Carnival Corporation Axing Three Ships

tring

Just now, Britboys said:

Sorry - that one's lost on me...

Because Aurora has a dining area mid-ships, there's decks where you can't walk from one end to the other.   At the time, had an elderly parent on tow, who also didn't do enclosed lifts.  The walk up to the Orangery 😕.  I was just about needing oxygenated

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2022 at 9:12 PM, showingdiva said:

The three names that keep cropping up on the speculation list across the web are Costa Magica, Costa Fortuna and AIDAaura

The second part of the sale list solved.   After news that AIDAaura is leaving at the end of the 2023 season, now Costa Magica has been sold to Seajets (who also bought and laid up Oceana).

Edited by showingdiva
  • Thanks 2

On 1/5/2023 at 11:58 PM, showingdiva said:

Because Aurora has a dining area mid-ships, there's decks where you can't walk from one end to the other.   At the time, had an elderly parent on tow, who also didn't do enclosed lifts.  The walk up to the Orangery 😕.  I was just about needing oxygenated

Just wondering but have you confused your ships?

Aurora doesn't have an Orangery. The only restaurant that may present the problem you mention is the Alexandria restaurant at the rear of deck 6 and that is because the galley is sandwiched between it and the Medina restaurant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AchileLauro said:

Just wondering but have you confused your ships?

Aurora doesn't have an Orangery. The only restaurant that may present the problem you mention is the Alexandria restaurant at the rear of deck 6 and that is because the galley is sandwiched between it and the Medina restaurant.

The buffet on Aurora was originally called The Orangery (going back several years now) before it was renamed Horizon after a refit.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, showingdiva said:

The second part of the sale list solved.   After news that AIDAaura is leaving at the end of the 2023 season, now Costa Magica has been sold to Seajets (who also bought and laid up Oceana).

Wonder if they will ever use her! Presumably like Oceana and all the others they’ve brought, just holding onto them until a better offer comes along. 

1 hour ago, Jack McGowan said:

Wonder if they will ever use her! Presumably like Oceana and all the others they’ve brought, just holding onto them until a better offer comes along. 

That seems to be the basis of their business, certainly post-pandemic, either to other companies or waiting until the price of scrapping is right.

Don’t think P&O will lose another ship just yet, but I feel it won’t be long before all the smaller ship are gone in the P&O fleet. As it hits far more profitable to run newer bigger ships. And Carnival will most likely have just one or two brands using smaller ships at a much higher price. 

I do like the bigger ships but it a shame in a way as it nice to have the choice of ship sizes, but I always found the service better on smaller ship and they can get into places the big ship can’t go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamiebarnzy said:

I always found the service better on smaller ship and they can get into places the big ship can’t go. 

There lies the problem with big ships, not only can they not get into some smaller ports they are now being refused into some of the bigger ports due to size and passenger restrictions. It is fine for some holidays where the ship is the destination but not so good for people where the itinerary is important. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

There lies the problem with big ships, not only can they not get into some smaller ports they are now being refused into some of the bigger ports due to size and passenger restrictions. It is fine for some holidays where the ship is the destination but not so good for people where the itinerary is important. 

I feel that the realty will be that small ship with the service and being able to go into smaller less busy with other cruise ships along with the little touch which people misses on P&O and other lines or is now pay extra will be still be around but they reserve for the luxury and premium end of the market at much higher cost then what P&O charges and main stream cruise lines will all be bigger ships. Or we see more ship within a ship like grill class on Curand to justify the higher prices for suite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have said for a while that this cruising bubble will come to an end, is this the begining of the end which the cruise lines have brought upon themselves?  Perhaps another whole thread there, but must admit I am not particularly bothered given the chsnges.  It is very understandable that ports are wanting to restrict cruise passengers, given the effect cruising is having in quite a number of places.

The "luxury ships", which all seem to be about 60,000 ton, are big compared to what we have mainly travelled on pre pandemic.  Two of those in the same port is still a whole load of people and many of the itineraries are still fairly "run of the mill" for those of us who have been cruising for a while.  It is probably only the expedition ships that will continue to go to really less well trodden places, and even then the environmental restrictions are increasing all the time and I understand quite a number of those ships are currently being built, so what happens with them in a few years?

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jack McGowan said:

I’d like to see another Royal class come over from Princess, but can’t see it being likely. If anything I guess they may transfer a grand class in the future. 

It's interesting to read that P&O Australia will be adding water slides to the two Grand class ships they are receiving from Princess. I still think that with Arvia doing the Catibbean in winter and the Med in summer that P&O have missed a trick with her build.

10 hours ago, Flocat said:

Not sure how accurate this is, but I just saw on YouTube that Aurora isn't being sold and will have a major refit in 2025. As I say not sure how accurate this is but let's hope it's correct! 

Wow - I hope so 🤞 which YouTube channel ?

With the IMO tightening emissions from 2025 reducing the sulphur content of fuel down to 0.1% for ships in the Med, wonder how much this will affect the running of the older ships in the P&O & othered fleets. At a guess very low sulphur fuel is much more expensive than what is currently in use?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

With the IMO tightening emissions from 2025 reducing the sulphur content of fuel down to 0.1% for ships in the Med, wonder how much this will affect the running of the older ships in the P&O & othered fleets. At a guess very low sulphur fuel is much more expensive than what is currently in use?

That is interesting, new information to me, but not surprised. 

Edited by tring

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

No an IMO requirement, which the EU and other non EU in the Med will be putting in place by May 2025.

https://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/pages/MEPC-79.aspx

Just re-read your post and realised you said IMO, which I did not recognise at first, but DH did.  Hence edited my post to remove the question, but you kindly beat me to it - thanks for the link.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

No an IMO requirement, which the EU and other non EU in the Med will be putting in place by May 2025.

https://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/pages/MEPC-79.aspx

There is a 4 minute video explaining the changes and their expected effect, which can be clicked through to from the underlined words "cleaner air" in the article link to above.  NIce and simple with pretty pictures, so my sort of thing 🙂 

If I am understanding your link correctly, similar (possibly the same) controls are already effective, or being applied to other areas - "the Baltic Sea area; the North Sea area; the North American area (covering designated coastal areas off the United States and Canada); and the United States Caribbean Sea area (around Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands)."

There is a 4 minute video explaining the changes and their expected effect, which can be clicked through to from the underlined words "cleaner air" in the article link to above.  NIce and simple with pretty pictures, so my sort of thing 🙂 

Edited by tring