Riviera - slow engine causing itinerary change

Robjame

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We were there in early November from the Sirena. Enjoyed the day. Didn’t find the main pedestrian street to be as described above. Also enjoyed the tour up the Rock with all the great views. Had a great lunch in town.

Found it funny seeing the good monkeys versus the bad monkeys! 

did you do the tour through O?

Just now, jonthomas said:

did you do the tour through O?

Absolutely not.

Well kind of. The ship actually ported in Cadiz, so we paid O $99/ea to get us from Cadiz. Then we were on our own until we meet the bus to go back. 

All the touring there was on our own or by a local tour company.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

Our cabin was port-side on that cruise so at least we had a nice view of the Rock (including Marina already docked there) as we sailed past, having departed Casablanca about 8 hours late due to "propulsion problems."

I have done many TAs but we always seem to pass Gibraltar after dark.  Having grown up the "Piece of the Rock" commercials, I have always wanted to see it.  I am signed up for a WWII heritage tour next November.

Filming info: "The Greek island of Rhodes provided locations—the unit was based on there from April to July 1960. Quinn was so taken with the area that he bought land there in an area still called Anthony Quinn Bay. Some further scenes were shot on the islands of Gozo, near Malta, and Tino, in the Ligurian Sea."  But the BOOK and MOVIE are about Leros, Greece. Though legally part of Italy at that time, since the Italo-Turkish War of 1911-12: "The 1957 novel and subsequent 1961 film The Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLean was contextually based on the Battle of Leros." And: "The Battle of Leros was the central event of the Dodecanese campaign of the Second World War, and is widely used as an alternate name for the whole campaign. After the Armistice of Cassibile the Italian garrison on the Greek island Leros was strengthened by British forces on 15 September 1943. The battle began with German air attacks on 26 September, continued with the landings on 12 November, and ended with the capitulation of the Allied forces four days later."

• Thanks 1

We were in Gibraltar last fall.  If all you do is walk around the sea-level part of the port, you miss all the good stuff.  The top has great views across the Med to Africa on clear days, and the Great Siege Tunnels are absolutely worth doing.  I agree that it's a one-and-done port, but one well-planned day is absolutely worth it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We were in Gibraltar last fall.  If all you do is walk around the sea-level part of the port, you miss all the good stuff.  The top has great views across the Med to Africa on clear days, and the Great Siege Tunnels are absolutely worth doing.  I agree that it's a one-and-done port, but one well-planned day is absolutely worth it.

thank you for this info....

1 minute ago, Verokaren said:

We are getting ready to board Riviera on Jan. 4th, and I'm wondering if the engine problem will be addressed by then?  It looks like it's been an issue since at least October - yikes! Appreciate any updates!

Not heard anything meaningful, I hope all is ok, we are flying out of Heathrow tomorrow to board on the 23rd. I don’t fancy having to try and find alternate accommodation once we are out there if the worst happens. If she has been coping since October…