What are some of your favorite NCL Cruise ship shows?

RedwingHockeyFan

I will be on the Encore in January and they will be showing Kinky Boots & Choir of Man.  I have not seen either of these shows and was wondering where they ranked compared to other shows. 

This past August on the Bliss I saw Jersey Boys and it was excellent, one of my favorites. The guy who played Frankie Valli was fantastic.  Back when the Epic was brand new, I saw the Blue Man Group and that was my all-time favorite.

I liked Blue Man Group and Jersey Boys as well.   I liked Six last year on the Breakaway and Million Dollar Quartet, whenever it was I saw that.   Kinky Boots was entertaining.   Haven't seen Choir of Man, but heard great things.  Rock of Ages was entertaining too.  

Have not seen Kinky Boots.  I hear it's about Cindy Lauper.  Nothing against her, so not a fan.

Choir of Man is excellent.

Have seen...

-Blue Man Group

-Rock of Ages

-Million Dollar Quartet

-Choir of Man

-Jersey Boys

Saw the Beatles review at the Cavern Club and the Rumours show (same group does a 70s, 80s, and "prom" review show) at Syd Norman's

All were Broadway/Vegas Caliber shows.

One thing NCL does well, is entertainment.  Their big theater shows are great.  Their smaller "club" shows are just as good, if not better (although held in too small of a venue).

NCL has the best entertainment at sea....bar none!

• Like 3

My favourites that I've seen so far...

1. SIX (Bliss) - amazing, loved it, fun AND educational; enjoyed it so much I tried to get tickets to the Broadway version but $$$

2. Choir of Man (Encore) - not Broadway-quality and not much of a storyline, but a really good time; energetic and fun

3. Kinky Boots (Encore) - great cast, good songs, it helped to have watched the movie version beforehand to know the plot (based on a 'true' story of a British shoe factory owner who teams up with a drag queen to save his failing business); note: it's not about Cyndi Lauper as suggested above, but she did write the original music and lyrics, winning Tony Awards for Best Musical and Best Score

4. Priscilla Queen of the Desert (Epic) - great cast, bright and fun, amazing costuming; I appreciated that they didn't try to water down the adult themes; but the stage version just isn't as good as the movie version IMO

Jersey Boys was cancelled last minute (literally 20 minutes before we headed to the theatre) on our first post-restart cruise, so I haven't seen it yet but it's not a must-see for me on sea or land.

Is Rock of Ages still playing on any Norwegian ship? I've seen it many MANY times on land (Broadway, Vegas, touring productions) and would love to see it again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Have not seen Kinky Boots.  I hear it's about Cindy Lauper.  Nothing against her, so not a fan.

😂...the music was written by Cyndi Lauper...its not about her...its based on an oldish British Movie which is in turn based on a true story...

Choir of man is excellent and so is Kinky Boots plus of course Jersey Boys and Six. The Beatles shows are also excellent.

6 hours ago, Notts1964 said:

My favourite up to now is “Priscilla Queen of the Desert” on the Epic last year. It was so well done. We’re due to see “Six” on our next cruise which I’m looking forward to.

The only NCL theater show we walked out of was this one...so funny how tastes in entertainment vary...for me, the show as too long.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The only NCL theater show we walked out of was this one...so funny how tastes in entertainment vary...for me, the show as too long.

I think we walked out of it twice (two different cruises).  We gave it a second chance because we had somebody traveling with us who had not seen it.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Not at all.  It's about saving a dying shoe business by providing woman's boots for use by men in drag.  

My favorite was Jersey Boys.  Close second was Choir of Men.  Someone above said it wasn't Broadway quality, I disagree.  

I strongly urge you to see both shows (Choir of Men and Kinky Boots), early in the week because you may want to see them again.   get to Choir early and you can go up on stage and have a beer with the cast. 

Entertainment is super important to us, and one of the reasons we continue to go back to NCL every time.  Loved Priscilla, Choir of Man, Million Dollar Quartet, liked Rock of Ages, did not care for After Midnight (walked out twice). The dance shows are okay, and for me about 1/3 too long.  Hands down Syd Normans made our last cruise great and is a must do.  Went every night but one.  When booking our next cruise, we only looked at ships with Syds.

• Like 1

Priscilla is the Best for me so far 😃

Choir of Man is outstanding 👍

SIX was incredible, even though it was not my type of show 🤗

Looking forward to seeing Kinky Boots on a future Alaskan Cruise. 👢 

I have yet to see a bad NCL stage show 

We love all the NCL shows.  Have never seen one we didn't like.  HOWEVER, the all-time BEST show, as far as we were concerned was a Cruise Director led show on almost all the ships we were on (a long time ago), was Fountains.  Every ship had the same theme, but was different according to how that ship's CD wanted to do it.  Ten or more ship's staff (usually very recognisable ones) came on stage wearing bedsheets in different styles of togas, with bare feet, each carrying a silver carafe that the waiters used to deliver water in the dining rooms.  To an Enya tune, they stood in a line and well...  check out these you tube videos for an example.  We laughed so hard for the whole show.  even though I probably saw it 10 times on different ships, it never got old and just thinking about it now makes me laugh. It started off slow and calm, but you never knew what to expect!  And watching the crew members trying so hard not to laugh... oh my.

Nowadays, they could never do anything like that for many reasons, but boy, was I glad to see the ones I did.

• Like 1

I last cruised on ncl about 14 years ago and my favorite show was the Second City sketch and improv show. Alas I don't think Second City still has a presence on ncl. I recognize it's not for everyone but sketch comedy is one of my favorite forms of entertainment. 

Edited by zzdoug