Canada Pricing

dolfan1980

7 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

It could be that you pay in American  dollars and your bank (credit card company) will convert on your statement.

If you need a conversion tool, here is one. 

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=CAD&To=USD

However, it may not be the exact rate that your bank gives  you.

I can do the conversion too, but it just sucks to have to think that way.  Try booking in Pesos or something and you'll understand.  NCL and Royal both offer Canadian pricing on their sites.  Carnival seems to only have US and Australia for some strange reason.

I agree, it can be frustrating but sometimes the rates used by Royal and NCL for their Canadian prices are not very good. We were looking a one Royal cruise recently and the implied exchange rate Royal was using looked like about 60 cents when the official rate was 73.5 cents. I was far cheaper to book in USD and then convert than to pay though Royal in Canadian dollars (for that cruise at least. I wasn't checking every other cruise's  pricing).  Other times the rate through Royal is much better than the official rate, so it's nice (and profitable) to have the option. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

10 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I agree, it can be frustrating but sometimes the rates used by Royal and NCL for their Canadian prices are not very good. We were looking a one Royal cruise recently and the implied exchange rate Royal was using looked like about 60 cents when the official rate was 73.5 cents. I was far cheaper to book in USD and then convert than to pay though Royal in Canadian dollars (for that cruise at least. I wasn't checking every other cruise's  pricing).  Other times the rate through Royal is much better than the official rate, so it's nice (and profitable) to have the option. 

MSC requires you to book on the Canadian website with Canadian pricing that is much higher than the US rate even with conversion. It’s frustrating. 

52 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

MSC requires you to book on the Canadian website with Canadian pricing that is much higher than the US rate even with conversion. It’s frustrating. 

Interesting. Have you tried using a VPN with a U.S IP address and/or a U.S. dollar credit card?

17 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Interesting. Have you tried using a VPN with a U.S IP address and/or a U.S. dollar credit card?

MSC specifies that US prices are for US residents only regardless of your IP address location.

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

VPN not necessary.  I  can make it all the way through booking. But you need to provide a US address to book and it clearly says it’s for Us residents only. I was worried it might get cancelled when I put in my passport info. 

On 12/22/2022 at 8:20 PM, dolfan1980 said:

Is there a way to get the Carnival website to give pricing in Canadian dollars?  Can't get Canadian pricing on the Carnival site and can't seem to get $50 deposits on third party sites.  Frustrating!

I phone Carnival to book in CDN. Have never seen where I can do it on their website.  Royal Caribbean can do both, wonder why Carnival won’t?  
I’m not sure you will get the $50 deposit in CDN bookings though. At least they keep any OBC in US funds.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I don’t book in Canadian. I book in USD and my credit card does the exchange of the day for me. This way I get the onboard credits,  (in USD), the cheaper deposits.  Have never had a problem.  Still, if money is a concern you can convert yourself.  I also pay on the Carnival Easy Pay program that bills my credit card monthly. Greatest invention ever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BandTsMom said:

I don’t book in Canadian. I book in USD and my credit card does the exchange of the day for me. This way I get the onboard credits,  (in USD), the cheaper deposits.  Have never had a problem.  Still, if money is a concern you can convert yourself.  I also pay on the Carnival Easy Pay program that bills my credit card monthly. Greatest invention ever.

I tend to book in Canadian $$. I still receive the OBC in U.S. $$, that doesn’t change and neither does the deposit. The CDN equivalent of the U.S. deposit is quite comparable.  I love the Easy Pay system, use it all the time.   
It’s the dropping CDN dollar that is a bummer. My one EP monthly payment is $36 U.S. per month….which started out converting to about $50 CDN…..now it’s up above $60 CDN.  My cruise is getting more expensive as time goes on.  And the B of C is putting interest rates up again.  Will see what happens..might be better off paying in full.

I book through a travel agent in CDN dollars. I get OBC in U.S. dollars. This way I know the price of my cruise & it doesn't fluctuate with the dollar. I have a U.S. Visa and Bank Acct. When the dollar is better I buy U.S. $'s bank it & pay for my U.S.  Visa purchases hotels/cars/excursions from that account.

I find it worry free..