Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

PS. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

I won't shoot the messenger as I also got the same email. I would like to know what their definition of "elegant jeans" is? Too me black, white and some solid coloured can be elegant but not blue jeans, they always make me think casual day wear. This is just my opinion, just pointing out how elegant jeans can be interpreted differently as I a sure some will disagree with me.

@skybluewaters I have seen a young lady wearing jeans very similar to that ripped pair pictured once in the dining room for dinner. I didn't think it was appropriate, I don't care how much they cost.

I'll go get my popcorn 🙂🍿

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well that is sad news and a deal breaker for us!  The main reason we cruise with luxury cruise lines is because we like to be smart when dining out. Now, some will say that jeans, or certain jeans can be expensive and some would class as smart, not in my book. standards on some cruise lines have certainly dropped recently.

Maybe cruise lines have to do this to attract more folks? So its back to Silversea for us, we have always liked their dress code, and yes I know it dosent suit everybody, each to their own I guess.

• Like 8

@fudge  I understand but I think most will do what they do now. Myself and my husband and I will dress up anyway as we don't get much opportunity at home so we will just do our own thing. As long as we don't have rude people commenting on my husband wearing a jacket and I wearing elegant casual like we did on a 2019 cruise where they sneeringly asked if we were dressed La Di Da to impress the Captain, fellow Australians sadly, we are fine. We will see how things are on our upcoming cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fudge said:

Well that is sad news and a deal breaker for us!  The main reason we cruise with luxury cruise lines is because we like to be smart when dining out. Now, some will say that jeans, or certain jeans can be expensive and some would class as smart, not in my book. standards on some cruise lines have certainly dropped recently.

Maybe cruise lines have to do this to attract more folks? So its back to Silversea for us, we have always liked their dress code, and yes I know it dosent suit everybody, each to their own I guess.

I totally understand your viewpoint and share it.  Just as I would never wear jeans of any kind for fine dining in our city, I would not wear them to dine in the evening on a Seabourn ship.  I think this IS driven by an effort to attract more cruisers to Seabourn.  Certain locations have a much more casual dress protocol (looking at you California--for one example) and people from these areas seem to be unwilling to dress in a way they consider outdated.  Like others, we will continue to dress as we always have.  My husband wears a jacket and tie every evening on Seabourn.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Certain locations have a much more casual dress protocol (looking at you California--for one example) and people from these areas seem to be unwilling to dress in a way they consider outdated. 

Sorry SLSD but on the last segment of our cruise in July/August the most casual and out there behaviour was from Texans. It was not our most enjoyable cruise since some of their behaviour was over the top ie calling MayDay, MayDay when a radio dropped down in front of one woman on a bumpy tender ride. She and her group thought it funny, the crew and we didn't.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Sorry SLSD but on the last segment of our cruise in July/August the most casual and out there behaviour was from Texans. It was not our most enjoyable cruise since some of their behaviour was over the top ie calling MayDay, MayDay when a radio dropped down in front of one woman on a bumpy tender ride. She and her group thought it funny, the crew and we didn't.

There are Texans and there are Texans.  We live half of the time at our rural farm in East Texas where almost anything in my closet would be deemed too dressy by the locals.  It's just cultural differences.  In the city, it's a bit different depending on where you go.  I have yet to see a woman wearing jeans in a fine dining establishment in Dallas.  

I wish I could police the behavior of all Texans, but I gave up on that a long time ago.  Just as you could be embarrassed by some of your countrymen upon occasion, I am as well.  It's never a good look when someone gives their state/country/locale a bad name.  At the same time, I try not to paint countries/states with a broad brush.  When I mentioned California, it was solely about dress (not even implying that they are sloppy or anything like that.). I sometimes read a blog written by a woman in a suburb of Los Angeles.  She wears nothing but jeans (with various tops/sweaters) and her blog is a fashion blog.  If you want to take a look, go to unefemme.net. Her California casual look is too casual for me for every occasion, but evidently it works for her.  

Edited by SLSD

13 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Slippery slope.  I wonder what would happen if someone strolled into the Restaurant wearing this...

R076-0.jpg

Their wording doesn’t describe the jeans in your photo - “Elegant jeans are now welcome in all dining venues.”

Times have changed, some will think for the better and some for the worse. In London these days virtually every top restaurant allows jeans and you see very few under 50's dressed in anything else.

My son is head of Europe for a large American Broking company, he is 40 and wears jeans to work every day. Ties are virtually never worn these days.

I prefer to wear jeans but on my cruise scheduled for May I will have trousers, jackets and jeans with me and I will evaluate how people dress on the first couple of nights, if virtually no one is wearing jeans then I won't. I just don't like to look out of place.

Funny story on our first cruise in 1996 (Royal Caribbean) my father in law who had been on a few cruises before us told me to hire a white dinner jacket as the men wore these in the Caribbean. Well I was about the only one apart from the staff and at the first cocktail party all I had was people coming up to me asking for a drink - I never wore a white dinner jacket again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Darspurs said:

Times have changed, some will think for the better and some for the worse. In London these days virtually every top restaurant allows jeans and you see very few under 50's dressed in anything else.

My son is head of Europe for a large American Broking company, he is 40 and wears jeans to work every day. Ties are virtually never worn these days.

I prefer to wear jeans but on my cruise scheduled for May I will have trousers, jackets and jeans with me and I will evaluate how people dress on the first couple of nights, if virtually no one is wearing jeans then I won't. I just don't like to look out of place.

Funny story on our first cruise in 1996 (Royal Caribbean) my father in law who had been on a few cruises before us told me to hire a white dinner jacket as the men wore these in the Caribbean. Well I was about the only one apart from the staff and at the first cocktail party all I had was people coming up to me asking for a drink - I never wore a white dinner jacket again.

The difference is you are not in London, you are on a luxury cruise line where standards are met.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Darspurs said:

In London these days virtually every top restaurant allows jeans and you see very few under 50's dressed in anything else.

I doubt anyone would be thrown out of a fine dining establishment in Dallas for wearing jeans either--but I haven't seen anyone wearing them.  Most people like an opportunity to dress up just a bit.  All this makes me sound like some matron who dresses up all the time---which is not the case.  But, if my husband says he would like to go out for dinner on the spur of the moment, I always tell him that I will have to change first,  T

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

@fudge  I understand but I think most will do what they do now. Myself and my husband and I will dress up anyway as we don't get much opportunity at home so we will just do our own thing. As long as we don't have rude people commenting on my husband wearing a jacket and I wearing elegant casual like we did on a 2019 cruise where they sneeringly asked if we were dressed La Di Da to impress the Captain, fellow Australians sadly, we are fine. We will see how things are on our upcoming cruises.

Thankfully you and Keith had corks on your hats to bring some sort of stability to the ensemble.

• Haha 2

I don’t wear jeans but I don’t see them as a problem. They were allowed on Crystal. 
After a lifetime of dressing in suits am happy to relax in perfectly acceptable elegant casual clothes on holidays. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Emdee said:

I don’t wear jeans but I don’t see them as a problem. They were allowed on Crystal. 
After a lifetime of dressing in suits am happy to relax in perfectly acceptable elegant casual clothes on holidays. 

But this isn't Crystal is it, and not all of us have dressed in suits in their work life, I think its a shocking decision, anyway it wont affect me any more, thats it for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I've been thinking.  There is a type of clothing I have never worn to the MDR on a Seabourn ship---casual dresses.  I'm not talking bare sundresses (at my age) , but casual stylish (at least I think they are) dresses.  I have quite a number of them and usually bring a couple of them on cruises--to wear to tea, lunch around the pool, at Earth and Ocean.  They are at least as dressy as "elegant jeans". These are dresses I would wear to "nice" casual dining in Dallas--but not to a fine dining restaurant. 

Perhaps things ARE shifting, no matter what some would like (including me) and I will go with the flow and bring a more casual wardrobe on our next cruise.  In the past, I might have worn these dresses outdoors in the Colonnade in the evening.  I can see that seeing what everyone is wearing will be interesting on our next cruise.  I am thinking it is going to be much more casual.  

Edited by SLSD

In recent years, I've seen guests who were seated in the MDR despite wearing jeans (in some cases, decidedly non-elegant ones).  It seemed that the MDR's maître/maîtress d'  were reluctant to enforce (or perhaps had been quietly instructed not to enforce) the no-jeans rule.  In fact, in over 300 SB sailing days, I've never seen a SB guest turned away from the MDR, even when dressed like they'd just finished washing a car or performing heavy yard work.

So -- given that the old dress guidelines weren't being honored or enforced, Seabourn apparently decided to abandon them. It could be a slippery slope, but I think most SB guests will continue to eschew jeans (whether "elegant" or not) after 6:00 p.m.  

I don't have an issue with SB's decision to stop holding formal nights on expedition cruises.  I think the decision makes sense.