Is Smart Attire what in the US we call Business Casual?

LB_NJ

49 minutes ago, NE John said:

I am still working on Wall Street in NYC and I see dress codes certainly dumbed down. Especially younger people in the business who should dress for the professional role. Managers encourage dress down all week too. 
How are these people going to be motivated to go on a wonderful Cunard voyage to dress up?

I am a ardent supporter of the Cunard dress code and wear suit/tie at work; I feel very comfortable on-board and in the office properly dressed. My first time in QM2 Queen’s room for Formal Night (2008) was a great experience and hate to see that experience dumbed down. 

Our Main Reason we Love and are attracted to Cunard and the QM2....

Boarding again soon....

On 1/9/2023 at 4:32 AM, Port Power said:

Just don’t board in shorts and thongs!  That applies to every cruise line.

Certainly not on every cruise line. I've sailed in NCL's Haven three times in the last year (another coming up in March). We board in flippie floppies (I suppose that's what you mean by thongs, not the uhh...plural of undies), t-shirt, and shorts. That is our uniform for the cruise as we're on vacation. We're also obviously not about to go on Cunard where our desired dress is unwelcome. Just figured I'd correct the record.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:19 AM, Windsurfboy said:

All I can suggest is try wearing a tie and a shirt with a proper collar every day for a week and see what you think 

This is exactly why we don't dress up while on holiday. We wear the shirt, tie, jacket every day for work.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, exlondoner said:

But surely it doesn’t have to be, if it fits properly and isn’t too tight. That’s what I find mystifying, though I admit wearing a tie means you have to get up a little earlier, which is never good.

I no longer shave as I have a beard, however even a properly fitted collar will rub against a just shaved neck and aggravate the neck, whether after shave was used or not. My beard does occassionally rub against the collar and sometimes a beard hair will get stuck in the button/button hole (I haven't figured that one out yet). Alas, it's certainly not comfortable, especially if the temperature is above 60 F as I'll break out in sweat. Dressing up is not comfortable for those of us that need the Arctic chill. 

59 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

if the temperature is above 60 F as I'll break out in sweat

We've had that quite a bit recently for outdoor temperatures. We need several extra layers to cope.

My cat would leave home if we allowed that sort of temperature indoors!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You may be more comfortable on a different cruise line.   Several sail from NY or NJ with a much less formal dress code, NCL, RCL, and Celebrity come to mind.

Yes, absolutely! I do travel NCL, but come over here to see what's happening every now and then. The Cunard product is interesting to me. I'd consider going at some point, if I could convince my husband to go, but he's even more in the comfortable cruise wear than I!

I was just merely pointing out that one is able to wear shorts, t-shirts, and flippie floppies on NCL at all times, even in the Haven. We just avoid the couple specialty restaurants that require pants and a button up shirt.

Happy sailing to all, regardless of line!

On 12/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, LB_NJ said:

I know this has been asked before but still want to get clarification for my cruise to Alaska.

Gala seems pretty clear, I bring my black tux, white shirt, cufflinks, black satin tie.

For smart attire I plan on chinos (blue and/or tan) and a dress shirt (the type one would wear with a suit but not white), no tie. 

Black shoes, the same for both Gala and Smart Attire nights.

Breakfast and lunch:  long pants (possibly clean jeans, not ripped) and a clean dark colored t-shirt or a rugby shirt depending on how warm it is, and sneakers or boots.

I just want to be clear about the current state of affairs, not start any wars.

Simple answers would be appreciated.

Having done QM2 crossings in 2019 and 2022, I'd say that it's now more relaxed, with more people wearing business suits for formal nights and skipping the jacket for regular nights (the latter of course used to be mandatory but now isn't).  Everyone was perfectly presentable but post-pandemic there does seem to be less rigour over dress codes.

One can wear anything but swimwear in the day on Cunard.

On non formal nights, ie  5 out of 7, a jacket and tie is completely optional.

On formal nights a suit and tie is accepted,  but why not go for a TUX. If you reject either of those then it's the buffet and some bars on formal nights 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

On formal nights a suit and tie is accepted,  but why not go for a TUX. If you reject either of those then it's the buffet and some bars on formal nights 

A Cunard Ship is about setting the feeling "After 6".

It does matter once you are on board and see it for yourself especially the evenings called Gala.

You don't get the same feelings on a busy, hustle  & bustle cruise ship. Not the same at all!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

A Cunard Ship is about setting the feeling "After 6".

It does matter once you are on board and see it for yourself especially the evenings called Gala.

The "feeling" is what the dress code is for..

Cunard believe a smart shirt and trousers are completely acceptable on non gala nights, clearly that is what they want.. On a Cunard ship It's only Cunard who specify the dress code. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The "feeling" is what the dress code is for..

Cunard believe a smart shirt and trousers are completely acceptable on non gala nights, clearly that is what they want.. On a Cunard ship It's only Cunard who specify the dress code. 

True, but also a guest can, if wished, read the evening dress code as a minimum standard, being free to dress above the published guide.  There are no ‘rules’ for above, only below.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

True, but also a guest can, if wished, read the evening dress code as a minimum standard, being free to dress above the published guide.  There are no ‘rules’ for above, only below.

True , but the decision to dress above the dress code is a personal one. It's  not  up to other passengers to intimate that by *just" following the dress code you are not properly dressed , and areignoring some unwritten Cunard spirIt/feeling. Anyone's personal preferences are irrelevant.

There is no such thing as just following the dress code, you are or you aren't. Like a speed limit 70 mph on a motorway is as legal as 50 mph.

The OP asked if a dress shirt and smart trousers were fine on a non formal night. The answer to that is SIMPLY YES. Not yes but true Cunarders ........

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Understand you have posted a very personal opinion.
But in this case one does not agree with it.  

Ditto......Agree with your honest opinion. We feel that whatever other passengers wore did not affect us and we enjoyed ourselves.

4 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Ditto......Agree with your honest opinion. We feel that whatever other passengers wore did not affect us and we enjoyed ourselves.

I have almost no personal interest in clothes, and dress appropriately on formal nights because it is what people should do. Nonetheless I often enjoy seeing those who like dressing up looking glamorous on formal nights. So in that sense what others wear does affect me

24 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have almost no personal interest in clothes, and dress appropriately on formal nights because it is what people should do. Nonetheless I often enjoy seeing those who like dressing up looking glamorous on formal nights. So in that sense what others wear does affect me

As I have seen on many other postings, To Each Is Own.....

Passengers make their voyages what they feel comfortable either with who they meet, what they wear and what they do....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

As I have seen on many other postings, To Each Is Own.....

Passengers make their voyages what they feel comfortable either with who they meet, what they wear and what they do....

I’m sure there are quite a number who enjoy the spectacle of formal nights, don’t you think?