One More Newbie Platinum Question - dropping off luggage in room

groundloop

SO.... I'm a brand new Platinum and just boarded Magic.  I was foolish enough to make a big deal to my family about being able to drop off our luggage in the cabin before exploring the ship.  Lo and behold we went to the cabin after boarding and it's locked, couldn't even get in with my sign and sail card so we're lugging our sodas and bags around just like before.  What gives?

(I wasn't going to hunt down a cabin steward to let me in, I'm sure they've got their hands full).

Edited by groundloop

1 minute ago, groundloop said:

SO.... I'm a brand new Platinum and just boarded Magic.  I was foolish enough to make a big deal to my family about being able to drop off our luggage in the cabin before exploring the ship.  Lo and behold we went to the cabin after boarding and it's locked, couldn't even get in with my sign and sail card so we're lugging our sodas and bags around just like before.  What gives?

(I wasn't going to hunt down a cabin steward to let me in, I'm sure they've got their hands full).

Well, no one on this board can let you into your cabin...🙂  Just ask one.  If they can let you in, it will take them all of 30 seconds.

That is unusual and NEVER protocol, and/or there were issues with your key cards. It was something done by your attendant. If the door is closed that is GENERALLY an indication the attendant is finished with your cabin and you can take your keycards from the mail slot, open the door, drop your hand carry luggage, and be on your way. TBH if the door is closed you can actually stay in your cabin since again, the closed door is an indication that the room is completed.

• Like 2

We've only found our cabin one of two ways. 1) Door wide open w/ no keys yet.  We then drop and go. 2) Door locked with the keys tucked in appropriate spot.  We retrieve keys, open door, put our stuff in and generally go.  Anything else is indicative of a 'problem' (like maybe keys that don't work properly). 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

With the electronic key cards, they can control to the min when they work, so maybe they are doing that to attempt to cut down on the folks that are trying to bogard the cabins when they don't have first access privileges.   

Perhaps.  Be interesting if they can flip a switch for the Dia/Plat but not the Gold/Red/Blue. If they can that's pretty sophisticated.  My gut tells me that they simply just don't put the non Dia/Plat cards out until 1:15p.

Edited by jsglow

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

Never had this happen, seems you might have had a bad S&S card. The only obstacle we ever have had was the hallway doors closed. But you can just open them up and drop your luggage off.

Our cards worked fine when we returned to the cabin at 1:30, so not a card problem.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Our cards worked fine when we returned to the cabin at 1:30, so not a card problem.  

So that's really interesting ground and would seem to suggest that someone hadn't flipped the Dia/Plat switch on the computer.  Thanks for breaking new ground here! Enjoy your cruise.

17 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I've had the same experience, got there a bit early and the cards didn't work, waited the few min and then they worked. Controlled assess would be my guess as well.  

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I've had the same experience, got there a bit early and the cards didn't work, waited the few min and then they worked. Controlled assess would be my guess as well.  

I highly doubt their system is sophisticated enough to separate Priority vs non and the more likely explanation was the room wasn't activated for the new keys/new sailing. I've had that happen many a times with the wifi, especially on B2Bs

We are platinum and were on the Glory for a 14 day cruise 11-27-2022. We were one of the first to board and went straight to the room, got our cards and did not work. A maintenance worker was close by and tried his and work. The room steward came and his worked as well. Was told to go to GS where 2 new cards were made and all was good. They later came on the intercom and told everyone new cards were being made, not a great start.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, kwokpot said:

I highly doubt their system is sophisticated enough to separate Priority vs non and the more likely explanation was the room wasn't activated for the new keys/new sailing. I've had that happen many a times with the wifi, especially on B2Bs

There absolutely is a 'new cruise ON switch' somewhere.  That's when the bartender's computers turn back on using all the new folios.  Anyone who does a B2B sees that first hand and it's why many ships do the mimosas for the B2B guests.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

The OP is Platinum so they have priority. Did you read their post? If it causes a delay by being in the hall, well that's on Carnival to resolve.......

Thank you.  I was mostly just disappointed because I'd been bragging to the family about all the great benefits of being Platinum.   

You'd think Carnival would standardize things such as this across the fleet instead of leaving customers on their own to figure things out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Thank you.  I was mostly just disappointed because I'd been bragging to the family about all the great benefits of being Platinum.   

You'd think Carnival would standardize things such as this across the fleet instead of leaving customers on their own to figure things out.

I don't blame you for being disappointed and it should be standardized. Part of the concept of going on vacation is the idea of things being easier and more smoothed out for the client. That's part of what the client pays for. I love Carnival and I love sailing with them but I don't work for their marketing or HR departments nor am I a blind cheerleader. I expect them to follow through with what they've agreed to, just as they expect with me. I would have just left my luggage in the hall, against the door to my room. If it was a minor traffic issue it would be easy for an attendant to open my door and roll them in. 

44 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I am pretty sure it is standardized. You had a small, uncommon hiccup here, and did not want to "bother" anyone to get it rectified.  Stuff happens.  For well over 99% of passengers this week, this perk worked just fine.  I am sorry this happened to you, but I don't think it's fair to use your extremely uncommon experience to slam the program as a whole.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

Where is it listed that platinum level allows you to go to stateroom before its announced that rooms are ready?    

I didn't feel like searching Carnival. com lol so here's a screenshot of the email from Carnival to me regarding my cruise on Saturday. 

Screenshot (776).png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

I didn't feel like searching Carnival. com lol so here's a screenshot of the email from Carnival to me regarding my cruise on Saturday. 

Screenshot (776).png

Priority check in not available for Journey's Cruise.  Bummer.  

19 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

Screenshot (776).png

I stand corrected, I had no idea, I was going by whats listed on their website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davechipp74 said:

Where is it listed that platinum level allows you to go to stateroom before its announced that rooms are ready?    

It is not listed as a platinum/diamond benefit, which of course is a source for confusion. FTTF lists early luggage drop off benefit, and states that this also applies to platinum/diamond, but wouldn't it be nice if we didn't need to play interwebs detective. Like maybe just print instructions for us on our boarding pass.

platinum_luggage_drop_off.jpg

• Like 2