Tips for New Viking River Cruisers

bbjmlawson

I agrees, the roll calls are a great source of info and you may find someone who is specifically on your cruise ship, there is certainly a chance.

You sail early in the year. Be prepared for almost any kind of weather, check the weather forecast close to the date.

Perhaps you would like to peruse this thread on the Moselle: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2268619-the-river-moselle-infos-and-river-cruising-experiences/page/18/#comments

notamermaid

Definitely read the sticky notes at the top of the forum regarding "new to river cruising" and "what to know."

There are no big shows at night.  There might be something small in the lounge after dinner.  There is very little to do on the ship, and most folks leave for the excursions during the day.  You can stay back, and relax.  You may go to sleep with a nice view of the river out your window, and wake up with a scantily clad German looking at you from his state room.

It is a very different experience than big ship ocean cruising.  I really prefer it, but managing expectations will prevent unpleasant surprises.

On our first river cruise with Viking.  My tip is to double check the description of any shore excursions on Viking’s website just before you cruise.  We found an optional tour we booked had changed significantly.  When I showed the guide the description I had copied from the Viking website when I booked the shorex,

she told me it was an old description.  Viking does not notify you of changes to shorex,

it appears.

• Thanks 1