They took my cabin away

cruisinmeme

I booked a sail away balcony recently. After a few days I got my cabin number. Did my check in Saturday night and nothing had a number on it. Found out inventory dept had blocked that cabin.  So now I wait for new assignment. Must of been a real disaster if it was blocked for maintenance. We don’t sail till January 8th.

just glad to know I am not nuts and I did actually see a cabin number at one point.

8 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

I booked a sail away balcony recently. After a few days I got my cabin number. Did my check in Saturday night and nothing had a number on it. Found out inventory dept had blocked that cabin.  So now I wait for new assignment. Must of been a real disaster if it was blocked for maintenance. We don’t sail till January 8th.

just glad to know I am not nuts and I did actually see a cabin number at one point.

What ship?

29 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Breakaway Jan 8

Same cruise as me.

Their are a number of balcony cabins still available on deck 14 and 13 and a number of aft balconies.

Better they blocked the cabin if they found it had a problem they couldn't fix Before you got in it.

Edited by Laszlo

9 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Same cruise as me.

Their are a number of balcony cabins still available on deck 14 and 13 and a number of aft balconies.

Better they blocked the cabin if they found it had a problem they couldn't fix Before you got in it.

well we are getting close.

if I had to be on deck 14 it was a good location. If I was doing the redular thing and picking a cabin I would t of picked deck 14. This was a last minute thing. My daughter and granddaughter will be on deck 9.

BTW how can you tell where the empty cabins are. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Did they tell you that it was "blocked for maintenance?"

Actually it was the sweet lady at NCL that I always use that called the help desk. They just told her the room had been blocked by inventory dept. No explanation. 

• Like 1

@cruisinmeme - if you don't mind, perhaps you want to share partial info about the balcony statement that NCL just blocked & took away from you, without necessary disclosing the exact cabin number but at least whether it's port or starboard side, aft, mid or forward, i.e. Room #1454x or similar.  Is it one of the few connecting cabin or possibly an accessible stateroom ??  Angled balcony ?? 

If there are serious maintenance and plumbing issues, I can see the cabin being blocked off for 3+ weeks, starting now or very recently.  There are qualified plumbers & electricians onboard that should be able to address most minor problems like a clogged or blocked grey or black water line ... which typically affect not a single cabin or two, rather an entire section and/or corridor of rooms running along the line & serviced by it.  

Let's chase down the mystery reasons behind unassigning the cabin after it was "given".  Regardless, happy cruising ! 

51 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

if I had to be on deck 14 it was a good location. If I was doing the redular thing and picking a cabin I would t of picked deck 14. This was a last minute thing. My daughter and granddaughter will be on deck 9.

You can do a mock booking of the cruise. I saw about 2 dozen left, looks like our cruise will be sold out   : (  

Edited by Laszlo

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

@cruisinmeme - if you don't mind, perhaps you want to share partial info about the balcony statement that NCL just blocked & took away from you, without necessary disclosing the exact cabin number but at least whether it's port or starboard side, aft, mid or forward, i.e. Room #1454x or similar.  Is it one of the few connecting cabin or possibly an accessible stateroom ??  Angled balcony ?? 

If there are serious maintenance and plumbing issues, I can see the cabin being blocked off for 3+ weeks, starting now or very recently.  There are qualified plumbers & electricians onboard that should be able to address most minor problems like a clogged or blocked grey or black water line ... which typically affect not a single cabin or two, rather an entire section and/or corridor of rooms running along the line & serviced by it.  

Let's chase down the mystery reasons behind unassigning the cabin after it was "given".  Regardless, happy cruising ! 

It was cabin 14786. It was an assigned cabin. I believe it had the pool above it or pretty close. 

14 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

It was cabin 14786. It was an assigned cabin. I believe it had the pool above it or pretty close. 

Got it - went to cruisedeckplans dot com for a closer look and use their helpful Cabin Check Tool to see what's directly above & below, etc. - this is odd, not a connecting stateroom, not accessible designated cabin, it sleeps 3 with sofa closest to the starboard side balcony.  It is somewhat near the pool but definitely not below and plumbing related, unless there are other major lines running overhead (no white space) and it is below the sundeck (Deck 15).  One deck below are just more balcony staterooms, hmmm - maybe, other plausible reasons, more of those now excluded as probably causes.  

42 minutes ago, hallux said:

OP booked a sail-away, I'm going to agree with the above...

Wonder why they gave it to me from the get go. Can’t say i am the lease bit upset so that is a plus. Just wonder who would have so much pull to bump someone out of it.

agree with Bird Travels 3 weeks is a long time for any repairs. 

49 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Someone wanted the room and took it. The OP's voyage is too far in the future to be a maintenance issue. 

Partial charter?  We once got booted from an inside (NOT sail away - I picked the cabin) up to a suite.  This was on Celebrity and happened only a day or two before the cruise.  Once we boarded we could see what was going on.  Large groups made up of largely first time cruisers who likely would have been upset to be separated from their leaders.

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

If that cabin holds 3 and they're only a party of 2, and someone comes along with a group of 3... then it makes sense to bump someone who didn't pick a particular cabin and give them a room meant for only 2.

I think that once happened to us on Princess. They said the cabin was being taken out of inventory, but it did have passengers.

Except, that bank of 8 midship balcony cabins ("BA" categories) supposed to be designated for occupancies only ... I thought they all have the convertible sofabed, which quickly become the 3rd berth.  There isn't a 4th dropdown bed dropping down/recessed into the ceiling.  "Mystery" move continued and deepen. 

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

If that cabin holds 3 and they're only a party of 2, and someone comes along with a group of 3... then it makes sense to bump someone who didn't pick a particular cabin and give them a room meant for only 2.

It makes since but I am traveling solo so seems they would have given me a cabin for two only not 3 or 4.  Honestly I haven’t even checked to see how many it holds

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Partial charter?  We once got booted from an inside (NOT sail away - I picked the cabin) up to a suite.  This was on Celebrity and happened only a day or two before the cruise.  Once we boarded we could see what was going on.  Large groups made up of largely first time cruisers who likely would have been upset to be separated from their leaders.

Now wouldn’t that be dandy.lol

it is just me so doubtful. My daughter and granddaughter are on deck 9. 
I can tell you right now if that happened my daughter would want to trade cabins

10 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

What make you think that it must HAVE been a maintenance issue?

7 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Why would you not HAVE picked deck 14?  I like that deck actually.