When is Best or Worst time to cruise? When will you NEVER cruise?

EngIceDave

15 hours ago, crooooze said:

We book based on prices.
It’s probably no coincidence that lowest prices are during lowest demand times and when school is in session.  Checks most of the boxes… Less money. Less kids. Less crowds. Less heat.

Exactly

• Like 1

Only summer is a bad time (IMO) as it's too hot/humid for the cruises I'd be likely to take; every other time is A-OK in my book, including spring break (love cruising then) and other family heavy times. My kids have a great time on cruises where there are more kids and when they have a great time, we have a great time. They are on vacation too and if it's "boring" then they are mopey and it's a bummer. I always see a lot of hate for kids and all these stories of woe about kids on cruises but my experience has been that it's generally ill-behaved adults that cause problems. I'd take loads of kids over loads of ghetto adults all day lol.    

• Like 4

When I went on a Christmas cruise in December 2019, I said that I would absolutely NEVER do another Christmas cruise. I went back on my word and cruised right before Christmas last year and it was fun...BUT the boat was still sailing at partial capacity. 

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Only summer is a bad time (IMO) as it's too hot/humid for the cruises I'd be likely to take; every other time is A-OK in my book, including spring break (love cruising then) and other family heavy times. My kids have a great time on cruises where there are more kids and when they have a great time, we have a great time. They are on vacation too and if it's "boring" then they are mopey and it's a bummer. I always see a lot of hate for kids and all these stories of woe about kids on cruises but my experience has been that it's generally ill-behaved adults that cause problems. I'd take loads of kids over loads of ghetto adults all day lol.    

100 percent agree!

• Like 3

We are new empty-nesters and it suddenly dawned on us that we no longer have to book cruises during school breaks. Eureka! 

I had no idea how much less cruise fares can be during the off-season times. January and October - early November might become our favorite months. 

• Like 1

When the kids are out of school is just a bad time to cruise. The kids do not bother me, but the prices do. Carnival knows when people start breaks and the prices hike accordingly. I never cruise in the summer for two reasons, price and heat. The Caribbean is perfect in January and February. I would still make an exception for summer if the price was right though. We are on the Pride in 11 days. Unfortunately, both a sold-out ship and a pricey cruise due to the date, but every once in a while, we make an exception due to schedule. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We are new empty-nesters and it suddenly dawned on us that we no longer have to book cruises during school breaks. Eureka! 

I had no idea how much less cruise fares can be during the off-season times. January and October - early November might become our favorite months. 

I check cruise prices every day and the deals I see in January and February for mid-week last minute cruises are insane. Just have to be able to drop everything and cruise day after tomorrow and be close enough to port to do it. 

• Like 3

I've cruised "Spring Break" in the first week of March, end of the school year at the end of May, in Summer at the beginning of August, and twice around Christmas both mid and late-December. Can't say there's a time I wouldn't cruise just based on the calendar days. I didn't notice any significant differences/drawbacks to those times of year. I plan more around the itinerary I'm looking at the what weather might be like.

• Like 1

While my DDs were growing up, I booked cruises over the Thanksgiving break so we could do a longer cruise and they would miss fewer days of school.  Seven Thanksgiving cruises later, I still enjoy it and I don't have to cook turkey dinner!  Having said that, the ocean can be a bit more rocky than other times of the year.

Bottom line, if Carnival throws a good deal my way, I don't care what time of year it is and I'm trying to book it.  I know, there's a 12 step program for me😉

Only time we will not cruise currently is August but that is due to work.

We love to sail over NYE, this year will be our third time and we are already booked for next year.  Most people opt out because of the price but if you book early, it isn't as bad as you might think.  

My first choice is Jan thru early March to the Caribbean. I live in the cold and don’t like it super hot. I have sailed a few times in Oct/Nov but the islands are often a bit too hot for me in October. We sailed over Halloween this year and that was really fun. Other holidays are too expensive.

I would sail in summer to Alaska. 

It entirely depends on what the itinerary is and what the weather is likely to be. I refuse to go anywhere in the Caribbean in the summer (end of May - September and sometimes October) because the heat/humidity is absolutely unbearable for me. Unless it's a special itinerary, or I can get a really fantastic deal, I also avoid cruising during typical spring break months (March-April) and major holidays. January and the first part of February are my favorite times to cruise the Caribbean, though the weather can sometimes be on the iffy side.

During the times I avoid cruising, I will do other kinds of vacations, depending on where I want to go and what I want to see/do.

The comments above are also the same for Florida Parks and Attractions. We cruise from late January to the first week in March.  Then late April until a week before Memorial Day.  Then it’s late September to mid-November   If we want to go during the holidays to see the ships Christmas decorations it is the last week in November to mid December.

We did our times taking family vacations during Spring Break, summer and Christmas / NYE.  Great times but don’t want to cruise those periods again!

On 12/10/2022 at 7:18 PM, EngIceDave said:

With Carnival, which seems to have more kids and younger adults....

Best time to cruise? Right after holidays? Right before holidays?

Sept-Nov when kids are in skool? 

Spring the worst? Holidays the worst?

When will you never go?

We cruised during Thanksgiving once and swore never again, but only because we missed being at home with the family. Other than that we are fairly flexible.