Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

6 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Did not mean any offense SLSD, This is a term I have heard applied in multiple places but first from a coworker many years ago who grew up on hundreds of acres of land, means a dude wears a big hat (or more often acts like a big shot in a place where the many people actually do own a lot of land, but addition to the land there needs to be something using that land, e.g. not just inherited and you act like a big shot)  was not implying that applied to you rather the wearing of a cowboy hat in a restaurant.  I used to spend a lot of time in Jackson Hole, there is a lot of $$$$$ there and a lot of big hat wearing pretenders.  

I am familiar with the words.  It actually means a person of little substance.  No offense taken.  

About people in rural areas.  I was not being critical--just saying that there is a different culture and what smart  casual means to someone who lives in the city is often different from what it means to those who live in rural areas.  As a case in point, we met  people on our recent cruise who were from a rural area and were indeed farmers.  They had brought denim jackets on the cruise (Norway) as their warmest layer.  They expressed concern about what people would be wearing.  They ended up buying down jackets at one of the ports.  Smart casual in a rural area is not the same as smart casual in the city.  Obviously, this may not be the same for people who have retired to a rural area from the city--but for people who have lived and worked in a rural area all their lives, there is a different culture.  People are going to interpret a dress code based on what they are familiar with.  So, it's a cultural thing.  Add to that the fact that mode of dress is not important to everyone and they may be stymied by what is expected of them on a luxury cruise.  I've seen it!  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

@2SailingNomads we have a similar saying in the UK 'all fur coat and no knickers' or in Glasgow 'Aw fur coat an nae knickers' which can mean full of air and graces but no substance underneath 😁.

@SLSD you are correct re interpretation - in the UK we don't really have 'country clubs' so using that phrase as a description of what to wear means nothing. It works when a description of what is acceptable as a minimum (and what is not) is included rather than using vague terminology then everyone is clear what is expected. Whether they then choose to abide by that is another matter 😜

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I was trying to draw a parallel between Hawaiian Shirts and Bermuda shorts and fear the joke may have been lost.😃

Ha!  That never occurred to me!  They probably wear Hawaiian shirts in Bermuda along with their Bermuda shorts!!  

27 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@2SailingNomads we have a similar saying in the UK 'all fur coat and no knickers' or in Glasgow 'Aw fur coat an nae knickers' which can mean full of air and graces but no substance underneath 😁.

@SLSD you are correct re interpretation - in the UK we don't really have 'country clubs' so using that phrase as a description of what to wear means nothing. It works when a description of what is acceptable as a minimum (and what is not) is included rather than using vague terminology then everyone is clear what is expected. Whether they then choose to abide by that is another matter 😜

The irony is that most country clubs are in cities--and in the middle of them at that!  I grew up in a fairly small town that had two country clubs.  They were actually out from town a bit, but these days are well within the city's limits.  There are a few country clubs in rural areas (near very small towns) and their dress code is more casual than the country clubs in the city from what I have observed.  In the US, a country club usually includes a golf course, tennis courts, swimming pools, and a couple of restaurant venues and facilities for weddings and large similar gatherings.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SLSD said:

"They probably wear Hawaiian shirts in Bermuda along with their Bermuda shorts!!"

Bermuda shorts are often worn as business attire in Bermuda, even though most people think of the shorts only in a casual context.

The complete outfit, in my opinion, would be fine for dining in a formal setting on a warm-weather cruise.

men-bermuda-shorts.thumb.jpg.13841f43cb92d4e422a6e3074e179cf5.jpg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Bermuda shorts are often worn as business attire in Bermuda, even though most people think of the shorts only in a casual context.

The complete outfit, in my opinion, would be fine for dining in a formal setting on a warm-weather cruise.

Love the knee socks...

I am afraid I think that the Bermuda outfit looks a bit odd; especially shorts with a blazer or fairly formal jacket.  I suppose you get used to it if you live there.  And knee socks with long shorts is what small boys used to wear for school in the UK, at least my son did, but they were grey flannel and somehow  looked fine on an 8 year old.  (Though a bit like Just William, with the school cap on).  I wonder if anyone today remembers Just William? I used to love  reading the books, and wished I was a boy at the time.

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I am familiar with the words.  It actually means a person of little substance.  No offense taken.  

About people in rural areas.  I was not being critical--just saying that there is a different culture and what smart  casual means to someone who lives in the city is often different from what it means to those who live in rural areas.  As a case in point, we met  people on our recent cruise who were from a rural area and were indeed farmers.  They had brought denim jackets on the cruise (Norway) as their warmest layer.  They expressed concern about what people would be wearing.  They ended up buying down jackets at one of the ports.  Smart casual in a rural area is not the same as smart casual in the city.  Obviously, this may not be the same for people who have retired to a rural area from the city--but for people who have lived and worked in a rural area all their lives, there is a different culture.  People are going to interpret a dress code based on what they are familiar with.  So, it's a cultural thing.  Add to that the fact that mode of dress is not important to everyone and they may be stymied by what is expected of them on a luxury cruise.  I've seen it!  

There is another interesting saying, "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

There is another interesting saying, "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Texas is full of all sorts of fun idioms.  My personal favorite is "That dog don't hunt."  a/k/a "That's a bad idea.".

And SLSD, I recall living one summer in Dallas in 1985 and being shocked at how women there (Highland Park of course) dressed up to go to the grocery store.  I was just a simple Kansas girl unaccustomed to such high society, LOL.

47 minutes ago, no1talks said:

This sort of thing is a much bigger deal, nowadays.

🫤

Yes, I knew I would get a reaction!  It didn't  last long,  by the time I was about 13 I decided I preferred staying as a girl.  It was all so much simpler then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

Texas is full of all sorts of fun idioms.  My personal favorite is "That dog don't hunt."  a/k/a "That's a bad idea.".

And SLSD, I recall living one summer in Dallas in 1985 and being shocked at how women there (Highland Park of course) dressed up to go to the grocery store.  I was just a simple Kansas girl unaccustomed to such high society, LOL.

We actually live in that area so I know exactly what you are talking about.  We moved to Dallas in the summer of 1986.  I remember one story.  My husband's law firm was having a summer party to entertain summer law clerks from the law schools.  The printed invitation said dress would be casual.  We experienced Dallasites knew that casual (back then) meant heels and pretty summer dresses.  One of the young women clerks arrived in blue jeans and a t-shirt--typical casual dress for a college student.  I remember her telling this story over and over again and how embarrassed she was.  Times HAVE changed and I wager that  at this summer's parties for law students, casual dress DOES mean jeans and (nice) t-shirts.   

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We actually live in that area so I know exactly what you are talking about.  We moved to Dallas in the summer of 1986.  I remember one story.  My husband's law firm was having a summer party to entertain summer law clerks from the law schools.  The printed invitation said dress would be casual.  We experienced Dallasites knew that casual (back then) meant heels and pretty summer dresses.  One of the young women clerks arrived in blue jeans and a t-shirt--typical casual dress for a college student.  I remember her telling this story over and over again and how embarrassed she was.  Times HAVE changed and I wager that  at this summer's parties for law students, casual dress DOES mean jeans and (nice) t-shirts.   

Did the summer associate still get a job offer?  🙂 

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Did the summer associate still get a job offer?  🙂 

Yes, and she told this story for years afterwards.  She was a sweetheart and a very good lawyer.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

The printed invitation said dress would be casual.  We experienced Dallasites knew that casual (back then) meant heels and pretty summer dresses.

LOL.  That could well have been me!  I remember a friend inviting me to join her in going to a nightclub in Dallas (I was a summer law clerk back then too) and I had on khakis and a polo shirt.  She had on a sequined dress.  She considered it "casual" because she didn't wear heels.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, no1talks said:

And can be formal wear. Did a bunch of biz there. Very interesting!

• Like 1

I fondly remember going many times to the lovely restaurant at Neiman Marcus in Dallas in the early to mid 80’s (I spent a lot of time in DFW area for work).Women who lunch would be there in dresses and pearls and lovely Chanel bags.  It was really nice to see and all these years later I have vivid memories of them.  Very elegant, perfectly coiffed.

On one of these trips my local team brought me to Billy Bob’s the next night after lunch at NM.  45 minutes apart and worlds away in experiences.  

BTW, what is this thread topic?  Oh, thats right, Jeans in the DR.  So what does everyine think 😂 

• Haha 1