Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

On 2/6/2024 at 6:15 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

they HOPE does not sound good.   Wondering what is really going on.

Glad I booked Sun for Nov and it better be up and running smoothly. 

Well, it's now February 12th and still no hand-over.  And the first cruise is supposed to depart in 6 days?!?!?  I really don't like how Princess is handling this.  No promo cruises? No shakedown cruises? It's actual first sailing will be with paying passengers - so different from how RC just rolled out the Icon OTS.  I'm supposed to be on the Feb 28th sailing and I'm still not confident mine will go off....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timcahill98 said:

Well, it's now February 12th and still no hand-over.  And the first cruise is supposed to depart in 6 days?!?!?  I really don't like how Princess is handling this.  No promo cruises? No shakedown cruises? It's actual first sailing will be with paying passengers - so different from how RC just rolled out the Icon OTS.  I'm supposed to be on the Feb 28th sailing and I'm still not confident mine will go off....

Unofficially the ship is heading out from the shipyard on February 13.  Cruise Director Corinne has posted that their time at the shipyard is coming to an end..

Screenshot_20240213-0304352.thumb.png.72098acab9d72817a4135dee74eb4ec2.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Meldrum said:

We are on the March 29 sailing and we cannot book dining reservations in the app yet. So far only the first three cruises seems to be open for dining reservations. I check daily, but maybe I have to wait until February 18th.

Thank You

13 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I sincerely doubt the aft exterior stairs are normally available to passengers. Mostly for crew only and definitely available in an emergency. However in a week or so we'll find out for sure.

If one looks at the plans for decks 15-17 it seems that this area is for Signature Suite passengers. It seems these passengers have two lifts that allow aft access to dining areas all the way to the top of the ship. The rear cabins on deck 15 for example have a wake view, albeit somewhat limited. The real wake view is in the signature area aft on these decks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it just me or is Princess just not drumming up that much excitement over this launch? I feel like I saw the Icon of the Seas splattered on every social media blogger for weeks even before it got to Miami

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Is it just me or is Princess just not drumming up that much excitement over this launch? I feel like I saw the Icon of the Seas splattered on every social media blogger for weeks even before it got to Miami

Twelve out of the first 15 cruises are sold out... "more excitement" seems unneccesary. 

6 hours ago, timcahill98 said:

As an enrichment speaker scheduled for the 18 February cruise, I just got my airline tickets to Rome as well as hotel and shuttle reservations from Princess Corporate HQ. I am quite confident the Sun will sail on the 18th.

Edited by teecee60
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Some actual footage from inside the ship posted on an Insta story by Filipe, one of the entertainment staff. They are still in protective gear and goofing around but here are a few screen grabs showing them approaching the illuminated Piazza with a glimpse of the Sphere windows. He also mentioned they are definitely ready.

Screenshot_20240213-1335352.thumb.png.ba5292232842a48709beb810cd2ae173.png

Screenshot_20240213-1335402.thumb.png.600afe9f8aa2898757745ff478854211.png

Screenshot_20240213-1335462.thumb.png.19ab4cfe46b12158f5892027ee1e9fa9.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/6/2024 at 5:15 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

they HOPE does not sound good.   Wondering what is really going on.

Glad I booked Sun for Nov and it better be up and running smoothly. 

Us too

3 hours ago, JerseyExplora said:

Are there three cruise directors with Jayson Douglas? Is Dan France still there?

Jayson has definitely just joined the team - not heard a peep from from Dan in weeks!  All a bit weird.

It's late evening in Italy and Sun Princess is still at the shipyard. This is the only mention I have seen that she is 'delivered' and thus is from a musician so this is by no means official. 

Screenshot_20240213-2108482.thumb.png.264df1b3c98ed336080faeb5f51bf3b4.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, timcahill98 said:

According to cruisemapper, she's still sitting in the shipyard and it's almost Wednesday there now (19 minutes from this writing).  Wonder if it has actually been handed over yet....

I HAVE TO think that it will leave tomorrow in daylight rather than at nighttime.  Still keeping everyone guessing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PrincessBuffy said:

So it looks like a Valentine's Day launch for the newest Love Boat - couldn't have planned it better....if it actually happens?!?

I like it! Safe Bon Voyage Sun! I just want to hear the horns!!!

• Like 1