Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 51

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, December 19 and Sunday, December 25.

Two weeks left in the year! If you haven't posted any pictures this year, get off your....uh, please do so!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  Chicago and parts of the Midwest are being hit super hard with snow and super COLD today.  Lots of flight delays, etc.  Friday/tomorrow, it hits us in Ohio as this storm moves east.  It's real killer blizzard.  

In the holiday spirit, below are a few of my visuals from our Columbus Zoo having their annual "Wildlights" display.  Over a million lights!!  Our grandsons were here from Virginia for this past week and we took them to enjoy this visual treat.  Like?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

From Columbus Zoo and its "Wildlights" displays earlier this week in Central Ohio.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.48ec9d00e297515704d5b2c8e5633b23.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c9c5599331818e171a32582b19e8d8b1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e7ac349940b2bc37335f0a4da123680.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bef61a86b00fb03cb9c2a42cf6151bbe.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6369ce6a7065011c369bc9495c6293be.jpeg

• Like 6

Christmas Eve found us up in the High Desert to see what Pastor Dan and his staff had put together. Our son’s Christmas message was an inspirational reminder to never lose the ability to view the world through the eyes of a child, without the cynicism and pessimism that the harsh realities of adulting can infect us with. To me, that loss of that perspective is the root of virtually all the problems in the world. If you forget how to see the beauty around you, all you see is the ugly. A fantastic version of The Little Drummer Boy was the highlight for me, though I had to smile at having everyone sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and blow out their candles at the end of the service as a clever way to punctuate the message of the day.

Merry, Merry!

560203012_2022-51MerryMerry.thumb.jpg.c3461f609f684dc7d31d43408df655ae.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

I was thrilled to learn we'd have our coldest Christmas likely in forever, at least in the last 30 years...don't get too many chances to enjoy cold down here in S. Florida.  Christmas Eve was overcast and grey, so not the best light, but with a high temp of 54 I had a wonderful 8 mile walk through the levees of the western Wellington wetlands spots, then over to my local wetlands grounds - so amazing to walk 10 miles and come home without a drop of sweat!

Unfortunately, Christmas Day which had an even-lower high temp of only 47, was constant drizzle and rain, as was the Monday holiday at 52 and constant, all-day rain - so Christmas Eve was the only day I was able to get out and shoot:

A usually very secretive bird, this sora came out in the open as I passed by:

original.jpg

Dozens of these little cruise missiles were buzzing just above the water, catching bugs...the tree swallows are incredibly difficult to pan with as they fly really fast and erratic:

original.jpg

The river otters seemed to genuinely love the cold - they were hopping and playing and rolling around on the levees and jumping in and out of the water:

original.jpg

Unfortunately, they'd run quite suddenly and I didn't always have the right shutter speeds to freeze them:

original.jpg

Something seemed very interesting to this group of ring-necked ducks - they were all watching intently.  I've only seen ring-necked ducks 2 other times:

original.jpg

The long-billed northern shovelers were also hanging around, like this female:

original.jpg

A great blue heron flying by, showing off his wingspan:

original.jpg

Another sneaky little bird that let me get pretty close without running and hiding - a male least bittern:

original.jpg

• Like 7

On 12/27/2022 at 3:25 PM, zackiedawg said:

I was thrilled to learn we'd have our coldest Christmas likely in forever, at least in the last 30 years...don't get too many chances to enjoy cold down here in S. Florida.  Christmas Eve was overcast and grey, so not the best light, but with a high temp of 54 I had a wonderful 8 mile walk through the levees of the western Wellington wetlands spots, then over to my local wetlands grounds - so amazing to walk 10 miles and come home without a drop of sweat!

Unfortunately, Christmas Day which had an even-lower high temp of only 47, was constant drizzle and rain, as was the Monday holiday at 52 and constant, all-day rain - so Christmas Eve was the only day I was able to get out and shoot:

A usually very secretive bird, this sora came out in the open as I passed by:

original.jpg

Another sneaky little bird that let me get pretty close without running and hiding - a male least bittern:

original.jpg

I have seen both at Wakodahatchee, a few years ago.  Both are plentiful, but do not like to be out in sight.  As always, great shots!

On 12/25/2022 at 9:51 AM, pierces said:

Christmas Eve found us up in the High Desert to see what Pastor Dan and his staff had put together. Our son’s Christmas message was an inspirational reminder to never lose the ability to view the world through the eyes of a child, without the cynicism and pessimism that the harsh realities of adulting can infect us with. To me, that loss of that perspective is the root of virtually all the problems in the world. If you forget how to see the beauty around you, all you see is the ugly. A fantastic version of The Little Drummer Boy was the highlight for me, though I had to smile at having everyone sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and blow out their candles at the end of the service as a clever way to punctuate the message of the day.

Merry, Merry!

560203012_2022-51MerryMerry.thumb.jpg.c3461f609f684dc7d31d43408df655ae.jpg

Dave

Another PPD?  (Proud Pastors Dad)  My Granddaughter calls him Pastor Daddy.

• Like 1