Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

6 hours ago, Rosroz said:

I will not be popular here, but I’ve looked several times at a SB cruise and have decided against it because of the no jeans policy, as people have said there are jeans and there are jeans , most stylish Europeans wear them to high end venues and as a general rule look pretty chic and fabulous.
I’ve seen many fellow cruisers dressed in suits, chinos , smart trousers and quite frankly some of them look like they’ve either just got out of bed or have spent a day in the garden !!! It’s how you wear your clothes , this is 2023 after all , times are a changing 

Rothko, please do not let these jeans convos dissuade you.  I have been sailing SB for over 20 years and have never had a problem with jeans.  I refrain from wearing them in the MDR (99.9% of the time as I can recall two occasions I found myself there as a last minute decision and then during the infamous Covid holiday cruise).  I’ve never encountered the negativity while sailing that you see here.  I also find that most cruisers we meet are not on Cruise Critic so I suspect that those who post here are not really representative of the guests you will meet sailing.  

• Like 1

Hobar, if people refrain from wearing jeans to the MDR as you do, I am perfectly happy. We can wear jeans to just about any restaurant in Southern California. While cruising, we like to feel like we are experiencing something special, different than what we do at home. I love that my wife gets a little dressed up and I try to complement her by looking my best. That would never include wearing jeans of any ilk, no more the price. 
We have enjoyed our many Seabourn cruises, but if the dress standards noticeably regress, it will have an impact on our cruise choices. 
BTW, the free laundry offered on Regent allows everyone to look nice all the time, it’s a great inclusion. 

• Like 2

We took our first SB cruise last month. There were jeans worn in the MDR. Some were what one might call questionable as to ‘dressy’ for certain. Actually no question.  That said, there were very few who did this, and IMO they stood out as a result. 
I think in hindsight I may have noticed this more because of reading these threads. I thought to myself, these are not fine jeans that look classy, these look like what DH would never wear out to dinner locally, nor would I. 
Then I realized that it wasn’t really impacting my meal. My time with DH. My total enjoyment of our time together. That was what counted. And I was grateful I was with whom I was. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

People, it's denim.

Fabric.  Not a nuclear device.

I find this topic is endlessly fatuous, however, I continue to happily anticipate my first cruise with Seabourn in September.

I wish you a great cruise.  The first is always so special.  

• Thanks 1

It will be our first SB cruise July 23 on the Ovation.   We don’t want to pack formal attire ( hubby Jacket and an extra pair of shoes, me formal dress and an extra pair of shoes) So, if I understand correctly, on formal night just the dining room is formal attire, NOT the entire ship. I have some casual dresses, slacks and blouses for the other nights. I guess my question is this. Can we enjoy the other dining venues and entertainment if we don’t dress in formalwear? I would have posted this in the dress code thread but it has been locked to comments and figured this may be the next best place to ask my question. 

15 minutes ago, imescaping said:

It will be our first SB cruise July 23 on the Ovation.   We don’t want to pack formal attire ( hubby Jacket and an extra pair of shoes, me formal dress and an extra pair of shoes) So, if I understand correctly, on formal night just the dining room is formal attire, NOT the entire ship. I have some casual dresses, slacks and blouses for the other nights. I guess my question is this. Can we enjoy the other dining venues and entertainment if we don’t dress in formalwear? I would have posted this in the dress code thread but it has been locked to comments and figured this may be the next best place to ask my question. 

You will be comfortable not dressed formally in the other dining venues on formal nights.  You can dine in the Colonnade, Earth and Ocean, Sushi or dine in your suite with room service.  You can enjoy entertainment that night as well.  On a 14 days cruise recently, we only dined in The Restaurant on formal night one time.  On the other formal night, we dined at Earth and Ocean.  

• Like 1

Glad Seabourn figured out it is the 21st century and things have really moved on and people 50 or less don't want to dress like their grandparents. Yeah back in the days things were always better...but I guess I am not in the nostalgic season of my life yet....Clean dark jeans especially those wonderful Japanese denim are great as they are very versatile and go with almost any decent shirt and blazer and make people look smart and modern.  I agree that smart casual is really what people wear in their prime of their career these days even in the office or at fancy occasions. True it is harder to dress smart casual than with a suit and it seems from my previous cruises that many non European do struggle with it. Not sure why my American friends love loose unfitted clothes and weird combos that much but unless someone is showing up in shorts and sandals at night I really have no issue with what they wear. 

On the Venture in Atlantica a couple of people were wearing Hawaiian shirts in the restaurant at night and it gave the place a relaxing fun atmosphere. And poorly dressed people are always great as a conversation starter 🙂 

If you re not determined to wear the usual blue denim, jeans in other colours, IMO, look fine and blend in.  Black, white, even bright colours - but I realise that the old light or mid blue colour is important to some people.

I'm ready to move on from worrying how people dress on a Seabourn ship.  While my husband always wears a sports coat to dinner in the restaurant, it is not important to us that others do the same. I think the real issue has become the fact that passengers come from different cultures--even if they are from the same country.  What is smart casual to some, is very dressed up to others.  What others wear as smart casual, some would not wear on a Saturday errand to the hardware store.  I don't think it really helps to criticize others and some just don't understand because in their world people dress like they do.  I could see this so clearly on our last cruise (which ended a bit over a week ago).  Jeans are the least of the issue. We met people from rural areas of the United States who didn't have a clue about smart casual. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Khareef said:

Glad Seabourn figured out it is the 21st century and things have really moved on and people 50 or less don't want to dress like their grandparents. Yeah back in the days things were always better...but I guess I am not in the nostalgic season of my life yet....Clean dark jeans especially those wonderful Japanese denim are great as they are very versatile and go with almost any decent shirt and blazer and make people look smart and modern.  I agree that smart casual is really what people wear in their prime of their career these days even in the office or at fancy occasions. True it is harder to dress smart casual than with a suit and it seems from my previous cruises that many non European do struggle with it. Not sure why my American friends love loose unfitted clothes and weird combos that much but unless someone is showing up in shorts and sandals at night I really have no issue with what they wear. 

On the Venture in Atlantica a couple of people were wearing Hawaiian shirts in the restaurant at night and it gave the place a relaxing fun atmosphere. And poorly dressed people are always great as a conversation starter 🙂 

We're the two in Hawaian shirts musicians or one of the acts?

Edited by Mr Luxury

2 minutes ago, Khareef said:

Well there was one very weird person wearing sneakers inside the sauna...which is quite disgusting health wise...

That's not good unless he had fat toes and was trying to lose weight off them.

Cruise food will get you anyway it can

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Luxury said:

That's not good unless he had fat toes and was trying to lose weight off them.

Cruise food will get you anyway it can

Only extra fat was well placed inside his head I think...funny thing we reported it immediately and the person in charge decided not to do anything about it 🙂

1 minute ago, Khareef said:

Only extra fat was well placed inside his head I think...funny thing we reported it immediately and the person in charge decided not to do anything about it 🙂

Staff do not like confrontation.

I don't mind it if it sorts things out 😁

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

We met people from rural areas of the United States who didn't have a clue about smart casual. 

That's funny - we've met people from Dallas who thought it was okay to wear a cowboy hat in the dining room.

13 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

That's funny - we've met people from Dallas who thought it was okay to wear a cowboy hat in the dining room.

I was twice at the table with a couple in their 40es that really had troubles holding the silverware...they look so awkward when trying to slice and eat food...my guess they would normally eat burgers and chicken wings and the likes of them. Very nice and friendly people btw, just knife and fork were not their cup of tea. As for me I am the one that always manage to hit and knock out the bottle of wine....so anyone goofier than me is very welcomed at my table 🙂

2 minutes ago, Khareef said:

I was twice at the table with a couple in their 40es that really had troubles holding the silverware...they look so awkward when trying to slice and eat food...my guess they would normally eat burgers and chicken wings and the likes of them. Very nice and friendly people btw, just knife and fork were not their cup of tea. As for me I am the one that always manage to hit and knock out the bottle of wine....so anyone goofier than me is very welcomed at my table 🙂

Let us know when you will be on a ship again.

I have my diary ready 😁

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

Indeed.

I have met people from America who think Tommy Bahama is formal wear.

• Haha 2

@Khareef the use of cutlery is very definitely a cultural thing. In the UK most tend to hold fork in left hand, knife in right and cut and eat food as they go along, resting cutlery on plate between mouthfuls 😁 I was intrigued to see others cut all their food up first and then proceed to eat with fork in right hand but realise now after having read various boards - that is correct etiquette where they live.

3 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@Khareef the use of cutlery is very definitely a cultural thing. In the UK most tend to hold fork in left hand, knife in right and cut and eat food as they go along, resting cutlery on plate between mouthfuls 😁 I was intrigued to see others cut all their food up first and then proceed to eat with fork in right hand but realise now after having read various boards - that is correct etiquette where they live.

They need to get out more 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

...Jeans are the least of the issue. We met people from rural areas of the United States who didn't have a clue about smart casual. 

DW & I will be taking our first Seaborn cruise in 2 1/2 weeks.

Being from a rural area in Washington state we presume this means we have to wear shoes.

• Haha 5