Airport transfers

Kruzkrazy

8 hours ago, sable1 said:

Do you by any chance know the transfer price from NYC Manhattan terminal to JFK?

Chances are there isn’t one, as Princess turns around at Red Hook in Brooklyn.  They would be in Manhattan only if QM2 or another Princess ship or MSC is at Red Hook.  EM

I don't know why folks book transfers with Princess or any other cruise line?

We would much rather be on our own schedule rather than waiting for a cruise line bus.

In addition it is often more cost effective to either take a taxi with a set price or book other transportation on our own

If the airport is far from the port like Heathrow to Southampton we use princess transfers. We checked in with the lady at the airport, walked to the bus, handed off our checked bags and we didn't have to mess with them again till they were in our stateroom. When we fly into Fort Lauderdale and sail out of Fort Lauderdale we take cabs. Fly into Miami and sail out of Fort Lauderdale - Princess transfers. Distance is our determinating factor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

We would much rather be on our own schedule rather than waiting for a cruise line bus.

In addition it is often more cost effective to either take a taxi with a set price or book other transportation on our own

If you book your air and transfers with Princess, from the moment you board the plane, you are in Princess's hands. If the plane is delayed, they'll wait for you. If the bus gets a flat tire/accident, they'll wait for you. On your own in a different country/language/currency, has potential to be penny wise and dollar foolish. Next cruise is mother-daughter, so we feel safer in a group in a foreign country.

It's a game to see which of us spots the Princess sign first at the luggage area. To our way of thinking, it's not about being on our own schedule, also about meeting new people we'll cruise with and all being a part of the fun. A few reasons, as you are curious, but to each their own.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

For me it is a guaranteed way to get to the ship on those few times when I fly on the day my cruise departs.  Nothing more.  In LA an extra few dollars (under $30) is worth having no stress.  When added to Princess Air, if my 1 hour flight is cancelled there are others that would get me to LA by 2pm.  If I have flight and transfer I still get on the ship.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

In addition to what @mtnesterzand @Arizona Wildcatsaid, I as a solo traveler have an extra reason to consider transfers - they only charge for one seat if I only need one seat, versus a rideshare or taxi.

For example, my next cruise on Princess is out of Galveston and they're offering shuttles out of IAH (i.e. the one that's farther away from the port) for $29 PP.  The best I could find a private shuttle for is $35.   The rideshares and taxis are double that or more. I'm willing to wait a bit to save $30+, so for me in this situation, a shuttle makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

We almost *always* book Princess transfers.  Even more so now that we have decided to follow the very sage advice to go in a day (or two) early given the extreme unknowns with today's air "adventures".  Going early (usually booked through Princess) automatically gives us the transfers...both ways.  We got burned early on in 2022 when our starting flight was missed due to "an inoperative de-icing truck".  That one caused us to miss a very looked-forward to transatlantic.

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

we never booked transfers previously as we usually have to arrive a day early or we are staying longer. But we booked a transfer last month as we flew into Vancouver the morning of our cruise and it was great. It’s about a 30 minute drive, so there is that, plus they took our bags and they magically arrived in our rooms later on. We got right on the bus and headed to the port. Yes we could have taken the train, but then we are hauling bags, and it actually turned out for the best as the handle on my DM’s suitcase broke. 

I have also booked transfer in LA after our Panama Canal cruise, as we are both going to want to get home and we were just in LA. And trying to catch a taxi or Uber or Lyft at the San Pedro port was a nightmare. Took forever, had one guy trying to get me to pay cash, instead of through Uber… no thanks. I’ll just get on the bus and enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1

LAX is a nightmare. We can wait a few minutes for the Princess bus. I would prefer to fly into Long Beach, where I would take a cab, but I couldn’t get decent flights.

I had a friend that recently tried to use Uber at LAX. The guy was late, said he couldn’t take the luggage and to call someone else. I don’t need those kind of problems.

On 12/11/2022 at 6:58 AM, riffatsea said:

Not true. The Princess transfer is FAR less expensive for Southampton to LHR!