$4.50 + tip bottle of water

We recently cruised on the Nieuw Statendam in November and had the Have it All package.  Water bottles that have a screw on lid are not included in the package.  The only option if you want to take a water bottle ashore and you haven't brought your own container is the $4.50 + tip metal screw top lid.  I know HAL doesn't want plastic on the ship but the price seems excessive.  I'm pretty sure that when we cruised Alaska last year when ships started sailing again that the metal water bottles were included in the drink package.  I know it not a big thing but I find it annoying and disappointing.

30 minutes ago, woodinville cruisers said:

We recently cruised on the Nieuw Statendam in November and had the Have it All package.  Water bottles that have a screw on lid are not included in the package.  The only option if you want to take a water bottle ashore and you haven't brought your own container is the $4.50 + tip metal screw top lid.  I know HAL doesn't want plastic on the ship but the price seems excessive.  I'm pretty sure that when we cruised Alaska last year when ships started sailing again that the metal water bottles were included in the drink package.  I know it not a big thing but I find it annoying and disappointing.

Yeah that canned water sucks.  Open it up and you are committed.  They do allow crew on with plastic bottles.  I’ve seen a picture on here of that.  It’s a money grab for sure that’s not limited to cruising.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

There is water offered as you leave the ship that is part of the package.  I think it is a flip top can.  I get it when leaving for the day.  

The can is available, no problem. Speaking for myself I don't want to drink the whole can all at once.  There is no reason hal shouldn't include the screw top in the drink package other than greed.

• Like 2

I remember the aluminum ‘bottles” as being included on HIA but in November the HIA water was a paper carton.  Neither is convenient on an excursion or pleasant to drink from so I bring a firm plastic bottle and refill it onboard.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When traveling by air, we always take a couple of empty plastic bottles and fill them with water after passing through security. Empty Pure Leaf Iced Tea bottles work great because they are quite sturdy and survive top rack dishwashing. 

Our air travel has been restricted to getting to HAL cruises lately and we bring these plastic bottles onboard in our carry on luggage. We have never (yet) had a problem because of them. We fill them with the dreaded bathroom tap water and keep them in the cabin's mini fridge. Then toss them in our totes when we head out on excursions. 

One of these days I may spring for a couple of metal or Nalgene bottles for our travels.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

When traveling by air, we always take a couple of empty plastic bottles and fill them with water after passing through security. Empty Pure Leaf Iced Tea bottles work great because they are quite sturdy and survive top rack dishwashing. 

Our air travel has been restricted to getting to HAL cruises lately and we bring these plastic bottles onboard in our carry on luggage. We have never (yet) had a problem because of them. We fill them with the dreaded bathroom tap water and keep them in the cabin's mini fridge. Then toss them in our totes when we head out on excursions. 

One of these days I may spring for a couple of metal or Nalgene bottles for our travels.

I like the use what you have tea bottles recycled. Now, that's resourceful. Why buy water bottles at target when you already have tea bottles. Excellent. Winner winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks might want to simply buy water ashore :).  We can usually spot cruisers at our winter home (Puerto Vallarta) because they are usually the folks carrying water.  Consider that in that town you can buy bottled (plastic) water just about anywhere and it can be as inexpensive as 50 cents for a cold bottle.   It is the same all over the world although the price might be about $1.  

On a ship, if we want water, we simply get it out of the tap in our cabin or at the Lido.

Hank

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Folks might want to simply buy water ashore :).  We can usually spot cruisers at our winter home (Puerto Vallarta) because they are usually the folks carrying water.  Consider that in that town you can buy bottled (plastic) water just about anywhere and it can be as inexpensive as 50 cents for a cold bottle.   It is the same all over the world although the price might be about $1.  

On a ship, if we want water, we simply get it out of the tap in our cabin or at the Lido.

Hank

I am a fan of sports bottles as I do a lot of hikes but if it is a town/city day I definitely want to sample the local mineral and spring waters. I also enjoy sampling local teas and coffees. It is truly the most basic of local cuisine.  

2 minutes ago, jenp123 said:

Don't try and bring on a single plastic bottle to use while on board.  I had 1 sport cap evian bottle and they took it at security. 

What if you were to pack an empty bottle in your luggage? Any chance that you would be called down to the naughty room if no liquid were detected?

25 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

What if you were to pack an empty bottle in your luggage? Any chance that you would be called down to the naughty room if no liquid were detected?

I brought a danzante water bottle on the ship with me half full.  I took it off and on the ship with me at all the ports I got off at.  No one blinked an eye. Would this happen on every ship?  Who knows?  I took it with me when I left the ship for good and chucked it at the airport.  I was totally prepared to lose it.  I brought it in a bag I was carrying.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We can usually spot cruisers at our winter home (Puerto Vallarta) because they are usually the folks carrying water.

That's so funny! Where we live, in the summer, we can tell the tourists by who is not carrying water (or wearing a hat). But we're a rural, outdoorsy place. We never leave home without our water bottles whether we're hiking, boating or out on an ATV.

43 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

We also bring water to airport, drink it, go through security and refill. The same bottle we use to refill in Lido. I have a problem of leaving my good hard plastic bottle places so this worked better. We bought larger water bottles in port and recycled the smaller ones when needed. Never had a problem in the 4+ years HAL became environmentally greedy. 

1 hour ago, jenp123 said:

Don't try and bring on a single plastic bottle to use while on board.  I had 1 sport cap evian bottle and they took it at security. (I also have a metal one but like to keep 1 in the fridge for colder water in the morning)  

I bring an empty single plastic water bottle in my checked luggage.  I refill it onboard and carry it for off the ship activities.  Did the ship security take your Evian bottle or airline security?  If you emptied it you should have been able to keep it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

That's so funny! Where we live, in the summer, we can tell the tourists by who is not carrying water (or wearing a hat). But we're a rural, outdoorsy place. We never leave home without our water bottles whether we're hiking, boating or out on an ATV.

ROFL.  I get that those of us who go out hiking, on boats, etc. should always have some liquid.  But when folks are walking off a cruise ship into an urban center where there are convenience stores, bars, restaurants etc. every few feet .  Most cruise ports (especially in the Caribbean/Mexico) have plenty of places where one can eat/drink.  Going off topic, but I still have a laugh how folks cruise to a Mexican 

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL.  I get that those of us who go out hiking, on boats, etc. should always have some liquid.  But when folks are walking off a cruise ship into an urban center where there are convenience stores, bars, restaurants etc. every few feet .  Most cruise ports (especially in the Caribbean/Mexico) have plenty of places where one can eat/drink.  Going off topic, but I still have a laugh how folks cruise to a Mexican 

You live there part time.  I have no idea dea if water is readily available. I always take a bottle of water with me when I get off the ship because I’m a water drinker.  I’m not one of thee people that drink a teaspoon of water a day then wonder why they are dehydrated.

42 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You live there part time.  I have no idea dea if water is readily available. I always take a bottle of water with me when I get off the ship because I’m a water drinker.  I’m not one of thee people that drink a teaspoon of water a day then wonder why they are dehydrated.

Hmmm.  As a CCL Stockholder I salute the enthusiasm of those who pay nearly $5 for bottled water :).  Please buy more as CCL needs all the financial help they can get.  

Hank

• Like 4
  • Haha 2