REGAL Princess food in the MDR

daka

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Wow....   has this board declined to, this....

More than just one person has reported some pretty bad food on the Regal and a couple of other ships recently.

I am glad for all feedback.

So, five or possibly six people have reported bad food out of 30,000 passengers. I wouldn't worry !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First time poster here. Agree with others that most people tend to be satisfied with food and don't post. We have been on Regal twice this year, and the first time the food was absolutely excellent every night and the second time the food was excellent most nights and still good on the others.

We tend to like the consistency of Princess and find that there is always something fairly simple to be found on the menu. As Brits in our 30s on an American cruise line it still caters for my partner and I really well. 

On a side note, I would hope the fettuccine comes back nightly though... Always a personal favourite (can we please start a petition?!) 

Recently completed a cruise on Celebrity Reflection (Aqua Class).  We have noticed a significant decrease in portion size, and choice on the menu.  

Buffet was still fairly good.

The cruise lines have not fully recovered from their enormous loses during the pandemic, and are trying to make up for it by cost cutting. 

P.S.....prefer Princess Club Class. 

• Like 2

I am happy to hear of those who have had good food in the Regal.

But, I still note that these all seem to be before these latest Caribbean sailings.

Good reports do not always mean excellent quality at this time.

I see other threads here.  And would love to see more very recent or current people on Regal chime in!

Our last two sailings,  the first one the food was just awful.  It just was.  It wasn't the menus or the ingredients,  It definitely was the bad management and preparation.    The second one, was MUCH better.

Anybody who likes to think that any reports of bad food on  Princess ships are not valid, or are from 'haters' who should be put on ignore, might not be right.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Sorry that the post repeated itself...

As far as the food ...for example ROAST BEEF sliced from a whole beef that was so tough that it could not be chewed and had to be spit out...not once, but TWICE and then again as the TURF in a SURF and TURF totally unacceptable that was just inferior meat 

My other meal of VEAL SCALLOPINI on mashed potatoes..no sauce or mushrooms !!

Along with my other observations....UNACCEPTABLE....

On of the reasons for cruising is to ENJOY the FOOD....

And if you don't care for my comments...DON"T READ THEM...these are MY OBSERVATIONS  YMMV

• Like 1

Thank you Daka.    While food is subjective,  I do know that sometimes the food on a cruise CAN be, just, bad.   I've seen a couple of those.

I made the mistake of posting about it, ONCE...  and got the same unacceptable toxic and negative response back, years ago, after a cruise on the Ruby.

I am talking, the bacon must have not been pre-thawed, and it is like they took huge slabs of frozen bacon and dunked it in a deep fryer,   then hacked the over fried, hard, meat into what me and others called 'shards' of bacon!  Hahahaha!!!  (I can laugh now)

The other was on Regal.   Everything was SO overcooked to death and then held under heat lamps,  as well as over salted and seasoned so as to really be inedible.  I feel sorry for anyone who has to avoid sodium.   I have NO problem with sodium or swelling.  My ankles were three times their normal  size when I got off that ship.  No way I could have worn any shoes that came up around the ankles.  I suspect that they were using a ton of MSG, which many, including myself, simply can not tolerate.

To make that worse.  The sweetener, in some unidentifiable white packet  (which should be sugar by standard industry color coding)  Must have been some toxic fake substance.  It took me a full day to figure that out, and that this was making me feel bad.  They had tons of these packets out, but any sugar must have been in short supply, as it was really hard to find. 

The food on that cruise truly had a negative impact on my health.

Thank goodness, my last cruise on the Regal was much better.

Regal was getting decent reviews until the last few weeks.   I wish I knew who the head chef is.   I do know who it was before now, when coming from Europe.   And some say the supplies in Europe are somehow better.   Maybe the budget and suppliers allows for higher grades in Euros?  Anyhow, I am thinking it seems obvious that the new Chef(s) and supplies onboard have had a really noticable impact. 

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

I would also like to post about the 'catering', and 'feeding masses' type of thinking.

Yes, that is true.

BUT...  and this is a huge BUT.

In reality, cruise lines have done a much better job at providing a quality dining experience.  It is NOT an impossibility.

Ask those who sail on other lines, like Virgin, who is sailing large ships, with food and dining that is reported to blow Princess out of the water.  (PUN intended!!!)

7 hours ago, daka said:

Sorry that the post repeated itself...

As far as the food ...for example ROAST BEEF sliced from a whole beef that was so tough that it could not be chewed and had to be spit out...not once, but TWICE and then again as the TURF in a SURF and TURF totally unacceptable that was just inferior meat 

My other meal of VEAL SCALLOPINI on mashed potatoes..no sauce or mushrooms !!

Along with my other observations....UNACCEPTABLE....

On of the reasons for cruising is to ENJOY the FOOD....

And if you don't care for my comments...DON"T READ THEM...these are MY OBSERVATIONS  YMMV

You keep posting the same comments.

After a while your  agenda becomes a little boring.

• Like 4

Sounds like it is time to remove this thread as it is getting personal. Was on the Ruby last month and food was generally good but spinach was way over salted. What did I do ?  Stopped ordering spinach. I was ic club class and if spinach was the veggie I just asked for a different vegetable. No problama

• Like 1

I have been watching this, as we will be boarding the Regal soon.  I am very excited!  So, we are getting some cruise info coming in now, and if it is right, the Executive Chef will be Frederico Femiano (sp???)   And that is the same one that has been on the Regal,coming over from Europe.   Makes me wonder what is going on with this change to negative reviews, if the Chef is the same?  I guess we will see!   Maybe that mention I see of Frederico was a mistake, and they need to update that?  Or, maybe it really is the big decline in food suppliers now that the ship is back to Fort Lauderdale?

I will report back in a few weeks, when we get back from our trip.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, Wishing on a star said:

Regal was getting decent reviews until the last few weeks.   I wish I knew who the head chef is.   I do know who it was before now, when coming from Europe.   And some say the supplies in Europe are somehow better.   Maybe the budget and suppliers allows for higher grades in Euros?  Anyhow, I am thinking it seems obvious that the new Chef(s) and supplies onboard have had a really noticable impact. 

I am wondering if it has to do with the many regulations that the European Union has on food.  Food is definitely healthier in most of Europe because of this.

2 hours ago, kilili said:

I am wondering if it has to do with the many regulations that the European Union has on food.  Food is definitely healthier in most of Europe because of this.

I am not sure French butter is good for you but it sure tastes good

On 12/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Gonzo,  if you get the time, later or after your cruise,  please do post more details on the food, and what you thought was good.

Apologies for not getting back sooner we were having to much fun to post.  

We sat in Allegro same table at 6:30 PM every night but 1one (when we went to the Winemakers Dinner).  Gusti and Joston were our waiters.

Not going to go item by item, but food here was excellent.  Consistently. Every Night.  

Service was impeccable, even after the December 26 Embarkation came onboard, and for the 1st time (quoted by the CD) Princess had a completely full cruise.  

Bottom line 16 days of great food on Regal Allegro.  Hope this helps.

Cheers

• Like 2

We were on the Regal last week; except for one item we found the food very good (for some reason the Pina Colada soup was just bland).  The meat in the surf & turf was how I wanted it and the lobster wasn't tough.  Both the lamb chops and lamb shank (CC dining) were tender. My mother wasn't thrilled with the chestnut risotto but I think it was partly that she was expecting something different (her comment was it was just creamy rice).

• Like 1