under 21 drinking question

Wow, this question got a lot of air time. So, sounds like Celebrity doesnt have the same policy as NCL in regards to drinking under 21 with parents consent.  But ill throw another  fun question in, do you think our sons, 19-16yo mini bar will be stocked with liquor and beer?  They have their own room next to ours with only their names on the room.  And if/when they drink it, do you think the room steward will restock it?

13 hours ago, markeb said:

Quick Google search: Georgia, Massachusetts, Nebraska. Plenty of others. Pretty much always allowed for religious observances. Otherwise ordinarily a parent, guardian, or maybe a grandparent in a private home. 

Not your kid’s fifty best friends. 

Edit: Virginia apparently allows you to provide it in your home if THEIR parent is with them. Taxed by VABC, of course!

Definitely was not aware of this. 

12 hours ago, D C said:

11 states permit it in restaurants as long as a parent is present.  Connecticut, Montana, and Mississippi are 3 of them.  

Thanks for educating me.  I guess since our kids are in their 40's I have not paid much attention to how prevalent this is across the states.  

I understand the rule, but three of our grandchildren are 19and 20.  They are of legal drinking age in their home countries.  I guess they won’t be joining us on a cruise for the next couple of years.  BTW they are responsible kids, but enjoy a beer by the pool and a glass of wine with dinner.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Old enough to fight and die in wars but not old enough to drink.

Treating young men as children.

Can't rent a car, be president, join AARP, or get free coffee at McDonald's either. 

Age limits are what they are and may or may not be related to other ones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Her son wasn’t old enough to drink alcohol and the cruise line wouldn’t allow him to, is that a big surprise? If he let that ruin his cruise, then the question pops up “Does he think he’s above the law and should be allowed to drink.

What thought process leads to that question popping up?  Personally I think the US rules on drinking are bonkers

8 hours ago, 20165 said:

Wow, this question got a lot of air time. So, sounds like Celebrity doesnt have the same policy as NCL in regards to drinking under 21 with parents consent.  But ill throw another  fun question in, do you think our sons, 19-16yo mini bar will be stocked with liquor and beer?  They have their own room next to ours with only their names on the room.  And if/when they drink it, do you think the room steward will restock it?

As noted above, it could get them kicked off the ship as a guest conduct violation.  You could be in trouble too depending on your response when they come to you about it, especially if the 16-yr-old is involved.  Maybe I missed where you are sailing from, but if it's from North America, the 19-yr-old is too young to have booked the room (must be 21), so they're both on your reservation even if it's in a different room, meaning you are the responsible party.  I personally would make sure the steward emptied the minibar, if you think it might be an issue.  I wouldn't trust that staff is going to turn a blind eye.

18 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I was drafted in 1970 and in Vietnam when I was 18 years old and wasn't allowed to vote. 

Yes, that is why I said "sounds like" 

The verse in the song was

"The Eastern world, it is explodin'
Violence flarin', bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'
You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'?
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin'"

Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. 

16 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, that is why I said "sounds like" 

The verse in the song was

"The Eastern world, it is explodin'
Violence flarin', bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'
You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'?
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin'"

Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. 

Know the song very well. Just adding we didn't get voting rights until 1971. I grew up in NY State and the legal drinking age was 18 y/o. 

9 hours ago, smtcan said:

I understand the rule, but three of our grandchildren are 19and 20.  They are of legal drinking age in their home countries.  I guess they won’t be joining us on a cruise for the next couple of years.  BTW they are responsible kids, but enjoy a beer by the pool and a glass of wine with dinner.

Kind of highlights the ridiculousness of US laws pertaining to alcohol, doesn't it? 

While I understand Carnival sticking to 21, it seems far less important for Celebrity to do so,particularly given the number of international guests they host. 

15 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Know the song very well. Just adding we didn't get voting rights until 1971. I grew up in NY State and the legal drinking age was 18 y/o. 

Yep...same here...know the song and remember the times like it was yesterday...

Saw tricky Dick hisself and guv Rockefeller in a motorcade in Bronxville NY...

• Like 1

I get where the OP is coming from. The 19 year old is going to be the one to make the decisions and take responsibility for his actions.  But the OP will share the blame if the 19-year old gets into trouble for that decision while on board.  So whether one agrees or disagrees with Celebrity’s policy, everyone should know what it is and what can happen if it isn’t followed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I get where the OP is coming from. The 19 year old is going to be the one to make the decisions and take responsibility for his actions.  But the OP will share the blame if the 19-year old gets into trouble for that decision while on board.  So whether one agrees or disagrees with Celebrity’s policy, everyone should know what it is and what can happen if it isn’t followed.

Exactly.  Just like when hes in his dorm at college, im not controlling what hes doing. If he does something wrong, i will have to deal with it, but im not checking on  him to make sure hes being a 'good boy'...

20 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

They can cruise with you just not from North American ports, if the ability to get a drink is more important to them than spending time with their grandparents

Of course the reverse can be said about the grandparents wanting to only sail on their favorite cruise line and not switching for couple of years for the sake of their grandchildren. Do they love Celebrity more than their own flesh and blood? 😁