.  He ended up buying 2 pair, 1 in tan and 1 in black because he declared "they're really comfy!"  Elastic waist with a string tie to secure them without the use of a belt - yay!  Speaking of travel, we leave in exactly 4 weeks from today - woo hoo!

I like today's menu suggestion and serve chicken quite often, but I won't have to cook tonight because DH's daughter sent a container of leftovers from last night's dinner.  Ham, scalloped potatoes, carrots and peas will be what's on our kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers for all who have something to celebrate.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

There is company out of Edmonton called Unbelts. They make belts that you do not need to take off going through airport security. Breezed through security just last week with my belt on. I have no affiliation with the company just my personal experience. There may be stores close to you that sell them or you can order online. 

• Like 2