Dress code for black tie nights in Britannia restaurants

oAlgo

Hi, we´re doing (B2B) the fjords and Baltic in may 2023 on Britannia.
I´m not a fan of having to wear a suit, might wear it once or twice, but seems like we´re going to have quite a few black tie nights (maybe 6 in total?), and that for me would be a bit of a pain.
The website says that you don´t have to wear one for the buffet (also not a fan), but I think I remember somebody saying that you can also dine somewhere else.
I was thinking of going on some of these days to the Glass house and/or Beach house, as I doubt Sindhu or Epicurean will allow it.
I will be wearing smart (dark) jeans, formal shirt and dinner jacket, just no suit or tie.
Will they allow me into any of these restaurants?
Also, where could we have a drink afterwards, not that bothered about shows, but would be nice to have a relaxing drink even if it´s not in the Crows nest.

TIA!!

1 hour ago, oAlgo said:

Hi, we´re doing (B2B) the fjords and Baltic in may 2023 on Britannia.
I´m not a fan of having to wear a suit, might wear it once or twice, but seems like we´re going to have quite a few black tie nights (maybe 6 in total?), and that for me would be a bit of a pain.
The website says that you don´t have to wear one for the buffet (also not a fan), but I think I remember somebody saying that you can also dine somewhere else.
I was thinking of going on some of these days to the Glass house and/or Beach house, as I doubt Sindhu or Epicurean will allow it.
I will be wearing smart (dark) jeans, formal shirt and dinner jacket, just no suit or tie.
Will they allow me into any of these restaurants?
Also, where could we have a drink afterwards, not that bothered about shows, but would be nice to have a relaxing drink even if it´s not in the Crows nest.

TIA!!

Currently on Britannia and they are being quite strict on the rules (Good!).  Brodies can wear shorts etc...Non formal nights smart jeans can be worn in dining rooms - emphasis on smart.  On formal nights 90% have been DJ and suits. Pleasantly surprised they are doing their best to uphold the code.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kevcharben said:

6 black tie nights??

Normally a max of 2 per formal nights for each 7 nights duration

I don't think you will be allowed access (at lest youshouldnt be) without a tie on formal evenings.

Agree with this if it’s 7 days(b2b) you are doing it be the first sea day then another 2-3 days later. 

You will also find if not in a suit you won’t be able to access the MDR.

The Glass house, Beach House, Sindhu, normally smart casual can’t remember about the Epicurean. 

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kevcharben said:

6 black tie nights??

Normally a max of 2 per formal nights for each 7 nights duration

The first cruise is seven nights, so two formal nights. The second cruise is fourteen nights, so four formal nights. Therefore, six formal nights.

--------------

OAlgo, you'll probably find the dress code adhered to on formal nights for the MDRs, Epicurean and the Crow's Nest.  You'll be fine in smart clothing in the Glass House, Beach House. Not sure about Sindhu.

Edit:

On a previous Britannia cruise we ate in Sindhu on Valentine's Day, which was a formal night. We were dressed up, but others were wearing shirt and ties, and some had on shirts without ties. That though was in the Caribbean.

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answers!!

I´ll ask reception as soon as I get on board and will book the Glass house and Beach house for some of the formal nights if I can get away with DJ and smart jeans or chinos, and will probably book the Epicurean for the 2 nights I will wear a suit.
On my last cruise on Azura the black tie night was a total chaos in one of the MDR´s, felt really stupid to have to dress up for a bad dinning experience.

On 12/26/2022 at 6:40 PM, oAlgo said:

Thanks for the answers!!

I´ll ask reception as soon as I get on board and will book the Glass house and Beach house for some of the formal nights if I can get away with DJ and smart jeans or chinos, and will probably book the Epicurean for the 2 nights I will wear a suit.
On my last cruise on Azura the black tie night was a total chaos in one of the MDR´s, felt really stupid to have to dress up for a bad dinning experience.

I really wouldn't bother packing a DJ if you are going to wear it with jeans or chinos. Smart casual nights don't require a jacket to be worn and a suit would be fine for formal nights.

• Like 1

We are currently on Britannia for the Christmas cruise. In our first week we went to the Epicurean on one of the formal nights. I saw a couple turn up to check in for their meal. She was nicely dressed. He had a red polo shirt and casual trousers. He was sent packing by the front desk a nd returned about 20 minutes later with a shirt and jacket on and decent trousers. Do these people not read what the advice was in the Horizon? However, I was impressed that the front desk took the right approach.

• Like 6

Just now, thedriver23 said:

Quick question - assume the formal night rules are the same across the fleet.

Would a 14 year old be expected to wear a jacket and tie.

TIA

If he is young looking he might get away with it. Otherwise I would say yes.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Why is everyone so emphatic about having to dress up on these nights and P&O taking a hard line with those who don’t?

I couldn’t care less what other people wear. When there’s no difference in the offerings in the restaurants on board it all seems rather pointless anyway.

44 minutes ago, andyS87 said:

Why is everyone so emphatic about having to dress up on these nights and P&O taking a hard line with those who don’t?

I couldn’t care less what other people wear. When there’s no difference in the offerings in the restaurants on board it all seems rather pointless anyway.

First and last response to this

Some roads have a 30 mph rule and some 60 mph. You pick which route suits you best when deciding how to get to your destination.

Once you've picked a route you keep the rules that you've accepted when driving on it.

Simple

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, andyS87 said:

Like you, I couldn’t care less what other people wear. We prefer smart casual, and for that reason, we ‘dodge’ the formal evenings. I hope that there will be even fewer formals in future years, but it’s not something that bothers us one way or another. 

Recently, we’ve been watching a few programmes from Amazing Hotels - Life Beyond the Lobby. Interesting to see that smart casual is the way of things in many of these fabulous hotels such as Reid’s Palace in Madeira. No stuffy DJs or even ties required! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Goodness, was there a reason you dragged up this old thread from ages ago?

Asking for a friend!

ps there is a starred thread in the index with loads of dress comments.

Tell your friend that I’ve recently booked a P&O cruise so was wondering about the dress code. Didn’t realise there were so many fellow cruisers who felt so strongly about how other people choose to dress, hence the question.

16 hours ago, andyS87 said:

You might not care - but others do - so perhaps consider what other passengers prefer.
A lot of people like a more formal atmosphere occasionally - some don’t -  but if you don’t want to adhere then go to a non formal restaurant/bar that night.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, andyS87 said:

Tell your friend that I’ve recently booked a P&O cruise so was wondering about the dress code. Didn’t realise there were so many fellow cruisers who felt so strongly about how other people choose to dress, hence the question.

Dress code details are on the website.

44 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

You might not care - but others do - so perhaps consider what other passengers prefer.
A lot of people like a more formal atmosphere occasionally - some don’t -  but if you don’t want to adhere then go to a non formal restaurant/bar that night.

That makes sense, thanks for explaining 

• Thanks 1

I’ve commented on this before.  But in summary:

- I respect those that want to do formal night.

- I respect those that do not want to do formal night. 
- I respect and abide by the decency rules and regs as I would do at all times. 
- if you don’t want to do formal night you don’t have to.  It isn’t mandated.  I did two weeks on Britannia last year and didn’t take formal wear full stop. 
- you do need to accept some areas of the ship are off limits.  Crows Nest, main restaurant, epicurean etc are formal only.  Some others bars were formal only.  Buffet, pub, Beach House were mixed and you could go in non-formal. 
- you will not stand out by not wearing formal on formal night but you will probably be in the minority. 
- my food doesn’t taste any different whether I am in formal or not. 
- no one has yet told me their food tastes any different whether you are are in formal or not.

- it is my holiday.  I go to enjoy myself and switch off.  I do not want to do formal night.  I don’t have to do formal night.  I accept there are parts of the ship I cannot access on formal night. 
- those in formal wear are as jovial as those in non-formal wear as in my experience.  I enjoyed a meal in the Beach House in non-formal next to a table of formal wear and they were very rowdy.

- do what makes you happy and comfy and don’t worry about what others think or do.  If people want to get wound up by me not wearing formal then let them.  It’s not my problem, pick yer battles and all that!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

I’ve commented on this before.  But in summary:

- I respect those that want to do formal night.

- I respect those that do not want to do formal night. 
- I respect and abide by the decency rules and regs as I would do at all times. 
- if you don’t want to do formal night you don’t have to.  It isn’t mandated.  I did two weeks on Britannia last year and didn’t take formal wear full stop. 
- you do need to accept some areas of the ship are off limits.  Crows Nest, main restaurant, epicurean etc are formal only.  Some others bars were formal only.  Buffet, pub, Beach House were mixed and you could go in non-formal. 
- you will not stand out by not wearing formal on formal night but you will probably be in the minority. 
- my food doesn’t taste any different whether I am in formal or not. 
- no one has yet told me their food tastes any different whether you are are in formal or not.

- it is my holiday.  I go to enjoy myself and switch off.  I do not want to do formal night.  I don’t have to do formal night.  I accept there are parts of the ship I cannot access on formal night. 
- those in formal wear are as jovial as those in non-formal wear as in my experience.  I enjoyed a meal in the Beach House in non-formal next to a table of formal wear and they were very rowdy.

- do what makes you happy and comfy and don’t worry about what others think or do.  If people want to get wound up by me not wearing formal then let them.  It’s not my problem, pick yer battles and all that!

We have skipped formal on the last couple of cruises, but respect the restrictions. Beach House, or Glass House those nights does us fine

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

Times are changing.  I am heading home from the office having ended the day with a discussion over the wearing of… what do you call them again… erm… ties!  That’s it.  Been a while since I wore one but some still do.  That’s another marmite thing.  

I’m surprised the Glass House wasn’t formal.  I thought it would be so never ventured near it on formal night. 

• Like 1