Frank A. Del Rio appointed president of Oceania Cruises

RetiredLifer

Since Frank A. Del Rio, son of Frank J. Del Rio (known to us as FDR) has been appointed president of Oceania Cruises we will need to differentiate between the two in our postings.  A few possibilities for the son:

“FDR 2.0”

“FDR Jr.” Or simply “Jr.”

”A”

call him “FDR”and his father “FDR the Elder”

”The Boy” or The Son”

”FDR, Prince of Wales” which may be too long but our British posters will know what I am talking about.

However we refer to him, I expect he will carry on his father’s successful Oceania Cruises legacy and I wish him success and congratulations.

• Haha 1

Saves on changing the stationary and placing too much hope in IT to sort out the email changes 😉

I have to say I kind of like this, O should play on this as the care about the brand and family handing on of the torch etc means that there is a sense of stewardship for the brand.

17 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Nepotism is fine as long as you keep it in the family.

In this case I think we can be fairly sure that at least the new person has an idea about the ethos of the brand and that’s a good thing 🙂

• Like 2

Similar to the new CEO at Silversea, who is the wife of the former CEO.  Husband got a promotion, and then named wife as his successor.

In both cases, I am sure that a highly independent search committee vetted a number of very qualified possible candidates before making these choices.

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

So the former presidents of Oceania and Regent Seven Seas were unceremoniously shown the door . Hardly surprising given NCLH's dire financial straits.

The board still trusts FDR though . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

Since Frank A. Del Rio, son of Frank J. Del Rio (known to us as FDR) has been appointed president of Oceania Cruises we will need to differentiate between the two in our postings.  A few possibilities for the son:

“FDR 2.0”

“FDR Jr.” Or simply “Jr.”

”A”

call him “FDR”and his father “FDR the Elder”

”The Boy” or The Son”

”FDR, Prince of Wales” which may be too long but our British posters will know what I am talking about.

However we refer to him, I expect he will carry on his father’s successful Oceania Cruises legacy and I wish him success and congratulations.

"You can call me Ray.  Or you can call me Ray J.  Or you can call me RJ.  But you doesn't has to call me Johnston..."  🤣

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:23 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Similar to the new CEO at Silversea, who is the wife of the former CEO.  Husband got a promotion, and then named wife as his successor.

In both cases, I am sure that a highly independent search committee vetted a number of very qualified possible candidates before making these choices.

Have some friends in high places at RCL.  It was not a promotion.  It is a crazy story and their marriage relationship is truly unique. The wife worked to get her husband demoted because she wanted the job. She submarined him.  

1 minute ago, commodore2010 said:

Have some friends in high places at RCL.  It was not a promotion.  It is a crazy story and their marriage relationship is truly unique. The wife worked to get her husband demoted because she wanted the job. She submarined him.  

Divorce papers being filed in five, four, three.....

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:08 AM, njhorseman said:

So the former presidents of Oceania and Regent Seven Seas were unceremoniously shown the door . Hardly surprising given NCLH's dire financial straits.

The board still trusts FDR though . 

Though it is interesting that in both cases they were former heads of sales and marketing.  Usually in time of dire financial straights companies tend to go with financial or operations.