maybe I'm amazed

complawyer

i certainly agree that as a free enterprise (no relation to the starship) ncl or any ongoing business can set their prices at whatever the market will bear. my complaint is that they continually advertise a sale, when in actual effect, the prices (1) do not change (2) the free excursions are in reality $50 off the 1st person on the booking, and the excursion is only really "free" for that person if the actual cost is $50 or less.

on the + side, however, i recently found out about the 10% military discount and when i go to do a mock booking, the 10% is reflected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

But your OK with fraudulent advertisements by a large corporation?  The government is doing NOTHING about setting the price ... they're just saying you can't advertise non-existent specials!

The cruise line can charge what they want!

I'm fairly certain that the cruise line has hired many lawyers to examine the legality of their products and their advertising.

The only ones who are confused by this advertising are those who do believe that such a thing as a 'free lunch' does exist. Anytime anyone tells you something is 'free', they have their hand in your pocket.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i certainly agree that as a free enterprise (no relation to the starship) ncl or any ongoing business can set their prices at whatever the market will bear. my complaint is that they continually advertise a sale, when in actual effect, the prices (1) do not change (2) the free excursions are in reality $50 off the 1st person on the booking, and the excursion is only really "free" for that person if the actual cost is $50 or less.

on the + side, however, i recently found out about the 10% military discount and when i go to do a mock booking, the 10% is reflected

And, my TA deducts another 8%.

Of course, there are some who would complain that all passengers should pay the same rate for the same cabin. Equity and all that.

• Haha 1

To borrow from the thread title, what is really amazing is that FDR was up front in announcing in 2015 that NCL would be moving from price-to-fill to market-to-fill, and here we are...on the precipice of 2023...and the educated cruisers of CC are STILL evaluating things from a price-to-fill mindset.

Of course, given that NCL implemented freestyle more than 20 years ago and we still discuss formal nights, maybe it isn't so amazing after all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, complawyer said:

the prices haven't changed at all?

On 12/24/2022 at 12:16 AM, complawyer said:

it looks like ncl just jacked up the original prices, and cut them down to normal claiming a sale.

We cruised on (on an NCL competitor) three times earlier this year. Prices are two people (inside cabin) including port fees, taxes, and gratuities (but not excursions).

First cruise: 7-day  Cozumel/Costa Maya/Roatan) was $895 ((129/.

Second cruise: (7-day Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel) was $614.

Third cruise: (7-day Alaska from Seattle) was $1225.

Upcoming NCL: (10-day eastern Caribbean) will be $1917

Which cruise line had the real sale?

On 12/23/2022 at 11:42 PM, SeaShark said:

Once again people are "amazed" to learn that there is no difference between buy one get one free and 50% off.

New cruisers and those who are new to cruise critic.... likely are genuinely amazed....