Premium Plus Beverage Upgrade Is A Joke

gmbhardy

Just made the decision to cancel the plus upgrade on our 15 day Panama Canal cruise next month. The cost of the upgrade was $1,305.00 (Canadian) for my wife and I,  and from what I’m reading on numerous threads I don’t think there’s any value in keeping it. The assortment of premium selections is constantly shrinking as is the availability at bars around the ship. As many posters have stated having to go on a treasure hunt to get something you pay for is simply wrong.  NCL staff have obviously been told to blame the shortages on supply chain issues, but the reality is it’s a cost saving strategy to limit consumption. Trying to get an updated list on what’s included is virtually impossible as it seems to change daily and is subject to the whim of individual ship management.  When you are unable to provide the product or experience you sell someone, it’s not bait and switch it’s fraud.

• Like 11

So, after I saw this post I went searching and found this list of drinks that should be available for Premium +

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Beverage_Packages_12092022.pdf

I noticed down the bottom of the page , in teeny tiny writing a helpful link so I could go and see more things....

For further details on our beverage packages, visit NCL.COM/beverage-packages.

I copied, pasted and was shocked and horrified to find...the page no longer exists.🙄

I am cruising in February, with P+ on the Prima, I will attempt to find and drink everything on the above list and will report back when I recover....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

So, after I saw this post I went searching and found this list of drinks that should be available for Premium +

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Beverage_Packages_12092022.pdf

I noticed down the bottom of the page , in teeny tiny writing a helpful link so I could go and see more things....

For further details on our beverage packages, visit NCL.COM/beverage-packages.

I copied, pasted and was shocked and horrified to find...the page no longer exists.🙄

I am cruising in February, with P+ on the Prima, I will attempt to find and drink everything on the above list and will report back when I recover....

I’ll be sure to follow 😁 A ”live from…” could be quite nice also 😅

We are next cruising in April with DH. My current aim is to get as much money out of the premium plus package as possible even though I do not even want to drink so much.

Why do I want to do it? Just because. Never make a woman upset by promising unlimited champagne and then do your best to limit it (in just the past few months NCL has removed Moet from the premium plus, blamed supply chain issues for not having enough champagne on board, making it difficult to find a glass of champagne on the ships bars,  limited the amount of wine/champagne bottles to one bottle per dinner pp and limited the drinking of such bottles only to the dinner restaurant). Who knows what they limit still before April… 

If I cannot have my champagne I’ll make sure I’ll order other expensive stuff to the max. It would be much cheaper for NCL to just give me my champagne without a hassle 😏

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I’ll be sure to follow 😁 A ”live from…” could be quite nice also 😅

....limited the amount of wine/champagne bottles to one bottle per dinner pp and limited the drinking of such bottles only to the dinner restaurant). Who knows what they limit still before April… 

I accept that challenge!!  One bottle at dinner each , and then I will just ask for glasses, 2 at a time. DH will have to pour me into the elevator....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't expect every last bottle of what was on the list would be available at all times on every ship.  I know what's important to me (Champagne and San Pellegrino) and haven't heard of widespread outages there so I'll likely upgrade, though I have almost a year to worry about it.

You can upgrade to P+ on the ship, I'm told, so maybe that's your best bet.  After boarding, try a couple bars to see whether the bottles important to you are available, then upgrade or not based on that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Btw just noticed that the package now says that the premium plus package includes ”Energy drinks and ZERO Sugar beverage selection”. 

As NCL just moved to Coca Cola products and they have the Zero (light) product line does it mean that if you have only the basic free at sea beverage package you are limited to the sugary sodas only? Previously they mentioned the list like Pepsi, Diet Pepsi etc on the beverage package but now the basic beverage package only says ”sodas” and doesn’t aknowledge diet sodas separately 🤔 How nice if only premium beverage package folks can get zero sugar sodas…

19 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Never make a woman upset by promising unlimited champagne and then do your best to limit it (in just the past few months NCL has removed Moet from the premium plus, blamed supply chain issues for not having enough champagne on board, making it difficult to find a glass of champagne on the ships bars,  limited the amount of wine/champagne bottles to one bottle per dinner pp and limited the drinking of such bottles only to the dinner restaurant). Who knows what they limit still before April… 

I just looked at the current P+ list and Moet is still on there.  Also, I was on a cruise in October where I had multiple bottles at dinner so if that changed it's a recent event.  Also, I haven't heard that they wouldn't allow you to bring an opened bottle back to your room.

9 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I just looked at the current P+ list and Moet is still on there.  Also, I was on a cruise in October where I had multiple bottles at dinner so if that changed it's a recent event.  Also, I haven't heard that they wouldn't allow you to bring an opened bottle back to your room.

A change has ocurred recently. It states:

1. no Moet 

2. only one bottle per person during dinner

3. bottles must be consumed in the dining room 

Just adding the link to 12/22 list here even though it can be also found from above 😊 https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Beverage_Packages_12092022.pdf

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phillygwm said:

Most recent P+ is dated 12/9. No Moet, but Veuve is still there.

2 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

A change has ocurred on 12/22. The new list is linked here above. 

Interesting.  I went into my upcoming cruise and clicked on Premium Plus upgrade which still had the September '22 list.

Even so, I'm not sure this is drastically different with regard to Champagne.  Veuve was and is available by the glass and apparently now by the bottle with dinner.  I'd prefer that to Moet anyway, though either are perfectly acceptable to me 🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

The disclaimer at the bottom of the current (12/22) PP+ flyer now states "Premium Plus wine by the bottle is limited to one bottle at dinner per package.  Wine is to be consumed at the restaurant".

• Like 4

Destroying the P+ package also diminishes the value of their FAS+ upgrade. If the Internet isn't working, and they haven't been hitting all the ports to enjoy the excursions, is THAT upgrade even worth it? 

NCL should read these complaints before they reach their spring break and summer cruises. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CWMixer said:

The disclaimer at the bottom of the current (12/22) PP+ flyer now states "Premium Plus wine by the bottle is limited to one bottle at dinner per package.  Wine is to be consumed at the restaurant".

OK, well I suppose I'll be ordering a lot of wine by the glass!  Not allowing people to take a partial bottle back with them seems pointless and wasteful.  I never did that personally, because I could just get wine by the glass at the bars, but I know many do.  Of course, if you're limited to one bottle, there's less to go to waste.

On the older lists, the wine is broken down by the glass versus by the bottle with dinner.  The way I'm reading the new list, there's no longer that distinction.  That probably makes sense for NCL as it reduces the wine SKUs onboard.  Or, possibly, those are just the per glass options and bottles aren't listed.  I know I'm reading a lot into an interpretation to make it favorable. 🙂 

Veuve is usually a few bucks more per bottle than Moet so interesting they went in that direction, especially since both are LVMH houses.  I'm glad they at least kept the Chateauneuf du Pape, though.

Edited by phillygwm

28 minutes ago, CWMixer said:

what does "per package" mean? If there are two of us with the upgrade in the same stateroom, is that 2 packages? Or one package for two people? This change is NOT good- as primarily wine drinkers, being able to take open bottles back to the room was one of the main reasons for the upgrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

3 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

Let the reader beware.  Those lists are NOT accurate.  It seems to now vary by week and by ship, but we know that Bulleit and Crown are now $16 and thus not fully included in the basic package.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Let the reader beware.  Those lists are NOT accurate.  It seems to now vary by week and by ship, but we know that Bulleit and Crown are now $16 and thus not fully included in the basic package.

I would have printout of this (or the newest list) with me , demanding an audience with the Food and Beverage manager.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

I would have printout of this (or the newest list) with me , demanding an audience with the Food and Beverage manager.

I’m usually not one to complain about anything but I’m going to save a copy of the latest to have with me in a couple weeks when I cruise….

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

To what end? What solution will you seek if the beverage is unavailable? NCL won't refund you as the list/marketing clearly states that beverages are provided on an as available basis. 

• Like 1

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

To what end? What solution will you seek if the beverage is unavailable? NCL won't refund you as the list/marketing clearly states that beverages are provided on an as available basis. 

I’m not worried about that, if it’s unavailable it’s unavailable I’m just thinking more along the lines of something available on the “standard” package (what I have) and then wanting to up charge it

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

If something is not available that is understandable, but if something is priced wrong according to their own most recent publication, then that should be questioned.

• Like 5