Silhouette balcony when sun doesn't set

World Gallery

Trying to decide if I want to book a balcony or interior cabin for a Norwegian Fjord cruise in mid August.  I have been on a Baltic cruise and landbased trips to St. Petersburg in the summer and the light in the middle of the night bothers me, even with mask.  How well do the curtains work in keeping out the light on the Silhouette?  Are there gaps at the bottom/sides of the curtains?  I'm sure it won't be perfect but if I cannot block out most light, I may book an interior and use the decks for viewing.    

Edited by World Gallery

45 minutes ago, World Gallery said:

Trying to decide if I want to book a balcony or interior cabin for a Norwegian Fjord cruise in mid August.  I have been on a Baltic cruise and landbased trips to St. Petersburg in the summer and the light in the middle of the night bothers me, even with mask.  How well do the curtains work in keeping out the light on the Silhouette?  Are there gaps at the bottom/sides of the curtains?  I'm sure it won't be perfect but if I cannot block out most light, I may book an interior and use the decks for viewing.    

If the curtains on a different cruise ship weren't good enough to block things out for you while wearing a mask, I am not sure if the next cruise ship (in your case, Silhouette) will be any better.

What ship were you on for your Baltic cruise?

We did an Iceland visit on Summit.   The curtain are black out. . . but just like all curtain leak light at the top, bottom and where the curtains join.  A couple clothes pins will remedy where they join. Almost anything pretty in the bottom corners most of the light from the bottom and sides.  Nothingvyou can donabout the top.

We were quite pleased with the limited light remaining.  You might find it great, just ok or not acceptable.  Many on board wore masks.

• Like 1

Never had a sun problem.  So much better in a balcony cabin or suite.  The extra room is wonderful.  Never had an issue with sun getting into our cabin/suite.  I wouldn't recommend an aft cabin as perhaps the sun might peak in.  But the  eye mask is a excellent suggestion.  I would find it weird not having any exterior view.

• Like 1

I cannot answer your specific question about the silhouette, but what I can say is that I am also a very light sleeper who is extremely sensitive to light. The big clips as described above have been helpful but the best $13 I’ve ever spent in my life was on a high quality sleep mask. I got the recommended one that wirecutter.com suggested, and it has actually changed my life.  Previously I tried a low budget version from target or some thing that just smashed my eyelashes in my eyeballs and wasn’t very comfortable, but the one I purchased at their recommendation has eyecups that leave your eyeballs unaffected and block the light out really well. Best money ever spent.

If $$ allow, book a Celebrity suite (S or M class) with the separate bedroom that you can close off.  Haven’t sailed E class (too big for me) but I think their Celebrity suite can also be closed off.  Sleep masks, clips for drapes or separate bedroom are a nice range of options.