Question about the Elite 10% discount on shore excursions

caribill

Shore excursions booked by Elite status members pre-cruise are purchased at full price with the 10% discount being given as refundable OBC once on the cruise.

Certainly that is the way it should work if you paid with a Credit Card or Gift card or refundable OBC pre-cruise.

What happens if you booked an excursion with part of the cost coming from non-refundable OBC and the rest from your credit card, gift card,etc? Does part of the rebate come back as refundable OBC and part as non-refundable OBC?

Or if the excursion booked pre-cruise was paid totally with non-refundable OBC, does the discount come back as non-refundable OBC or refundable OBC?

I paid partly with NROBC that was a booking promotion, part with CC. Today (2nd day of cruise) the 10% discount off of the FULL purchase price, was added as OBC to my shipboard account. In essence the pre-cruise OBC application as payment does not appear to affect the discount. 

No notation on folio if the discount OBC is refundable or non-refundable. That said I will use slightly more than the $53 in discount OBC amount for incidental purchases in the next few days so not worried either way. We’re I to have more and not use it all I might enquirer at guest services. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I happened to pass guest services today and there was no line (how often does THAT happen?!!!), so I asked about the discount OBC. Take it for what it is worth, but the agent said since it is a discount off the purchase price (rebate) it is refundable regardless of whether the excursion was paid with a CC or some sort of OBC. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bjkTX said:

I second what was already said.  We booked an excursion ahead of time using OBC and the 10% refund showed up on our account when we got on board.

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I happened to pass guest services today and there was no line (how often does THAT happen?!!!), so I asked about the discount OBC. Take it for what it is worth, but the agent said since it is a discount off the purchase price (rebate) it is refundable regardless of whether the excursion was paid with a CC or some sort of OBC. 

I agree.

But my question is will 100% of the refund be refundable OBC if non-refundable OBC was used it pay for part or all of the excursion.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

I agree.

But my question is will 100% of the refund be refundable OBC if non-refundable OBC was used it pay for part or all of the excursion.

she assured me that the 10% discount OBC is fully refundable regardless of what form of payment was originally used. So refundable or non-refundable will not make any difference. 

should the excursion cancel then any non-refundable OBC used as payment will be added back to your shipboard account for it original amount and terms. The discount OBC will then be removed. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

We are elite status and and have been for a number of years and book almost all our excursions pre cruise but have never had the 10% loyalty discount automatically applied to our onboard account as OBC. We did not question it as we did not realise that we were entitled to it. So do you have to to guest relations once onboard to have this added?

27 minutes ago, Kaled13 said:

We are elite status and and have been for a number of years and book almost all our excursions pre cruise but have never had the 10% loyalty discount automatically applied to our onboard account as OBC. We did not question it as we did not realise that we were entitled to it. So do you have to to guest relations once onboard to have this added?

We did the 2023 WC - when we boarded, as others have said, the 10% loyalty discount was on our account automatically from the first day onboard, as refundable OBC.  No contact with guest services was necessary. 

• Like 1

I booked and paid for (with a CC) an excursion when I was Platinum.  The cruise and excursion I'm on is next month.   Since then, I've become Elite.  Should I expect to receive the 10% discount OBC to be applied to my folio when I board?  Or is the alternative to cancel and rebook? 

• Thanks 1

As I said in my post we have NEVER had the 10% excursion credit automatically added as OBC to our onboard account. So it appears that we have been forgotten and will have to check our account when we board our cruise next week. 

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I booked and paid for (with a CC) an excursion when I was Platinum.  The cruise and excursion I'm on is next month.   Since then, I've become Elite.  Should I expect to receive the 10% discount OBC to be applied to my folio when I board?  

yes.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Kaled13 said:

As I said in my post we have NEVER had the 10% excursion credit automatically added as OBC to our onboard account. So it appears that we have been forgotten and will have to check our account when we board our cruise next week. 

I believe the Elite shore excursion discount is a ‘new’ elite perk that was added after the ‘restart’ in  Fall of 2021? So you may not have been forgotten on earlier cruises as it was not a ‘perk’ then.

• Like 1

That would explain it as although we have cruised with other lines since last year next week will be our first cruise back with Princess since the restart, so thanks for the update. 

Edited by Kaled13