Ginger for sea sickness

klb1978

My husband struggles a bit with sea sickness when on cruises.  He typically takes Dramamine or Bonnie but ugh it makes him so drowsy.  I ordered him non drowsy Dramamine which is just ginger.  Has anyone tried this and had luck?

12 minutes ago, klb1978 said:

My husband struggles a bit with sea sickness when on cruises.  He typically takes Dramamine or Bonnie but ugh it makes him so drowsy.  I ordered him non drowsy Dramamine which is just ginger.  Has anyone tried this and had luck?

Many people here swear by ginger, but for more severe cases of motion sickness due to middle ear/vestibular problems, it just won't cut it.  I use a prescription scoplamine patch for air and sea travel and it is extremely effective, although not everyone tolerates it.  

11 minutes ago, klb1978 said:

DW uses ginger rather than Dramamine and she swears by it. Our cruise med kit has both ginger tablets and ginger gum in it. She discovered ginger on a cruise several years ago when she got a bit queasy and all I could find to help was warm ginger ale from the WJ (recommended to me by one of the WJ staff) and some soda crackers.

Just now, teddie said:

I use a prescription scoplamine patch for air and sea travel and it is extremely effective, although not everyone tolerates it.  

The biggest issue DW had with tolerating the patch is that it is dosed for an adult 165-180lb male, and she's a ~100lb female.

I have mentioned this before on other threads.  We met up with this Scottish couple a number of years ago on a TA.  When we mentioned one of our friends was experiencing a bout of sea sickness he told us of this remedy.  Now this has worked for her and a couple of others.  You mix one part of brandy and one part port wine.  Yes, it doesn't sound like something you want to be drinking while feeling ill, but it works.  Hope this helps. 

I have tried everything on cruises related to motion sickness. If your husband doesn't like the drowsy feeling of Meclizine, try Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). It doesn't make me as tired, and the effect doesn't last as long. I usually only take it when I start to notice I'm starting to feel off. 

Ultimately, the best remedy for motion sickness is to get outside or to somewhere where you can see the horizon. Indoors, your eyes are telling your brain that you are stable, but your inner ears are screaming at your brain to stop the rocking.

Your brain misinterprets this as you are being poisoned, and tells your stomach to get rid of whatever is poisoning you. That's why ginger works - it calms the stomach.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

Absolutely yes on the horizon part. I can get queasy in cars if I'm reading a book or looking down for long periods of time. Looking up at the horizon and taking a few deep breaths always helps. Ginger products, green apples and fresh limes can help settle your stomach naturally

I do not normally suffer from motion sickness but had issues in open water on a small vessel (45').  So this year I took the Dramamine Ginger and it worked perfectly for me.  I had no issues and we were in very rough waters- over 6 foot waves in a small boat is very noticeable!

4 hours ago, Magicat said:

I have mentioned this before on other threads.  We met up with this Scottish couple a number of years ago on a TA.  When we mentioned one of our friends was experiencing a bout of sea sickness he told us of this remedy.  Now this has worked for her and a couple of others.  You mix one part of brandy and one part port wine.  Yes, it doesn't sound like something you want to be drinking while feeling ill, but it works.  Hope this helps. 

LOL--I'd barf, or maybe just be drunk as I'd need to drink it all day long, but glad it works for some!

Teddie

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Mythbusters by tested seasick remedies on their TV show several years ago by spinning people in a motorized office chair and timed them until they hurled.  Each remedy was tested.  Ginger capsules won, hands down.

It may help with the immediate sick stomach, but wouldn't prevent me from getting seasick. Appreciate the ideas, but no..

Teddie

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

And against the recommendations of any competent physician as it allows the scopolamine to leak out.

Nope.  The patch has layers that deliver the med in increments over a 3 day period.  I wouldn't.

Teddie