Differences between QM2 and QV (atmosphere, not physical)

neeuqdrazil

On 12/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, neeuqdrazil said:

I've done 3 TAs on QM2, and adored them, and one Alaska on HAL, which was just OK. I've booked a Panama Canal transit (16 days!) in early 2024 on QV, and I'm curious about the differences in atmosphere between QM2 and QV. 

I tend to spend my days aboard going to Insights lectures and reading or knitting in one of the lounges - my usual haunt on QM2 is the Carinthia Lounge, which I know that QV doesn't have. 

I really appreciate the calm on board QM2 - even when fully booked, she doesn't generally feel crowded (although on the last TA, the Carinthia was packed twice daily for trivia), and you can always find somewhere to sit and relax on your own. 

For those of you who have sailed both, what are the differences you've noticed between the two? 

One has considered this.
It’s the people who make the atmosphere, which does slightly change, depending on the voyage.  For example a QM voyage crossing atmosphere will be different to say a Northern or Western  Europe coast cruise.  The same goes for QV, when comparing Northern Lights with the Mediterranean.

In a nutshell, think it was the presence of more rounded guests and additional Tuxedos on a QM crossing and QV Northern Lights.

Just one’s thoughts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One has considered this.
It’s the people who make the atmosphere, which does slightly change, depending on the voyage.  For example a QM voyage crossing atmosphere will be different to say a Northern or Western  Europe coast cruise.  The same goes for QV, when comparing Northern Lights with the Mediterranean.

In a nutshell, think it was the presence of more rounded guests and additional Tuxedos on a QM crossing and QV Northern Lights.

Just one’s thoughts.

Apart from the faded  elegance [my perception] of QM2 which spoils the atmosphere for me, I agree with you on the different itineraries.

A Med cruise on QV had a  different feel to it compared to  a Northern Europe one although I think most guests were well dressed and rounded, especially after two weeks of beautiful food! 🙂

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just one’s thoughts.

The more rounded guests need cummerbands as well as Tuxedos,  whereas the less rounded Mediterranean cruise guests can get away with swimwear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The more rounded guests need cummerbands as well as Tuxedos,  whereas the less rounded Mediterranean cruise guests can get away with swimwear.

Cummerbunds ... blech 

Waistcoats are the way to go.

Much more flattering (and comfortable) than those silly and annoying strips of cloth.