Costco or Walmart in Lahaina, Honolulu, or Kona?

chubbypiggy

Just a little Google mapping would answer your questions. The Costco and Walmart on Maui are near the Kahalui port, not the Lahaina port...45 or so minutes away.

The Costco in Honolulu is about a 1.5 miles from the Aloha Tower. Walmart is a little over 2 miles.

Kona's Costco is over 4 miles away, outside of town. Walmart is about a mile away.

Walmarts and Costcos have websites that give you locations and directions. Google Maps backs those up and helps you visualize where these things are.

16 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Anyone knows if there is a Costco or Walmart near the cruise port (Princess ship) in Lahaina, Honolulu, or Kona?

I guess the other question would be what are you trying to accomplish? There's also a large Safeway/pharmacy in Lahaina that we use for most things. We only go out to Costco when we need things in large format. 

19 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I guess the other question would be what are you trying to accomplish? There's also a large Safeway/pharmacy in Lahaina that we use for most things. We only go out to Costco when we need things in large format. 

Many years ago, a co-workers went to Hawaii, and brought back to the office a few boxes of  delicious Hawaiian chocolate with nuts.  He said he bought it at Costco there, and was told that particular kind of Hawaiian chocolate with nuts package is only being sold in Hawaii.  I am retired and no longer have contact with that co-worker.  I will be going on a cruise next April with 3 Hawaii ports.  Since I will disembark in my home city, so no flight involved, therefore, I would love to buy many boxes of those sweets to bring home for my family and friends.  

25 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would be researching to see if the brand is still available, and then go forward with planning how to acquire it. If you are talking about chocolate covered macadamia nuts, they are sold everywhere.

I think the brand is either Mauna Loa or Hawaiian Host.  It is not just the chocolate covered macadamia nut that you can easily buy anywhere; I never saw that kind in California.  And according to my co-worker, that kind only available in Hawaii.  I don't remember the exact name of that "kind".

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I think the brand is either Mauna Loa or Hawaiian Host.  It is not just the chocolate covered macadamia nut that you can easily buy anywhere; I never saw that kind in California.  And according to my co-worker, that kind only available in Hawaii.  I don't remember the exact name of that "kind".

I've seen Hawaiian Host in SF area Costco; think they're manager specials, comes and goes.

Thank you for the replies.  I have quite often seen Hawaiian Host and Mauna Loa being sold in Costco in California; but has never seen the particular "kind" that my co-worker brought back from Hawaii that he said only being sold in Hawaii.

So, mainly I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a Costco or Walmart by the cruise ports of Honolulu or Maui or Kona?

2. Anyone knows if there is a "kind" of chocolates covered nuts (by Mauna Loa) that only being sold in Hawaii?

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for the replies.  I have quite often seen Hawaiian Host and Mauna Loa being sold in Costco in California; but has never seen the particular "kind" that my co-worker brought back from Hawaii that he said only being sold in Hawaii.

So, mainly I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a Costco or Walmart by the cruise ports of Honolulu or Maui or Kona?

2. Anyone knows if there is a "kind" of chocolates covered nuts (by Mauna Loa) that only being sold in Hawaii?

Thank you!

Answered question #1 extensively in the second post.

As I said in the earlier answer, the Costco in Honolulu is only a couple of miles from the cruise terminal and easy to get to because cabs and Uber are easily available. You can even take The Bus (HNL Transit).

The link below should help.

https://tastyislandhawaii.com/2018/07/04/costco-made-in-hawaii-eats-7-18-update/

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

As I said in the earlier answer, the Costco in Honolulu is only a couple of miles from the cruise terminal and easy to get to because cabs and Uber are easily available. You can even take The Bus (HNL Transit).

The link below should help.

https://tastyislandhawaii.com/2018/07/04/costco-made-in-hawaii-eats-7-18-update/

Thank you so much for your link!  Just found out a friend will be in Kona for a week with a rental car, luckily during the time that we will be at Kona port.  He said he will show us around and will take us to Costco before taking us back to the tender pier. 

On 12/24/2022 at 1:51 PM, chubbypiggy said:

Not to strip away the romanticism here but the Mauna Loa brand chocolate covered macadamias can easily be bought online direct from them. Several different varieties. 

https://www.maunaloa.com/collections/chocolate-covered-macadamias-1

If you are flying Hawaiian Airlines at any point during your trip they are also sometimes served aboard in small packet format. 

While cacao is grown in Hawaii (Dole has the largest farm and its located on Oahu's North Shore), and there are several very good artisan chocolate makers on the islands (mainly on Oahu and sold in Honolulu-- try Manoa while you're there), in all likelihood the chocolate used here is mass produced somewhere else given the quantities needed. The macadamias are local through which is really the point. 

I could be (and hope) I'm wrong in this case, but even for chocolatiers that produce on the islands the local supply of cacao isn't enough and typically needs to be supplemented with cacao brought in from South America and the DR. My wife made me sit through a presentation at Manoa one time which is the reason I'm even conversational in the minutiae on this. 

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not to strip away the romanticism here but the Mauna Loa brand chocolate covered macadamias can easily be bought online direct from them. Several different varieties. 

https://www.maunaloa.com/collections/chocolate-covered-macadamias-1

If you are flying Hawaiian Airlines at any point during your trip they are also sometimes served aboard in small packet format. 

While cacao is grown in Hawaii (Dole has the largest farm and its located on Oahu's North Shore), and there are several very good artisan chocolate makers on the islands (mainly on Oahu and sold in Honolulu-- try Manoa while you're there), in all likelihood the chocolate used here is mass produced somewhere else given the quantities needed. The macadamias are local through which is really the point. 

I could be (and hope) I'm wrong in this case, but even for chocolatiers that produce on the islands the local supply of cacao isn't enough and typically needs to be supplemented with cacao brought in from South America and the DR. My wife made me sit through a presentation at Manoa one time which is the reason I'm even conversational in the minutiae on this. 

Thank you for the information.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jeno said:

What is the name of the “ Hawaiian Walmart” in Honolulu? I’ve heard about this, but never been there. 

I don't understand the question. Walmart in Hawaii is Walmart.

If you mean is there a Hawaiian version of Walmart (big box store, everything in one place), the answer is no.

10 hours ago, jeno said:

I’ve been searching. I’m wondering if they were referring to Don Quixote? Has anyone been there? 

It's Don Quijote and it is just a grocery store like Safeway or Foodland, albeit with an Asian bent. It is nothing like Walmart. It replaced the 99 Ranch Market when it closed down.