Why don't people like to eat at a specialty restaurant on the first night?

Sigyn

I would agree that the specialty dining rooms are quieter on the first evening.

For us specialty dining is a treat and for those it is nice to dress up a bit.  We usually don't feel like doing that on the first day.  Additionally, we probably had a later lunch and so could not fully appreciate a large dinner.

Dining in a specialty dining venue on the first night actually could be quite a good idea and we might try that on a future cruise.   As others have noted the main dining rooms can be quite crowded on the first night.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:28 PM, Joebucks said:

But the topic here was clearly about specialty dining. Are there any examples of cheap cruises getting these free

Not sure what a "cheap cruise" is, but on a line like HAL (just one more mass market line) folks that hav their "Have it All" package (often offered as a booking promotion) get 2 included/free meals in their specialty restaurants.

Hank

10 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

I would agree that the specialty dining rooms are quieter on the first evening.

As others have noted the main dining rooms can be quite crowded on the first night.

We hope you enjoy your experience of possibly trying a specialized restaurant on the first evening.

But granted I am attempting to understand everyone on this board with not approaching the Main Dining Room on the first evening.  

Yes every first night will be crowded with the restaurants settling in to a normal routine by the second evening. But isn't the excitement of returning to cruising or experiencing your first sailing part of the first evening in the Main Dinings Rooms. 

Sure it will be crowded with passengers and staff settling in on the first evening but aren't there going to be other evenings a needed quiet dinner will be available. 

Seeing the crowds on the Pier excited and anticipating the boarding a ship (again or first time) and seeing their awl is part of cruising.

We always settle in and enjoy the MDR and look forward to when to enjoy something special down the line. 

Excitement is part of cruising. Aren't getting away from the everyday to on board activities to enjoy. 

Well it boils down to whatever people like to do that will make them happy.

Bon Voyage....in the future. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We hope you enjoy your experience of possibly trying a specialized restaurant on the first evening.

But granted I am attempting to understand everyone on this board with not approaching the Main Dining Room on the first evening.  

Yes every first night will be crowded with the restaurants settling in to a normal routine by the second evening. But isn't the excitement of returning to cruising or experiencing your first sailing part of the first evening in the Main Dinings Rooms. 

Sure it will be crowded with passengers and staff settling in on the first evening but aren't there going to be other evenings a needed quiet dinner will be available. 

Seeing the crowds on the Pier excited and anticipating the boarding a ship (again or first time) and seeing their awl is part of cruising.

We always settle in and enjoy the MDR and look forward to when to enjoy something special down the line. 

Excitement is part of cruising. Aren't getting away from the everyday to on board activities to enjoy. 

Well it boils down to whatever people like to do that will make them happy.

Bon Voyage....in the future. 

What excites me about a cruise is the itinerary. Cruising is a good way to get to places that are remote, spread out over a large area or lack modern tourist infrastructure. The often stilted and artificial environment on the boat, the unspoken book of "etiquette" and general onboard frivolity are of no interest to me. I'll eat in the MDR when it suits me, elsewhere when it doesn't, and being jammed into the MDR on the first night doesn't suit me. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

But isn't the excitement of returning to cruising or experiencing your first sailing part of the first evening in the Main Dinings Rooms. 

To us, there's nothing exciting about the MDR. Haven't done it in ages because it was always so underwhelming, so we do either specialty or buffet each night depending on our mood or any special occasion. We love the fact that the specialty places are so quiet the first night because it's more relaxing for us, as we do it for the first night on every trip. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

To us, there's nothing exciting about the MDR. Haven't done it in ages because it was always so underwhelming, so we do either specialty or buffet each night depending on our mood or any special occasion. We love the fact that the specialty places are so quiet the first night because it's more relaxing for us, as we do it for the first night on every trip. 

Once again, it depends on the particular ship and MDR you and others are speaking about specifically.

One can not accuse all ships and MDR's under this subject. This subject is reflecting what one has experienced and the decision one makes for a quiet dinner on embarkation evening. 

Again, enjoy your meal wherever you wish.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...