Is Smart Attire what in the US we call Business Casual?

LB_NJ

I know this has been asked before but still want to get clarification for my cruise to Alaska.

Gala seems pretty clear, I bring my black tux, white shirt, cufflinks, black satin tie.

For smart attire I plan on chinos (blue and/or tan) and a dress shirt (the type one would wear with a suit but not white), no tie. 

Black shoes, the same for both Gala and Smart Attire nights.

Breakfast and lunch:  long pants (possibly clean jeans, not ripped) and a clean dark colored t-shirt or a rugby shirt depending on how warm it is, and sneakers or boots.

I just want to be clear about the current state of affairs, not start any wars.

Simple answers would be appreciated.

• Like 1

From what I saw on a recent QM2 crossing, what you are planning fits into 'smart attire'. 

We had the luggage space, so I also brought a vest and a jacket [and one of the few QM2 ties seen in the wild] so some of my 'smart attire' nights were a bit more dressed up. Mrs Bear thought the combination of dress shirt, vest, black jeans and black boots looked very nice on non-formal nights.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just off QM2 on TA in QG. I saw very few men (count them on one hand) who didn’t wear a jacket at night. Very few men not wearing a tux on gala nights, I only counted 1. I reiterate that this was in QG. We definitely saw fewer jackets on deck 2. I agree that luggage capacity is a huge issue. I am the poster child for don’t take too much, Rick St… probably has a picture of me trying to get all of the luggage into the hired car with a slogan, “don’t be this kind of traveler.” But, we will make sure there is a tux and a suit when we sail next time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Thank you for all the answers.

Out of curiosity do people dress up more on trans-Atlantic then other cruises?

For Gentlemen they most certainly do. Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic crossing are far more dressy ( I've lost count of how many I've done, so speak with a wealth of experience 😉)   

Cruising in warm weather ( eg Caribbean ) is a  different matter .  

Edited by Bell Boy

I tend to wear chinos on a non formal night with a collared shirt and jacket. Very occasionally wear a tie if the mood takes me . I do like slipping on a jacket as I feel a bit more dressed up but plenty prefer not to.

this is on both transatlantic on QM2 and cruises out of Southampton on QV.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, LB_NJ said:

I know this has been asked before but still want to get clarification for my cruise to Alaska.

Gala seems pretty clear, I bring my black tux, white shirt, cufflinks, black satin tie.

For smart attire I plan on chinos (blue and/or tan) and a dress shirt (the type one would wear with a suit but not white), no tie. 

Black shoes, the same for both Gala and Smart Attire nights.

Breakfast and lunch:  long pants (possibly clean jeans, not ripped) and a clean dark colored t-shirt or a rugby shirt depending on how warm it is, and sneakers or boots.

I just want to be clear about the current state of affairs, not start any wars.

Simple answers would be appreciated.

Looks fine to me. Called "smart casual" in UK; basically NOT jeans and some sort of collar for the evenings is fine. I wore a (good condition) polo shirt sometimes, so doesn't have to be a dress shirt

On 12/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Fits in perfectly well with dress code.

Translating for us across the pond, a vest in USA is what we  Brits call a waistcoat.  Whilst to us Brits a vest is underwear for under a shirt to keep warm in winter.

Don't get the conversation started on to what "pants" means on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Someone dressed in UK "vest and/or pants" would definitely be turned away from any restaurant, anywhere

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Looks fine to me. Called "smart casual" in UK; basically NOT jeans and some sort of collar for the evenings is fine. I wore a (good condition) polo shirt sometimes, so doesn't have to be a dress shirt

I think the code does actually say dress shirt

My husband and I were planning to eat at the buffet, as it was the last night and we thought we would wear the same clothes to travel home in. However it was so crowded I said - let’s see if they let us in to the main restaurant dressed as we are.

I had some canvas jeans style trousers and slip on sandals with a T shirt. He had cargo type chinos, trainers on his feet and a polo shirt.

Let us in no questions asked. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WoorimBeachLady said:

My husband and I were planning to eat at the buffet, as it was the last night and we thought we would wear the same clothes to travel home in. However it was so crowded I said - let’s see if they let us in to the main restaurant dressed as we are.

I had some canvas jeans style trousers and slip on sandals with a T shirt. He had cargo type chinos, trainers on his feet and a polo shirt.

Let us in no questions asked. 

So you won?

11 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Still says dress shirt under what to pack

It does indeed - but somewhere it says "collared shirt" - or at least it did and they've changed it back.

Before my crossing in October I saw "collared shirt..."

There were conversations about the relaxation here on the boards!

Interesting - I suspect they may have been trialling it and have reverted to original requirements/suggestions

Edited by buchanan101

15 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

It does indeed - but somewhere it says "collared shirt" - or at least it did and they've changed it back.

Before my crossing in October I saw "collared shirt..."

There were conversations about the relaxation here on the boards!

Interesting - I suspect they may have been trialling it and have reverted to original requirements/suggestions

You are not imagining it. I remember it around the middle of last year. In fact on our crossing and then summer cruise last year noticed onboard that collared non-dress shirts being worn on non formal nights.

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

There are so many  versions of dress code hard to keep up with changes, and differences between different parts of website 

Yes, it would be nice if they could keep the website consistent.  I still plan on wearing a dress shirt on smart attire evenings.  

FYI, if you look at the photos next to the "smart attire" description it has gentleman in a jacket without a dress shirt.

On 12/29/2022 at 12:23 PM, navybankerteacher said:

So you won?

Well yes I guess. We weren’t scruffy but it wasn’t our usual attire. And we were prepared to leave if the Maître’d didn’t like the look of us.

First night at Britannia dinner also seemed to be a lot of people in their travel clothes.

On 1/1/2023 at 5:56 AM, WoorimBeachLady said:

First night at Britannia dinner also seemed to be a lot of people in their travel clothes.

Back in the "old days" every night was formal. Except for the first and last nights. That's because your steamer trunk wouldn't have been delivered yet (or it had been taken in preparation for disembarkation).

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 6:41 AM, frankp01 said:

Back in the "old days" every night was formal. Except for the first and last nights.

I should point out, however, that people traveled in outfits far more formal than now. On the QE2, 'informal' meant jacket and tie.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:41 AM, frankp01 said:

Back in the "old days" every night was formal. Except for the first and last nights. That's because your steamer trunk wouldn't have been delivered yet (or it had been taken in preparation for disembarkation).

I can 't imagine flying over the pond with a steamer trunk to lug around.