Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

3 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Other people can do what they want as long as they don't try to force feed me their desires, like an arrogant sounding guy who pointed out to me that i didn't need to wear a tie! When I told him I knew that and wore one out of choice he had no answer.🙂

I hate it when people assume you don't know some obvious detail--just because you are doing something you don't have to do.  

1 hour ago, markham said:

I know, I know… you can suit yourself and dress to the nines. But why even bother? There are better cruise lines with more structured dress codes and broadly better offerings across the board than the HAL- Seabourn of today.

Anyway, let’s submit our cruise evaluations in due course, review our travel plans, and get on with life.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Mr. SLSD and I had really hoped to see you again on another SB cruise.  I guess we are going to have to sail Silversea in the future to make that happen.  We HAVE sailed Silversea in the past, but it has been many years.  I wlil miss the SB cruise directors and the better entertainment and livelier passengers.  

46 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

For me, I dress according to my preferences which are probably more than the requested dress code indicates.

When at sea, we kept 4 hrs on, 8 hrs off watches. There was plenty of 'admin' to do in your 'off' time.

Meals were NEVER a relaxed affair.

You had no choice about what to wear, and no choice about when to eat. Taking as long as twenty minutes for a meal was frowned upon.

When in port, 6 hrs on, 6 hrs off. Same principle but no dining saloon as you were in working gear.

Meals were frequently missed altogether.

To be at sea, on a ship with a smart dress code and being allowed to have a relaxed meal at a time of my choosing and in pleasant surroundings is spot on. 

Other people can do what they want as long as they don't try to force feed me their desires, like an arrogant sounding guy who pointed out to me that i didn't need to wear a tie! When I told him I knew that and wore one out of choice he had no answer.🙂

Indeed.its good to dress above a suggested dress code.

Who cares if you look like Lord Grantham at Downton Abbey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did NOT mean to ruffle feathers with the question of wearing upscale, collared short sleeve quality shirts (think silk, etc) in a warm Mediterranean climate. I should have clarified and stated ‘in addition to long sleeves’.
I had already looked up on Seabourn’s website what the dress requirements are. It states ‘collared dress shirt’. After reading all these responses, I actually perused the definition of “collared dress shirt”. Several websites clearly state that in warm climates short sleeve collared dress shirts are appropriate. 

We are new to Seabourn. I was simply trying to understand expectations. I was not trying to step outside of the rules or stated dress codes. If Seabourn’s printed dress code was more specific I would not have asked. If it stated ‘long sleeve collared dress shirts”, there would not have been question. I specifically said warm Mediterranean weather, which was the main reason to even ask. DH cuts a fine look when he dresses and enjoys dressing up.  Based on all the responding comments, then he will pack more long sleeve. 
I guess, thank you. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

I did NOT mean to ruffle feathers

Don't worry - the things that get the most polarised responses on all the luxury cruise line boards are dress code and tipping - it's like never discuss religion or politics 😂😂 I hope you have a wonderful, first Seabourn cruise.

Edited by Techno123

7 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Oh well, I am not going be concerned.  I know that we are pretty darned classy dressers…

I am sure you will both look wonderful.

As it is your first Seabourn cruise two recommendations - check out the referral thread which is a'sticky' at the top of the board - both you and the person who refers you get $250 to spend onboard. (I haven't got any vouchers so not selling myself 😜) Also, check the roll call for your cruise - people usually discuss things like private excursions or other things specific to your cruise. It's nice to make some contacts before you get onboard.

Thank you for these suggestions. I have the referral credit you are mentioning. I appreciate this. 

The roll call is pretty quiet. I have been researching private tours on a couple websites. We generally do this or DIY. There is one port we may take a ship excursion due to the relatively remote small local, combined with tender. I again thank you. 

Least  of my concerns now is if we will be dressed appropriately.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

Least  of my concerns now is if we will be dressed appropriately.  

We are off on the Ovation to the Norwegian Fjords so will pack for a British summer (cold/hot, wet/dry, windy/still - maybe a bit of snow thrown in 😂😂).

I started a roll call for ours as no-one seemed to have done so but found the roll call for the cruise after ours was quite active with lots of good suggestions for excursions.

Thank you. I will keep checking, but I a, “following” and haven’t had recent updates. 

Enjoy your sailing!  The Norwegian Fjords are just so incredibly beautiful. I wouldn’t mind going back up there again sometime. And yeah, packing is quite varied  for that part of our world. Have a safe trip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I did NOT mean to ruffle feathers with the question of wearing upscale, collared short sleeve quality shirts (think silk, etc) in a warm Mediterranean climate. I should have clarified and stated ‘in addition to long sleeves’.
I had already looked up on Seabourn’s website what the dress requirements are. It states ‘collared dress shirt’. After reading all these responses, I actually perused the definition of “collared dress shirt”. Several websites clearly state that in warm climates short sleeve collared dress shirts are appropriate. 

We are new to Seabourn. I was simply trying to understand expectations. I was not trying to step outside of the rules or stated dress codes. If Seabourn’s printed dress code was more specific I would not have asked. If it stated ‘long sleeve collared dress shirts”, there would not have been question. I specifically said warm Mediterranean weather, which was the main reason to even ask. DH cuts a fine look when he dresses and enjoys dressing up.  Based on all the responding comments, then he will pack more long sleeve. 
I guess, thank you. 

I took it, just as you intended, so you definitely didn’t ruffle my feathers. I conform to whatever the dress code is. If I need a jacket and tie, there will usually be a short sleeve shirt beneath that jacket. I do wear long sleeve ,but prefer short as I perspire quite easily and heavily. If it’s a casual night, it’ll be a short sleeved, collared, button down shirt, perhaps with a jacket if not too warm. Formal night goes without saying that I’ll wear the long sleeve with my suit.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

I took it, just as you intended, so you definitely didn’t ruffle my feathers. I conform to whatever the dress code is. If I need a jacket and tie, there will usually be a short sleeve shirt beneath that jacket. I do wear long sleeve ,but prefer short as I perspire quite easily and heavily. If it’s a casual night, it’ll be a short sleeved, collared, button down shirt, perhaps with a jacket if not too warm. Formal night goes without saying that I’ll wear the long sleeve with my suit.

The key is that when you wear a short sleeved collared shirt to dinner in the MDR on a regular, non-formal night, you are *in compliance with the dress code*. Men can also look quite nice in them, and frankly, as a woman, aesthetically,  I'd rather be sitting next to a non-sweating man in an elegant short-sleeved shirt (e.g., the kind men often *choose* to wear to upscale restaurants in California wine country areas), than an aromatic man with stained armpits who is uncomfortable wearing long sleeves (especially in a venue where at times the AC isn't working as well as it should in a warm climate).

Also, Vineyard View and Techno 123 did not ruffle my feathers either, because they *did not suggest non-compliance* with the existing dress code -- VV just *asked a simple question about sleeves*, and Techno made a realistic observation that men have less comfort options than women, especially during warm weather, but did not suggest or imply that dress code violations are fine.

But I do understand Markham's concern that loosening of an official dress code may result in more and more people unnecessarily pushing the envelope and trying to get away with violations -- doing so gives the border crashers more opportunity to look sloppy and boring in what is supposed to be an upscale Restaurant, instead of just going to the more casual Colonnade to feed. But at least prior to the "nice jeans ok on non-formal nights" new  rule, (I haven't been on SB since the allowance), most guests looked terrific (or at least fine) at SB dinners, whether by choice or otherwise . I look around the dining rooms a lot and enjoy looking at people's outfits, as a form of art appreciation, and it adds to my experience if they look nice and have made an effort. It doesn't take that much time to do so either.

I also have yet to see anyone trying to meet the captain in his bathrobe, on *any* line  (but if they do, perhaps that will also be considered fine if it is golden in colour and a Versace :). 

• Like 2

Thank you Catlover. I wasn’t suggesting a cotton short sleeve shirt with rolled up sleeves. Personally, I enjoy DH in a nice pear of silk slacks and a beautiful silk shirt - both short and long sleeve depending on temps. Add a jacket, when appropriate, and it’s a winner. We enjoy dressing up as well, but a jacket and tie worn to dinner by others isn’t going to affect my experience, or my enjoyment of my meal, as much a having a good glass of wine to go with it! But that’s a whole different discussion. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I guess, thank you. 

I’ve learned to ignore comments on Cruise Critic 15 years ago and rely on my own experiences instead. Once onboard, your DH will quickly discover that lots of people wear short sleeved polo shirts regardless of what certain people write on here. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I’ve learned to ignore comments on Cruise Critic 15 years ago and rely on my own experiences instead. Once onboard, your DH will quickly discover that lots of people wear short sleeved polo shirts regardless of what certain people write on here. 

Thank you 
I’ve been on CC for a bit and I know that dress codes discussions can light the flames on boards - but an innocent, simple question such as mine should have been a nonstarter, as I wasn’t pushing back against the published dress code. 

Truly. I have let this go.  

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 4:08 PM, Vineyard View said:

I guess, thank you. 

We were on Encore in February, apart from formal nights, short sleeves were quite common, in fact also saw polo shirts as well. 

3 hours ago, waldorf said:

We were on Encore in February, apart from formal nights, short sleeves were quite common, in fact also saw polo shirts as well. 

Thank you for your comments. I feel absolutely comfortable with what our wardrobe choices will be. 

On a similar note, we dress for dinner here at home when going to a nice restaurant and intend to do the same on our Seabourn cruise next month. 

We were recently on Regent and most guests - but definitely not all - did dress nicely for dinner. 

Will I be out of place wearing a cocktail dress a few nights of our 12 night cruise?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, caviargal said:

Will I be out of place wearing a cocktail dress a few nights of our 12 night cruise?

No you won't. There will be some wearing very casual clothing but the majority will dress up including cocktail wear at times. The exception to this was on the Antarctic segment when many wore more expedition type clothing even in the evening. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, caviargal said:

Absolutely not!  I dress up on when dining, it's my chance to do so and I like it!  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 3:15 AM, markham said:

Need a new demographic to sustain Seabourn? I would like to see the market data which shows that jeans-wearing is a panacea, and that "dressing down" is the answer. Or even AN answer.

My view is that people who know the product- be in Silversea, Regent or Seabourn, or one of the newcomers such as Ritz Carlton - are looking for a product that meets their needs. That might mean 

unabashed luxury, picnic baskets on deck, everyone wearing red hats or discussing philosophy. The common thread is common interests and respect for the investment they are making for the cruise's duration.

So does jean wearing for those who choose them make a difference to any of this? 

I can only speak for myself and my husband, but yes, it made me book Seabourn.

When hubby and I head to Europe we do so with carry-on only. It is just easier to get around with a small suitcase. We were looking for a cruise to do a “B2B” off a Celebrity cruise with my mother (the before and after sailing on Celebrity did next appeal to us). With the constraints of carry-on luggage, dressing up for dinner is really not an option. I cannot pack evening wear when an extra top and slacks would be better utilized over a month.

While I am personally not going to wear jeans in the dining room, a more relaxed dress code makes sense for us. And, I am definitely looking for that in a cruise line.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, xamsx said:

While I am personally not going to wear jeans in the dining room, a more relaxed dress code makes sense for us. And, I am definitely looking for that in a cruise line.

I totally understand this.  We are going to try to MOSTLY pack in our carryon bag for our summer SB cruise.  I am going to put in my black silk pants and various tops, but I am convinced our checked bag may get lost.  I won't be wearing jeans in the MDR either--and the one pair I am bringing will be in the checked bag.  I am beginning to agree that a more relaxed dress code makes sense, especially for those of us flying from afar and changing planes at least once.  

A related question for you is:  what is your favorite carryon bag for international travel.  I am shopping for a new one and will welcome suggestions.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

A related question for you is:  what is your favorite carryon bag for international travel.  I am shopping for a new one and will welcome suggestions. 

My husband and I have different ideas on how to pack for carry-on only, which changes what suitcases we use.

I currently am using Sherpani Meridian (22", approximately 6 pounds, expandable).  I can use it for carry-on on Delta metal international (business or first class). The pro is it is very lightweight. The con is that it is a hard case, so it is not possible to tuck my iPad in the front of it (I like to read while waiting for boarding or on a train).  That means my purse (I use a high fashion Pacsafe (yes, that is sarcasm)) needs to be able to fit my iPad.

I also have a Delsey Paris helium aero (19", approximately 8 pounds, expandable) that I use when the airline does not allow for as large a carry-on.

My husband has used a Delsey helium hyperlite carry-on 2 wheel (20.5", approximately 7 pounds, expandable) for nearly 10 years now.  The pro is that it has front zipper openings and those pockets  can hold a lot (iPad, computers, jackets, etc.).

He originally wanted that suitcase due to the 2 wheels. He didn't think a 4-wheel would work on the streets and sidewalks in Europe. He's since discovered that my 4-wheel cases do very well on those stones (and even better on smooth surfaces) than his 2-wheeler. 

We also pack a collapsible suitcase in one of our carry-ons for any extra "stuff" we may purchase that does not make sense to ship home. We have only used it once (on the TA we took this past October), but I do not regret packing it each time we travel carry-on.

And yes, fear of lost luggage is one reason to do carry-on only. Honestly? When my husband first suggested it, I thought he was crazy. Now, I am used to it.

Assuming you are flying to get to your cruise port and have to deal with the TSA 100ml liquid restrictions, get your shampoo/conditioner once you land by having an Amazon order waiting for you at a drop box/location for pick-up or buy it in the ship's salon (or simply have your hair done exclusively in the ship's salon!)

Have a wonderful vacation. 🙂

• Like 1