On Azura at the moment

Technoman2

14 hours ago, sandancer said:

Hi Technoman, if you can spare a little Wi-Fi would you check out a post on the P&O forum regarding first time cruisers with P&O. Very damning review of Azura and as you are onboard right now it would be great to know your response to the comments made regarding the condition of the ship. Thanks

I think grapau 27 pics and general comments sum things up. The condition of ship is good and clean. The selection of food in main restaurants and buffet are good. We were also on the ship in august around croatia which was also fine. They have had some supply problems and run out of Peroni. Speckled hen, guinness but hope to get this sorted when in tenerife on friday. 

• Like 3

Thanks. That is very reassuring. I think comparing cruise lines is like the old saying about comparing apples and oranges. If you do your research (especially here on CC) you know what to expect. We know all about Royal and Celebrity having taken over 25 cruises on each line. We are on Arvia in March and although in general we prefer medium sized ships we are going with the intention of having a great time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Thanks. That is very reassuring. I think comparing cruise lines is like the old saying about comparing apples and oranges. If you do your research (especially here on CC) you know what to expect. We know all about Royal and Celebrity having taken over 25 cruises on each line. We are on Arvia in March and although in general we prefer medium sized ships we are going with the intention of having a great time. 

In that case you can let me know what Arvia is like as we are on her 30th april i think around med. The mrs has developed flu like symptoms so bought covid test kit in fueurtventura just in case cost 3 euro. Tested negative. 

• Like 3

That’s good.  Big relief for you. I’ll certainly comment on Arvia but we don’t get off until 2nd April. We don’t usually go for the bigger ships, the Celebrity Solstice class is about right for us. However, we were on Enchanted Princess in November which is a biggie and really enjoyed it. 

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

I tend to agree. We have cruised mainly with P+O but have used other lines when it suited us. Every time, there have been things we have liked more and some we have liked less about the ship and the line. 

On 12/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, Technoman2 said:

I think grapau 27 pics and general comments sum things up. The condition of ship is good and clean. The selection of food in main restaurants and buffet are good. We were also on the ship in august around croatia which was also fine. They have had some supply problems and run out of Peroni. Speckled hen, guinness but hope to get this sorted when in tenerife on friday. 

For those boarding today, good news they have found some beer!340BB1B2-2B62-47B1-A929-F854A76EBC8E.thumb.jpeg.69bd4403aa901387bdccba4b3108fd1b.jpeg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Wonky said:

For those boarding today, good news they have found some beer!340BB1B2-2B62-47B1-A929-F854A76EBC8E.thumb.jpeg.69bd4403aa901387bdccba4b3108fd1b.jpeg

Yep i saw those kegs as a i walked into the centre this morning. Hope they are not the empty ones. In fuertventura yesterday went for a walk to the shops. With hindsight dont take the uphill road or path next to large souvenir shop walk another 400yds along coast path to the beach then either go on beach or cross the road as you approach the beach and head back to the shops till you get to the church then next road back down hill towards the ship. Less steep route for elderly or wheelchairs or buggies. 

• Like 1

In tenerife today, we did northern panoramic tour. 4.5 hours. It was ok but the route is not pleasant on a mini coach and stop for wine and cheese was dire. Cheap red plonk and one small piece of cheese on a slice of baguette. Guide was good and so was driver. Should have allowed more beach time at last stop. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

In tenerife today, we did northern panoramic tour. 4.5 hours. It was ok but the route is not pleasant on a mini coach and stop for wine and cheese was dire. Cheap red plonk and one small piece of cheese on a slice of baguette. Guide was good and so was driver. Should have allowed more beach time at last stop. 

Sounds utterly dire, although I expect they charged the usual ‘arm and a leg’ for it.

At sea yesterday back upto madeira weather was fabulous 24c cruising at 11 knots. Had to get my wife to see doctor as chest worsened. They were amazing. Came upto room as a matter of course to do covid test before they would let her go to surgery on deck 4. Prescribed and supplied medication. Whole process took 2 hours but felt service was good. Price list attached. Our on board account charged £68. Just not onboard credit cannot be used. 

IMG_20221218_103337.jpg

• Like 4

The situation with the beer supply improved when we were in tenerife. Now the shortage is Red Wine. In the main dining room you used to have a choice of around 12 red wines to choose from 175ml to 250 ml glasses. Currently the choice is one!!! For 175ml which is Merlot. On the back of the Horizon leaflet it states a global shortage. Please work with us. Well how about if we buy it off the ship and bring on board and they wont charge corkage would that help? Blimey im beginning to think ive become a real moaner lol. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

The situation with the beer supply improved when we were in tenerife. Now the shortage is Red Wine. In the main dining room you used to have a choice of around 12 red wines to choose from 175ml to 250 ml glasses. Currently the choice is one!!! For 175ml which is Merlot. On the back of the Horizon leaflet it states a global shortage. Please work with us. Well how about if we buy it off the ship and bring on board and they wont charge corkage would that help? Blimey im beginning to think ive become a real moaner lol. 

Now a shortage of red wine is indeed serious. I can understand some being out of stock but to only have a choice of one?? I assume there is less of a global shortage if you buy a whole bottle?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technoman2 said:

Sounds an ideal resolution to me. I’ve no idea how much a 175ml red wine cost on board but I wouldn’t mind betting you could find a bottle in port for not much more. 

Edited by sandancer

1 hour ago, Technoman2 said:

On the back of the Horizon leaflet it states a global shortage.

Obviously no one has told Tesco and Sainsbury,  who are offering 25% off if you buy 6 bottles or more !

The P&O supply chain team obviously work in some sort of parallel universe.

Global shortage my backside !

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

12 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Sounds an ideal resolution to me. I’ve no idea how much a 175ml red wine cost on board but I wouldn’t mind betting you could find a bottle in port for not much more. 

At around £6 a glass, or €7, you would find a very good red wine ashore. We were paying less than €4 for Faustino VII in Lanzarote last week.

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Now a shortage of red wine is indeed serious. I can understand some being out of stock but to only have a choice of one?? I assume there is less of a global shortage if you buy a whole bottle?

We arrive on the Friday flight in February, si will probably pop into a shop in Tenerife, just to help out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Obviously no one has told Tesco and Sainsbury,  who are offering 25% off if you buy 6 bottles or more !

The P&O supply chain team obviously work in some sort of parallel universe.

Global shortage my backside !

It has been widely reported of a global wine shortage, try Google.