Screwed by Princess

stag

In 2021, we moved a Crown Princess booking to March 2023 due to the threat of Covid. We also booked with EZAir a direct Business Class flight from Calgary to LAX, and with the airport transfer to ship. In mid 2022, our TA notified us that Air Canada cancelled Calgary direct flight. We were routed through LAS, no problem as things happened. 3 weeks ago, we made the final payment. The next day, Princess notified our travel agent that Air Canada cancelled the LAS flight. Now there is no flights that Air Canada could take us to LAX within reasonable timeframe. The only alternative is to book a direct flight with West Jet. Since West Jet do not offer Business Class. There is a refund on the airfare. I don’t know when did Air Canada cancel the LAS flight. But we were notified 1 day after the final payment that is somewhat questionable.

Princess offered a smaller amount in cash refund and a larger amount in Future Cruise Credit for the fare difference. Here is the catch on FCC; we must book a cruise by the end of this month, e.g. in 2 weeks, and the booked cruise must sail by March 2023. How can we apply this FCC as we are still sailing on Crown Princess in March 2023. Our TA escalated this issue but could not get resolution.

We have been Elite passengers at least 25 years ago. We still have a long way to be the top 3 passengers at the show. Yet, we have been invited to the top 40 passengers party. There is no way to treat loyal passengers with this behind the glass FCC.

• Like 3

I'm confused. You booked the West Jet replacement flight, right? You are being refunded the difference in flights due to a lower cabin class, correct? If so, why would Princess owe you additional money?

For example, if I paid $500 for my flight at final payment. The next day it gets cancelled and I am rebooked on another flight for $300 and they refund the $200, I am made whole. Am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, stag said:

In 2021, we moved a Crown Princess booking to March 2023 due to the threat of Covid. We also booked with EZAir a direct Business Class flight from Calgary to LAX, and with the airport transfer to ship. In mid 2022, our TA notified us that Air Canada cancelled Calgary direct flight. We were routed through LAS, no problem as things happened. 3 weeks ago, we made the final payment. The next day, Princess notified our travel agent that Air Canada cancelled the LAS flight. Now there is no flights that Air Canada could take us to LAX within reasonable timeframe. The only alternative is to book a direct flight with West Jet. Since West Jet do not offer Business Class. There is a refund on the airfare. I don’t know when did Air Canada cancel the LAS flight. But we were notified 1 day after the final payment that is somewhat questionable.

Princess offered a smaller amount in cash refund and a larger amount in Future Cruise Credit for the fare difference. Here is the catch on FCC; we must book a cruise by the end of this month, e.g. in 2 weeks, and the booked cruise must sail by March 2023. How can we apply this FCC as we are still sailing on Crown Princess in March 2023. Our TA escalated this issue but could not get resolution.

We have been Elite passengers at least 25 years ago. We still have a long way to be the top 3 passengers at the show. Yet, we have been invited to the top 40 passengers party. There is no way to treat loyal passengers with this behind the glass FCC.

• Like 1

Did the cash refund offer accurately reflect the difference in flight costs?  If yes, then it seems thy are offering you a bonus in FCC's that have strings attached.  If that is the case and I didn't like the FCC conditions, I would opt for the cash refund and consider myself made whole.      

I personally would have a problem if Princess offered a cash refund that is less than the difference in the two flights.  

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Did the cash refund offer accurately reflect the difference in flight costs?  If yes, then it seems thy are offering you a bonus in FCC's that have strings attached.  If that is the case and I didn't like the FCC conditions, I would opt for the cash refund and consider myself made whole.      

I personally would have a problem if Princess offered a cash refund that is less than the difference in the two flights.  

FCC is not the bonus. FCC+cash  should be the fare difference.

7 minutes ago, stag said:

FCC is not the bonus. FCC+cash  should be the fare difference.

Sorry. I thought based on your OP the choice was a cash refund or a higher value FCC. If you didn't get an option for a cash refund for the flight fare difference then, IMO, that would be wrong.  

I admit I'm a little confused. Not your fault.  I best bow out gracefully.   Hope your get it resolved.  

Edited by ldubs

11 minutes ago, stag said:

There should be a refund from EZAir due to class difference. The total amount was split into small cash and large FCC that was offered by Princess.

Could it be that you paid the EZ Air flight using FCC’s?  And that’s the reason they split the refund payments?

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’m definitely sorry you’ve experienced a negative impact by this cancellation, but Princess has 0 control over airline schedules, classes of service, and cancellations. You might wanna try a different routing if your priority is Business Class. 

he is not asking about routing or cancellation. He is asking about not getting the refund as cash.

10 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I'm confused. You booked the West Jet replacement flight, right? You are being refunded the difference in flights due to a lower cabin class, correct? If so, why would Princess owe you additional money?

For example, if I paid $500 for my flight at final payment. The next day it gets cancelled and I am rebooked on another flight for $300 and they refund the $200, I am made whole. Am I missing something?

They want to give them FCC that needs to be used very soon, instead of a cash back refund. They tried to do the same thing to me, which I wouldn’t be able to use as I only had so much vacation time. I was persistent… and I got a cash refund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1