Haven Restaurant Service Charges? Are these new?

Labracadabra

That invoice has weird charges like $30.48?

As you say, you ordered a bottle of wine, but that's only one time, correct?

There's some sort of glitch in their system that caused this.  Since you were in the Haven, have you tried calling the Haven Concierge Land Line?  Not sure if they can help, but worth a shot.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I always check my bill with the Concierge at least 2X during the cruise, and definitely the day before disembarkation.

Edited by graphicguy

39 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Since you were in the Haven, have you tried calling the Haven Concierge Land Line?  Not sure if they can help, but worth a shot.

The OP said called the shoreside concierge line and were told to fill out a Guest Relations form, which they did. Now they're waiting for a response.

• Like 1

I wonder if someone else in Haven on that cruise had non Haven guests with them dining at the Haven restaurant? Perhaps the Concierge allowed someone to have repeatedly (the same) non Haven  guests eating with the Haven guests daily. Perhaps an extended family or so. 

And perhaps either because of a computer glitch or some other reason NCL got the suite number wrong for those Haven guests who had non Haven guests repeatedly with them? So lets say suite 17102 had non Haven guests daily eating with them at the Haven restaurant. They signed after each meal at Haven restaurant because they had guests. But for whatever reason that cost wasn’t marked for suite 17102, it was marked for suite 17112. 

I also know they are supposed to always ask your card but I have experienced on several occasions  them just simply asking for a suite number. Not at bigger restaurants but in Haven once they get to know your face. I am not saying the person would have said a wrong cabin number intentionally but things happen. I have said multiple times my cabin number wrong on a cruise ship because I have just mixed things up 😅 

So there might now be someone who was on that cruise and who is now an extremely happy person because NCL let their non Haven guests dine with them ”for free” as those costs never ended on their folio even though they signed every day. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

59 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

That may be the case, but it really does look like the restaurant thought they had non-Haven guests with them, because that’s how it’s appeared on our bill in the past when we dined with non-Haven guests.

It doesn't matter what it looks like, they are erroneous charges regardless . The OP has confirmed that they didn't have any guests dining in the Haven, nor did they sign for any charges in the Haven.

Once in a while I've had erroneous charges added to my account that were apparently intended to be applied to a different cabin's account. I never knew how that happened, but it's something that's easy to resolve while you're on board and far more difficult to resolve once you've disembarked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I wonder if someone else in Haven on that cruise had non Haven guests with them dining at the Haven restaurant? Perhaps the Concierge allowed someone to have repeatedly (the same) non Haven  guests eating with the Haven guests daily. Perhaps an extended family or so. 

And perhaps either because of a computer glitch or some other reason NCL got the suite number wrong for those Haven guests who had non Haven guests repeatedly with them? So lets say suite 17102 had non Haven guests daily eating with them at the Haven restaurant. They signed after each meal at Haven restaurant because they had guests. But for whatever reason that cost wasn’t marked for suite 17102, it was marked for suite 17112. 

I also know they are supposed to always ask your card but I have experienced on several occasions  them just simply asking for a suite number. Not at bigger restaurants but in Haven once they get to know your face. I am not saying the person would have said a wrong cabin number intentionally but things happen. I have said multiple times my cabin number wrong on a cruise ship because I have just mixed things up 😅 

So there might now be someone who was on that cruise and who is now an extremely happy person because NCL let their non Haven guests dine with them ”for free” as those costs never ended on their folio even though they signed every day. 

Your theory about how this could have happened is quite plausible. I've had the occasional erroneous charge appear on my account and I always suspected it may have happened that way.

Perhaps this really is an over-redacted or insufficient information post. 

If the drink package was refused, bottles of wine, cocktails, bottled water, coffees, and beer could achieve these costs. 

With the entire itemized section removed, there are no clues for seasoned travelers to provide any assistance. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I know the invoice was redacted for privacy. Assuming only names were redacted and no other clues were provided, these concerns are easier to resolve with a more detailed representation of the charges. 

24 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

The $8.40 charges would be the exact amount of a $7 item + 20%. 

Maybe a bottled water?

22 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

A $31 item with a 20% would come out exactly to $38.20. 

18 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Perhaps this really is an over-redacted or insufficient information post. 

If the drink package was refused, bottles of wine, cocktails, bottled water, coffees, and beer could achieve these costs. 

With the entire itemized section removed, there are no clues for seasoned travelers to provide any assistance. 

The OP has already stated that they did not sign for any additional charges. You have to sign a charge slip if you order anything that generates a charge to your account.

Having carefully read the thread and having a lot of experience with how things are done on NCL, IMO the most likely explanation is that charges from another cabin were somehow misapplied to the OP's cabin . It's happened to me a couple of times and while it's not always clear exactly how it happens,  @European_CruiseGirl's hypothesis is a reasonable explanation.

• Like 2

Quite many beers seem to be  $7 + tax at NCL making it $8.40 which was a reoccurring amount in op’s folio which she shared here. 

Does NCL still allow 18-20 year olds to have beer/wine if the parents allow and sign a waiver? If so I am starting to suspect a family with mom and dad in a Haven access suite and two kids aged 18-20 in a non Haven cabin. But as the kids are ”immediate family” for the Haven mom and dad the Concierge has agreed that the kids can eat at Haven restaurant with their parents. The young adults would only get a soda package as part of their free at sea as they are under 21 even though they are pax 1-2 in their cabin. Hence the need to pay for beer at the Haven restaurant. 

And for some reason (computer glitch, wrong suite number marked manually by mistake to the slip by the pax or to computer by the NCL waitstaff) the costs have gone to op’s suite folio, not the mom and dad’s suite. 

Mom and dad would have been in a Haven access suite which is situated outside of Haven proper making it possible for their under 21 year old kids to have an adjoining non Haven cabin.

https://profcruise.com/norwegian-bar-menus-2022/

D34FEB46-09F8-4F4B-8BCD-5BE1C0EEEE1B.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Does NCL still allow 18-20 year olds to have beer/wine if the parents allow and sign a waiver?

Yes:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#alcohol-consumption

"With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form."

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The OP has already stated that they did not sign for any additional charges. You have to sign a charge slip if you order anything that generates a charge to your account.

Having carefully read the thread and having a lot of experience with how things are done on NCL, IMO the most likely explanation is that charges from another cabin were somehow misapplied to the OP's cabin . It's happened to me a couple of times and while it's not always clear exactly how it happens,  @European_CruiseGirl's hypothesis is a reasonable explanation.

Supposed to sign a slip - yes. Does it always happen - no.  I don't get the beverage package so sometimes get a soda from the bar.  I was charged for a soda and a beer (I don't drink beer), never got a slip to sign. Guessing they didn't finalize the transaction so added 2 orders together.  Had to go to Guest Services twice to get the charge for the beer removed.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Supposed to sign a slip - yes. Does it always happen - no.  I don't get the beverage package so sometimes get a soda from the bar.  I was charged for a soda and a beer (I don't drink beer), never got a slip to sign. Guessing they didn't finalize the transaction so added 2 orders together.  Had to go to Guest Services twice to get the charge for the beer removed.

Have had the same happen to me..ordered an unincluded drink.  No receipt offered so nothing to sign.

4 hours ago, bookbabe said:

That may be the case, but it really does look like the restaurant thought they had non-Haven guests with them, because that’s how it’s appeared on our bill in the past when we dined with non-Haven guests.

But did you have to sign a slip at the end of the meal?  OP was given nothing to sign.

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Have had the same happen to me..ordered an unincluded drink.  No receipt offered so nothing to sign.

Really!!  That's not right...they should give you a record of any charges going on your account.  Back in the day before drink packages we always kept our bar slips to compare to our folio...just in case...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I hope this practice is absolute. If it works this way, it seems fair and NCL should be able to validate charges agreed to by guest. 

I assume only guest with card connected to room account can sign slips. 

46 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Really!!  That's not right...they should give you a record of any charges going on your account.  Back in the day before drink packages we always kept our bar slips to compare to our folio...just in case...

Yeah….I usually check my portfolio every night I’m on board.  So, with or without receipts, what I’ve spent is fresh in my memory.

The bartender who did not give me the receipt to sign, didn’t do it on purpose.  He was slammed and trying to take care of a bar full of people (and doing a great job).  I wasn’t hanging at the bar.  I’m sure he would have printed out a new receipt if I had asked.  

Nothing nefarious by the bartender or NCL.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

on my last three cruises we were in suites on Jewel class ships and at every restaurant (even the MDR) we had to provide a room card for them to swipe so there was no manual entry of room numbers. I do agree with the hypothesis that someone got your cabin number mixed up with another and their charges went to your account. Something that could have been taken care of at the time.

32 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

on my last three cruises we were in suites on Jewel class ships and at every restaurant (even the MDR) we had to provide a room card for them to swipe so there was no manual entry of room numbers.

Isn't that always how it is?  I honestly don't remember ever being asked my cabin number.  

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't that always how it is?  I honestly don't remember ever being asked my cabin number.  

Yep - that is normal.  But if you show up with others not in your cabin, I've been asked for a cabin number or card for the others.

• Like 1

I recall signing a slip once when on the Encore for a Diet RedBull in the Observation Lounge (we only had the Premium package so energy drinks were not included).  Next day some $30+ charge showed up on my account.  Turned out the server put some expensive whisky shot on my tab when he input everything.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I recall signing a slip once when on the Encore for a Diet RedBull in the Observation Lounge (we only had the Premium package so energy drinks were not included).  Next day some $30+ charge showed up on my account.  Turned out the server put some expensive whisky shot on my tab when he input everything.  

Yes these things happen. And it also happens that when you get familiar to the waiters in a speciality restaurant that they don’t ask for your card anymore particularly if you go there daily. They just greet you like an old friend and assume that you remember your suite number. Or even that they remember already your suite number. And this is where things can go wrong and mistakes can multiply if the suite number was given wrong in the beginning. Obviously it might also be a computer glitch but it’s safe to assume that either way someone elses charges ended up on op’s folio and someone else signed those slips. 

• Like 1