Scenic Mekong Review, December 31, 2022-January 10, 2023

terry&mike

30 minutes ago, worcestergal said:

What an amazing experience you’re having!  It’s been such a vicarious treat for me. 😁

What will you be doing when you get off the ship? Are you doing Scenic-lead activities in HCMC?

I’m happy to hear you are enjoying the posts. 

We have been to HCMC previously (January 2020), so will not being doing any scripted touring there. We will leave the Scenic program after disembarkation tomorrow, with a complimentary drop off at the Caravelle Hotel (the hotel Scenic uses).  We will then make our way to the Silverland Yen Hotel, a couple blocks away. 

Our plan is to stroll through the nearby large market, relax, maybe get massages, wander. We also hope to meet up with Xuan Le for dinner or beverages, he is a Vietnamese tour guide (and awesome person) we met in 2020, and have remained in touch with. 

5C454AC1-5004-470B-A6A0-FB3B173D071C.jpeg

This morning we traveled by Sampan boat on the Sa Dec River to a wet market. This is a thriving local market filled with color and activity. On offer are live fish and chickens, beautiful vegetables, rice, eggs, crabs, and so many things. 

We then visited the home of the French writer Margarite Duras, who wrote the book ‘The Lover’ about her time living their. 

We departed the ship at 8:30a and were back at 10:15a. 

Lunch today is foods from around the world. 

This afternoon is a free choice tour, and hubby and I will be having tea at a French villa. The other tour was ‘Mekong Exploration’. 

BC330C49-B7AA-4C42-81A2-2A74A06AC7C0.jpeg

02522806-02C0-4BA6-8A38-76605172E468.jpeg

7B1422CE-C609-4479-8214-34E23AA9B32E.jpeg

CA55CB8E-96AF-4001-AC11-8713FB8AC1FF.jpeg

D3225FD4-9C6B-486B-81DE-253CE73D7EF7.jpeg

Originally, 8 people signed up for the tour Tea at French Villa and Cultural Entertainment, but only Mike and I went. Everyone else cancelled in order to pack, or to nap, so we had a private tour - felt very VIP. 

It was a lovely French villa from about 1930, and the performers were truly wonderful. It was a great excursion. We left the ship at 2:45p, and returned around 4:30p. 

Tonight’s dinner was the Gala Farewell Dinner, and it was one of our favorite meals, which is saying a lot as the food has been outstanding. 

We enjoyed caviar, risotto, mushroom soup, lobster, chateaubriand, and chocolate desserts. All incredible!  Wow. 

55817807-A6B6-443E-8A81-707FEE1F6BD1.jpeg

5594B1D9-19B4-49F9-B302-ED7A8ED20528.jpeg

99C0BF0A-8782-4A7A-A970-B6A045C2D946.jpeg

AA965A79-FB20-42EB-B917-28C88749522A.jpeg

• Like 1

This sounds like a wonderful trip, and fully up to the Scenic standard we experienced in France.  It's too bad that their website issues are giving them such a black eye, because the onboard experience is fabulous!

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This sounds like a wonderful trip, and fully up to the Scenic standard we experienced in France.  It's too bad that their website issues are giving them such a black eye, because the onboard experience is fabulous!

I fully agree. This is our second time on Scenic and their onboard (and on land) product is superior to any other river cruise product we have sailed. But their web site and administrative side before the trip can be amazingly frustrating and not customer friendly. 

• Like 1

Last night was our Gala Farewell Dinner and it was over the top wonderful. Sevruga Caviar, Seared Foie Gras, Mushroom Cappuccino, Truffled Red Wine Risotto, Green Apple Sorbet, Chateaubriand, Lobster Veloute, Sense of Wonder dessert featuring chocolate and Bailey’s flavors. 

This morning we depart the ship at 8:15a in My Tho, Vietnam. We will have an approximately 2 hour transfer in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam, where we will be dropped off at the Caravelle Hotel. This will end our official program with Scenic. 

A460245F-FA2C-4FB8-ADDE-FAF99A722D72.jpeg

420F4F1C-5406-449A-BFE9-E3CF4C2BDDAD.jpeg

ED0C2960-76FE-4020-9FAC-E31C91F5D57D.jpeg

2C1CAD41-B520-4B3B-A8EB-48D34F935D70.jpeg

992BE5CD-54E2-4C9E-A4EA-09F00CF5B1E3.jpeg

5638DBC3-A314-4293-816B-5195FE0CB793.jpeg

01CEAEAB-4BC9-44C3-8E16-F4FF5BA3B2AF.jpeg

34DB65CC-CE69-4B03-87BD-E61E8D1EAF41.jpeg

• Like 1

This trip with Scenic has exceeded our expectations. We could not have asked for more. It’s been such a special journey. 

We will always remember the genuine smiles and great care from the people of Cambodia and Vietnam. They are worth the trip in themselves. In addition, the Mekong River has its own magic with rustic villages, fishermen in small boats, and water hyacinths. The food in the area is some of the best in the world, with clear and full flavor sets that have your mouth singing. If this trip is one you are considering, then I encourage to go ahead with it, and travel it with Scenic. 

I took a moment yesterday to look for a river cruise itinerary we haven’t done, and it looks like the Saone River, sailing from Lyon, France, is about all we have left. We’ve been in this area while traveling independently on land, but never on a ship. If anyone has any thoughts on this itinerary, I’d love to hear them. 

83DB119C-6246-422B-84A2-A5E522B383CA.jpeg

4A722131-2763-430A-98B8-9AA6FFC53A47.jpeg

• Like 1

I did the Rhône (with a very little bit of the Saône) on AMA, Lyon to Arles, as my second river cruise trip.  It was very good, but when I later looked at Scenic's itinerary (which with more days is able to go further up to Saone), I thought it looked even better.

For help choosing among the excursions, you might want to look at my blob of the AMA cruise:

AmaDagio Provence 9-2015

jazzbeauxfranceblog.wordpress.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I did the Rhône (with a very little bit of the Saône) on AMA, Lyon to Arles, as my second river cruise trip.  It was very good, but when I later looked at Scenic's itinerary (which with more days is able to go further up to Saone), I thought it looked even better.

For help choosing among the excursions, you might want to look at my blob of the AMA cruise:

AmaDagio Provence 9-2015

jazzbeauxfranceblog.wordpress.com

Oh, nice! Thank you for providing the link. I will certainly have a read. 

• Terry and Mike:

Thank you for letting all of us follow along with you.  We fly in the morning from Singapore to Hanoi, then to Siem Reap late Friday afternoon.  Our Scenic program starts Saturday evening.

We will try and pick up with a new thread, but don't see how we can add much to your incredible travelogue.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, geoffieg said:
  • Terry and Mike:

Thank you for letting all of us follow along with you.  We fly in the morning from Singapore to Hanoi, then to Siem Reap late Friday afternoon.  Our Scenic program starts Saturday evening.

We will try and pick up with a new thread, but don't see how we can add much to your incredible travelogue.  

I’m so excited for your upcoming journey! Enjoy and cheers! Wishing you safe and happy travels. 

We have with Scenic traveled the Soane and Rhône twice both times starting at Chalon—sur-Soane. They start from Lyon now. This picture was taken just as we arrived on board of NB Trund - ling - Along, we were at the time just thinking of selling our narrowboat. 
image.thumb.jpeg.26fa643cf96655e1e5175c0ad61b7c6c.jpeg

We managed to fit in all the excursions that we couldn’t do the first time around and a few extras. This cruise stops at the only place in France that my DH would move to live in tomorrow the beautiful town of Viviers.  When we went it was a superb mixture of wine, history, art and beautiful scenery.

• Like 1

We departed the Scenic Spirit in My Tho, Vietnam at 8:15a. We had one bathroom stop along the way and arrived at the Caravelle Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City at 10:30a. 

At this point, we said our goodbyes and split from the group. Some were headed to the airport, some were staying on at the Caravelle independently, some were staying on at the Caravelle as part of a continuing Scenic program. 

Mike and I, along with another couple, walked 15 minutes to the Silverland Yen hotel, located very close to the main market. We were all allowed to check in early. Interesting that in all the thousands of hotels here, they were staying in the same one as us. The hotel is well located and well rated, and offers a great value with nice rooms with breakfast and afternoon tea with snacks included. We paid about $158 total for 2 nights. 

Our dear friend, and likely one of the best guides in Vietnam, Xuan Le, came by a little after 5p. We went for sunset and craft cocktails at the Chill Sky Bar, then for a great dinner of seafood curry, duck breast, and lamb burger at Chanh Rooftop Bistro; all walkable from the hotel. 

We were fortunate to meet Xuan Le when traveling with friends in Vietnam in January 2020. He flew to meet us and guide us for tours in Hoi An and DaNang, and Ho Chi Minh City. He is one of the best guides I have ever encountered in my travels. Enthusiastic, knowledgeable, fun. 

3100B38A-5637-40FA-A0DE-DAA889E42966.jpeg

F8460BD8-1734-4DDA-9F37-6F2D6E8CB0A3.jpeg

1093D60E-301F-48FF-9CBC-E3D321B4C197.jpeg

C3B15113-96AE-41AE-8C71-1383D78E58A7.jpeg

3B915EA7-2B81-402A-BB4D-FE1D05866165.jpeg

• Like 1

👋Helloooooo terry&mike!!!

Wow wow wow!!! How did I just see this now??

Your travel blog is absolutely AMAZING!!! Truly outstanding. I feel like I have been to Asia and back and I don't have a lick of jetlag.😃

Thank you so much for posting all about your journey.

This is a trip I would absolutely love to take one day.

Your pictures and commentary made it so real.

One day when hubs is retired I hope we can go.

Loved all your pix too.. your dress and Mike's tux are fabulous.

Thank you for sharing the smiles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sleep7 said:

👋Helloooooo terry&mike!!!

Wow wow wow!!! How did I just see this now??

Your travel blog is absolutely AMAZING!!! Truly outstanding. I feel like I have been to Asia and back and I don't have a lick of jetlag.😃

Thank you so much for posting all about your journey.

This is a trip I would absolutely love to take one day.

Your pictures and commentary made it so real.

One day when hubs is retired I hope we can go.

Loved all your pix too.. your dress and Mike's tux are fabulous.

Thank you for sharing the smiles.

I’m so happy you enjoyed it. I did a post this morning about Ho Chi Minh City, but it is waiting approval from the moderator, so should be available shortly. 
We are headed home soon, so will be wrapping it up, unless there are some questions. 
It has been a great journey filled with cultural wonder, great food, and kind hearted people. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

I’m so happy you enjoyed it. I did a post this morning about Ho Chi Minh City, but it is waiting approval from the moderator, so should be available shortly. 
We are headed home soon, so will be wrapping it up, unless there are some questions. 
It has been a great journey filled with cultural wonder, great food, and kind hearted people. 

Very odd: the post was flagged by the bot because you used a banned word, but that word wasn't anywhere in your post.  Great post by the way, and wonderful food pics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Very odd: the post was flagged by the bot because you used a banned word, but that word wasn't anywhere in your post.  Great post by the way, and wonderful food pics.

That’s funny, because now you have me so curious as to what the banned word could have been!

This morning we walked to the nearby Ben Thanh Market, to Central Park, to Reunification Palace, and around HCMC a bit, mostly just for a bit of exercise. 

We have returned to the hotel for a rest, and this evening we will head to the Saigon Airport to begin the journey home. 

Our first flight is Saigon SGN to Tokyo Haneda, 11:45pm - 6:50am (+1), on JAL. Then HND to DFW Dallas, 10:55am - 7:25am, also on JAL. Then DFW to TPA Tampa, 11:14am - 2:29pm, on American. All in Business Class, and all currently showing on time, so hopefully a smooth trip. 

C8836200-C0FD-4FA4-B91F-930E99634808.jpeg

5BA3125F-8C85-42CF-B3DC-7A49434269C6.jpeg

DFA27D1F-CC4A-4638-A830-5E5611CF21C0.jpeg

3E1CD030-5AD3-4DFA-96FF-40643F82B751.jpeg

222BBF6F-39B0-40E1-B95C-A5DBB9DFF17F.jpeg

A63CD179-C078-4285-8F9A-5B7B94CF318A.jpeg

54FB7E6C-42A2-4DD0-99AB-E90A72EEB4CF.jpeg

I certainly hope Scenic have seen your cruise report as I and it would seem many others found it very very interesting and informative. Wonderful!

We don’t seem to be having any challenges with Scenic in the U.K. Although big decision at the moment completely new kitchen or river cruise.

• Like 2

Welcome home to you both!  I must tell you again how much I’ve enjoyed all the descriptions and photos of your trip. I’m sure I will return to your blog many times as I look forward to our SE Asia trip with Scenic in March 2024. Thank you again for sharing your trip!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I certainly hope Scenic have seen your cruise report as I and it would seem many others found it very very interesting and informative. Wonderful!

We don’t seem to be having any challenges with Scenic in the U.K. Although big decision at the moment completely new kitchen or river cruise.

That's a difficult decision!

15 hours ago, worcestergal said:

Welcome home to you both!  I must tell you again how much I’ve enjoyed all the descriptions and photos of your trip. I’m sure I will return to your blog many times as I look forward to our SE Asia trip with Scenic in March 2024. Thank you again for sharing your trip!

I am excited for your journey next year!

Thank you so much for your in-depth review...  We are doing this cruise with Emerald in February - and it will be interesting to see how much (or how little) the "little sister" to Scenic emulates the itinerary.  Some of your included excursions are optional for us - so it will help us decide whether or not we want to spring for the extras.

We have travelled with Scenic a couple of times in the past (Tulip Time cruise, the Danube - Budapest to Nuremberg and Eastern Europe - including Transylvania) and have always been pleased with them. 

We have friends who are considering doing this itinerary in the future - with Scenic - so I will make sure to show them this thread.

Fran

• Like 1